Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excitement after a loss?
So I'm disappointed we couldn't pull out the win today, but overall I'm feeling really good about where this team is headed right now (as early as it is). And it got me to thinking... when was the last time I felt this good after a loss?

For me two things come to mind, I think you'd have to go allllllllllllllllll the way back to Marvin Lewis's second game against the Oakland Raiders, which was the first time we first got a glimpse that change was on the way. I'd also point to the Bengals/Colts game in 2005 when Palmer's Bengals went toe-to-toe with Manning's Colts.

There are no moral victories, but I think you can come off of a loss feeling better about your team. Any other examples come to mind?
Reply/Quote
Mine was the hail mary game against Ravens we had no buisiness tying that game even though we lost in overtime
Reply/Quote
The heartbreaking loss to Denver week one in 2009 comes to mind. I thought we were gonna be good after the way we finished in 2008, but that game proved it. Nobody thought either team was worth a damn but I remember thinking both of those teams were better than the analysts predicted.

On the flip side, I believe we beat the Ravens one year on MNF and everyone thought they were gonna be really good and so would we. I felt sick after that win though even though the talking heads were actually talking us up for once. It was an ugly game and I couldn’t help but think those were two bad teams. Pretty sure both sucked that year so I was right there too.

I think you can tell a lot from the way your team plays week one contrary to what the announcers said all day long. I think we saw two good teams today and both fan bases should be excited for the season

I also saw a shitty Cleveland team which makes me even happier LOL Clev Sux
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I've told several fellow fans this is probably one of the best loses I've ever experienced.

There's a lot to like about what they put on the field today. Were there bad plays and mistakes ? sure

But you can just tell these aren't the same Bengals.
Reply/Quote
We could have easily won today. And we should have. No excuse for missing a FG. Seattle's a good team. We let them hang around and win. I expect us to take out our frustrations on the Niners.

I said before that I went into this game without much expectations. After the game, my expectations are higher for this team. I think, looking at our schedule, that we should make the playoffs. We got the talent AND the coaching.

WHo dey for the New Day!
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 09:48 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: The heartbreaking loss to Denver week one in 2009 comes to mind. I thought we were gonna be good after the way we finished in 2008, but that game proved it. Nobody thought either team was worth a damn but I remember thinking both of those teams were better than the analysts predicted.

On the flip side, I believe we beat the Ravens one year on MNF and everyone thought they were gonna be really good and so would we. I felt sick after that win though even though the talking heads were actually talking us up for once. It was an ugly game and I couldn’t help but think those were two bad teams. Pretty sure both sucked that year so I was right there too.

I think you can tell a lot from the way your team plays week one contrary to what the announcers said all day long. I think we saw two good teams today and both fan bases should be excited for the season

I also saw a shitty Cleveland team which makes me even happier LOL Clev Sux

I think with some positives from today's game combined with the Browns crashing down made people in Bengal land in much better spirits even with the loss.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 09:56 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I think with some positives from today's game combined with the Browns crashing down made people in Bengal land in much better spirits even with the loss.

With the possibility of the Steelers losing too. Definitely softens the blow. 
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 09:56 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I think with some positives from today's game combined with the Browns crashing down made people in Bengal land in much better spirits even with the loss.

Yeah where are all the "Browns won free agency and are going to the Super Bowl" folks?
Reply/Quote

Browns had the most embarrassing loss of the day. Sure the Dolphins were bad, but everyone know's they are tanking.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 09:44 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Mine was the hail mary game against Ravens we had no buisiness tying that game even though we lost in overtime

I was at that game. Roller coaster of emotions, for sure.
Reply/Quote
The entire AFC North except Baltimore will be 0-1 after tonight.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 09:51 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I've told several fellow fans this is probably one of the best loses I've ever experienced.

There's a lot to like about what they put on the field today. Were there bad plays and mistakes ? sure

But you can just tell these aren't the same Bengals.

I thought the exact same thing.  I'm content.  and I thought our play action plays were good today. 
Reply/Quote
Well...the Browns looked terrible and the Steelers look terrible...so being competitive is good.

There are no moral victories though. We played a fairly complete game on offense and defense and lost. That might indicate that we lack some talent and I still think our offensive line needs improved.

The defense and John Ross were the bright spots though.
Reply/Quote
Two good football teams — Cincinnati and Seattle — played each other today. One of them lost. Do you think the Steelers will pack up and go home and throw in the towel after losing to the Patriots tonight? Of course not! If Seattle had somehow lost, would Pete Carroll have lost his mind? No. This is how good teams play.

With that being said, Cleveland was absolutely horrific today which makes me exceedingly happy. They sucked so bad that black holes in interstellar space are attracted to them.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 10:30 PM)jorev5 Wrote: I thought the exact same thing.  I'm content.  and I thought our play action plays were good today. 

Yup

There's hope down the road, light at the end of the tunnel. 
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 10:37 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Two good football teams — Cincinnati and Seattle — played each other today. One of them lost.  Do you think the Steelers will pack up and go home and throw in the towel after losing to the Patriots tonight? Of course not!   If Seattle had somehow lost, would Pete Carroll have lost his mind? No. This is how good teams play.

I want to see us beat SF and Buffalo. IF we do that, then I'll entertain the notion that we're a good football team.

And IF we play like we did today, we should beat both.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 10:39 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I want to see us beat SF and Buffalo. IF we do that, then I'll entertain the notion that we're a good football team.

And IF we play like we did today, we should beat both.

Are you actually getting positive. I'm stunned
Reply/Quote
I'm not sold on Ravens. Let me see them do that too a non-Dolphin team first
Reply/Quote
I'm happy that someone in this thread said John Ross was a bright spot, never thought I would ever see that written on this message board. It was nice to see a glimpse of the 1st rounder play like a 1st rounder. Let's hope it continues. I am also happy that Cleveland got beat today and let's hope that continues....and Pittsburgh is getting beat up in N.E. let's hope that continues....and, and, and, I'll shut up now.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 11:40 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: I'm not sold on Ravens. Let me see them do that too a non-Dolphin team first

Miami gave new meaning to the art of tanking today.  All they have to do is play half that bad the rest of the way and Tua's Miami bound.  Or Herbert or whoever it is.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote