Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Exclusive: Putin-linked think tank drew up plan to sway 2016 U.S. election - document
(04-23-2017, 12:02 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I don't think it's anymore complicated than Putin preferring Trump to Hillary.

Maybe it isn't. I can't look into this KGB head.
It's just that he supports the European Trumps as well, all over the place. I'm aware the US is way more important and so that's not so much of an indication, but still. His Troll army aids every party that is nationalistic, anti-globalization, anti-muslim and anti-establishment. And in that case, I don't think it's just because he hates the more established opponents.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(04-23-2017, 06:12 PM)hollodero Wrote: Maybe it isn't. I can't look into this KGB head.
It's just that he supports the European Trumps as well, all over the place. I'm aware the US is way more important and so that's not so much of an indication, but still. His Troll army aids every party that is nationalistic, anti-globalization, anti-muslim and anti-establishment. And in that case, I don't think it's just because he hates the more established opponents.

In general I agree.  If Rubio, Cruz, Bush or Kasich had won the GOP nomination then Putin would have wanted them to win.  No doubt that Trump is the most nationalist of that bunch but I don't think Hillary would have been his preference in any event.
(04-23-2017, 06:17 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: In general I agree.  If Rubio, Cruz, Bush or Kasich had won the GOP nomination then Putin would have wanted them to win.  No doubt that Trump is the most nationalist of that bunch but I don't think Hillary would have been his preference in any event.

I brought this up in another thread, but Putin thinks that the US generally, and Obama and Clinton specifically, are the cause of the Arab Spring and the protests against him when he was elected president, again. He despises Clinton because of this. At least this was the explanation given by the former US Ambassador to Russia Michael McFaul.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(04-23-2017, 06:17 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: In general I agree.  If Rubio, Cruz, Bush or Kasich had won the GOP nomination then Putin would have wanted them to win.  No doubt that Trump is the most nationalist of that bunch but I don't think Hillary would have been his preference in any event.

Trump also is the most destructive force. I say that in an effort to be objective about that. I just say, a populist with "Leninist" Bannon on his team can be labeled as destructive in Russian eyes.
If Jeb Bush were the man, Putin might have been on his side too, but probably not as strongly.
(04-23-2017, 07:14 PM)hollodero Wrote: Trump also is the most destructive force. I say that in an effort to be objective about that. I just say, a populist with "Leninist" Bannon on his team can be labeled as destructive in Russian eyes.
If Jeb Bush were the man, Putin might have been on his side too, but probably not as strongly.

From Russia's perspective, Trump was the best choice because he weakens the US internationally, or figured to. Hillary did not. E.g. busting up the Iran Nuke deal would be a tremendous blow to US credibility, even if Russia signed it as well. Perhaps an opportunity for Russia.

His Troll army aids every party that is nationalistic, anti-globalization, anti-muslim and anti-establishment. And in that case, I don't think it's just because he hates the more established opponents.

I agree that is how Putin views elections everywhere. Right wing populist governments in GB, Greece, Hungary, Romania, Austria and Bulgaria, not to mention France, would weaken Europe.  The more "established" opponents mean stability and minimally competent leadership.