Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ex-sheriff Joe Arpaio found guilty of criminal contempt of court
(08-31-2017, 06:43 PM)PhilHos Wrote: C'mon, Bel, this isn't the first time a presidential pardon has been used like this.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-arpaio-pardon-has-plenty-of-precedents-that-got-other-presidents-in-trouble/

Essentially, Trump is not really setting any kind of precedent. And while I understand your concerns to how this could possibly effect future situations facing the court, taking away a power from the president that is specifically expressed in the Constitution with anything short of an ammendment is a far more worrisome precendent, IMO.

And I would have accepted a court challenge to every one of those pardons. I understand what you are saying, but contrary to popular belief, the amendment process is not the only way the Constitution changes. The Constitution is changed by the political and legal processes far more often than the amendment process. It isn't as formal a change, but it happens often. I would have been happy to see the pardon power have limits in place before, but if this is the challenge to do it, then so be it.

Also, commutations in that list are different, as that does not void the conviction.
(08-31-2017, 11:59 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Look at you making assumptions about people. Too bad that all of the actual conservatives and not party-line toers I know of would agree with her.

Jennifer Rubin is the worst. She has a long history of being anything but a conservative. Besides the Washington post isn't going to put an actual conservative on staff anyway. Same for the NYT.

Same reason morning Joe is the "conseevative" voice st MSNBC.

If conservative means GOP progressive then they are conservatives.
This sowed up in my FB memories from last year.  Seems a good place to put it.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2016/09/30/trump_to_obama_do_not_pardon_hillary_clinton_or_her_co-conspirators.html

Quote:Trump to Obama: Do Not Pardon Hillary Clinton "Or Her Co-Conspirators"

At a campaign rally in Novi, Michigan Friday evening, Donald Trump asked President Barack Obama not to "pardon Clinton and her co-conspirators" if any charges were filed related to the email scandal.

"Mr. President," Trump said. "Will you pledge not to issue a pardon to Hillary Clinton and her co-conspirators for their many crimes against our country, and against society itself. No one is above the law."

Related VideoTrump: Media Attacks On Me "The Greatest Pile-On In The History Of America"

Quote:DONALD TRUMP: If she gets the chance, she will put the Oval Office up for sale, like she always does. 

Remember folks, she's been doing this for 30 years. She deleted and bleached 33,000 emails after a Congressional subpoena. You can't do that!

And here's a demand I'm making today to President Obama: Mr. President, will you pledge not to issue a pardon to Hillary Clinton and her co-conspirators for their many crimes against our country, and against society itself?

No one is above the law. Clinton and her cronies will say anything, do anything, lie about anything to keep their grip on power

Watch the full event below: 

We have be being punked...right?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(10-01-2017, 10:56 AM)GMDino Wrote: This sowed up in my FB memories from last year.  Seems a good place to put it.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2016/09/30/trump_to_obama_do_not_pardon_hillary_clinton_or_her_co-conspirators.html

We have be being punked...right?

What is the point of your apples and oranges comparison?
(10-01-2017, 12:50 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: What is the point of your apples and oranges comparison?

That he pardoned a guy despite "believing":

Quote:No one is above the law. Clinton and her cronies will say anything, do anything, lie about anything to keep their grip on power

ThumbsUp
(10-01-2017, 01:02 PM)GMDino Wrote: That he pardoned a guy despite "believing":

ThumbsUp

Pardoning someone doesn't put them above the law, it's part of the law.  He was specifically talking about Hillary and her "accomplices".  You can believe that Hillary does not deserve a pardon, but that Arapaio does.  There's no logical inconsistency there.  So again, I ask what was the point of your post?
(10-01-2017, 01:04 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Pardoning someone doesn't put them above the law, it's part of the law.  He was specifically talking about Hillary and her "accomplices".  You can believe that Hillary does not deserve a pardon, but that Arapaio does.  There's no logical inconsistency there.  So again, I ask what was the point of your post?

okey dokey.
(10-01-2017, 01:11 PM)GMDino Wrote: okey dokey.

That's one way of saying you were completely wrong.  I accept your apology for wasting our time.