Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Expected 1st Round OL for 2021 Draft
(10-14-2020, 09:59 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: I wouldn't mind TE. You're talking about a position that can help to slow a pass rush and get physical with defenders. If it's another corner on the other hand...UGH!

Haven't looked at this year's OL a lot, but Jalen Mayfield sounds like he might be a great value pick around the back end of the 1st or early 2nd. 

I'm prepared for a CB. WJ3 and Alexander are FAs after this season. Phillips will be a free agent after next season. The Waynes relationship has gotten off to a rocky start and the Bengals can pretty much get out of the deal after the 2nd season. It has all the makings of a CB pick for Duke and Co.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 03:10 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Haven't seen him play, but Price is making me very leery of OSU guards.....

I get it... but price was a meyer disciple of mesh routes here he only had to block for 1.5 seconds.... they’re calling Wyatt Davis best guard to come out since Nelson
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2020, 04:19 AM)Jpoore Wrote: I get it... but price was a meyer disciple of mesh routes here he only had to block for 1.5 seconds.... they’re calling Wyatt Davis best guard to come out  since Nelson

Wyatt Davis is one of the few elite prospects in this draft class. I'd love to see him in stripes starting at RG but I could see the team prioritizing a player that could play tackle. 

Sam Cosmi is getting alot of love right now hes having a great year. Alex Leatherwood could take over at RG in 2021 and possibly take over at RT if the draft doesnt fall the right way and they are stuck with Bobby Hart for 1 more year (ugh). 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2020, 01:03 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I'm prepared for a CB. WJ3 and Alexander are FAs after this season. Phillips will be a free agent after next season. The Waynes relationship has gotten off to a rocky start and the Bengals can pretty much get out of the deal after the 2nd season. It has all the makings of a CB pick for Duke and Co.

CB or WR would certainly be the Bengals style, but we really, really need stronger players in the trenches.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2020, 08:37 AM)Synric Wrote: Wyatt Davis is one of the few elite prospects in this draft class. I'd love to see him in stripes starting at RG but I could see the team prioritizing a player that could play tackle. 

Sam Cosmi is getting alot of love right now hes having a great year. Alex Leatherwood could take over at RG in 2021 and possibly take over at RT if the draft doesnt fall the right way and they are stuck with Bobby Hart for 1 more year (ugh). 

I agree with this.

As much as Davis probably is the best G prospect to come out since Nelson, the Bengals have never picked a G in the top half of the draft.
And with the way their season is projected to go, they will be picking in the top half.
As such, they would likely pick an OL with potential of playing OT but could start inside for a year or two like Whitworth did.

I'm 100% on board with OL in Rd 1 though. CB can be covered for a year or two, just re-sign WJ3.
WR can get by with Boyd, Higgins, and Tate plus a mid-round draft pick and/or a cheap veteran FA.

The Bengals seriously should consider getting Dunlap's and/or Atkins's cap off the books for 2021 too, as they may need that cap if they're going to extend both WJ3 and Lawson.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I'm starting to lean toward Wyatt Davis. If he's being mentioned in the same breath as Nelson, sign me up. Nelson turned the Indy line from the one that forced Andrew Luck into retirement to a pretty good one.

Another reason for Davis: quality over potential. If he's a can't miss guy (as much as anyone can be), then I pull the trigger. This team has gotten maimed by bust first round picks on the OL for a long time. We need to start making them count.

Going cheap and mid-to late round round on the guard position has been a bad deal for the Bengals. Might as well get the best.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2020, 02:44 PM)samhain Wrote: I'm starting to lean toward Wyatt Davis.  If he's being mentioned in the same breath as Nelson, sign me up.  Nelson turned the Indy line from the one that forced Andrew Luck into retirement to a pretty good one.  

Another reason for Davis: quality over potential.  If he's a can't miss guy (as much as anyone can be), then I pull the trigger.  This team has gotten maimed by bust first round picks on the OL for a long time.  We need to start making them count.  

Going cheap and mid-to late round round on the guard position has been a bad deal for the Bengals.  Might as well get the best.

It really depends on where we end up drafting.  If we are in the top 5, I'd say no to taking a guard that high.  But if we are anywhere from 8-15, then have at it.  It's a huge need.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2020, 08:37 AM)Synric Wrote: Wyatt Davis is one of the few elite prospects in this draft class. I'd love to see him in stripes starting at RG but I could see the team prioritizing a player that could play tackle. 

I actually think that tackle play has been the better.... oline play has been by far the weakest at IOL.
(10-15-2020, 01:03 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I agree with this.

As much as Davis probably is the best G prospect to come out since Nelson, the Bengals have never picked a G in the top half of the draft.
And with the way their season is projected to go, they will be picking in the top half.
As such, they would likely pick an OL with potential of playing OT but could start inside for a year or two like Whitworth did.

I'm 100% on board with OL in Rd 1 though. CB can be covered for a year or two, just re-sign WJ3.
WR can get by with Boyd, Higgins, and Tate plus a mid-round draft pick and/or a cheap veteran FA.

The Bengals seriously should consider getting Dunlap's and/or Atkins's cap off the books for 2021 too, as they may need that cap if they're going to extend both WJ3 and Lawson.
I think that IOL is much worse than tackle. We play the nfc east I got us picking in the 13-16 range.
(10-15-2020, 02:44 PM)samhain Wrote: I'm starting to lean toward Wyatt Davis. If he's being mentioned in the same breath as Nelson, sign me up. Nelson turned the Indy line from the one that forced Andrew Luck into retirement to a pretty good one.

Another reason for Davis: quality over potential. If he's a can't miss guy (as much as anyone can be), then I pull the trigger. This team has gotten maimed by bust first round picks on the OL for a long time. We need to start making them count.

Going cheap and mid-to late round round on the guard position has been a bad deal for the Bengals. Might as well get the best.
I wouldn’t be mad if we went back to back IOL.... another osu lineman is a back end of rd1- early rd2 josh Meyers. A top 4 IOL player in josh Meyers. Trey smith is another option. Iol to get the run game going.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2020, 07:55 PM)Jpoore Wrote: I actually think that tackle play has been the better.... oline play has been by far the weakest at IOL.
I think that IOL is much worse than tackle. We play the nfc east I got us picking in the 13-16 range.
I wouldn’t be mad if we went back to back IOL.... another osu lineman is a back end of rd1- early rd2 josh Meyers. A top 4 IOL player in josh Meyers. Trey smith is another option. Iol to get the run game going.

You have to draft for the future. 

Alex Leatherwood was one of the best RG in 2018 and is one of the top upcoming tackle prospects. Leatherwood gives the team options in 2021 and beyond.

Jackson Carman at 6'5 335 could cut his teeth a guard for a year too. Don't be surprised if Carman goes top 15 because he was borderline 1st round and just had a great game against the second best edge defender in the 2021 class. 

As for Josh Meyers I'm looking forward to seeing what he looks like without being sandwiched between Wyatt Davis and Jonah Jackson.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-14-2020, 04:00 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And Jordan...

And don't forget Isiah Prince. He sucks hot coleslaw as well.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2020, 06:27 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: It really depends on where we end up drafting.  If we are in the top 5, I'd say no to taking a guard that high.  But if we are anywhere from 8-15, then have at it.  It's a huge need.

Agree.  8-15 is where I'm kind of assuming we'll be drafting.  
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2020, 08:24 PM)Synric Wrote: You have to draft for the future. 

Alex Leatherwood was one of the best RG in 2018 and is one of the top upcoming tackle prospects. Leatherwood gives the team options in 2021 and beyond.

Jackson Carman at 6'5 335 could cut his teeth a guard for a year too. Don't be surprised if Carman goes top 15 because he was borderline 1st round and just had a great game against the second best edge defender in the 2021 class. 

As for Josh Meyers I'm looking forward to seeing what he looks like without being sandwiched between Wyatt Davis and Jonah Jackson.
That’s what I’d be doing.... burrow dosent really get fazed by edge pressure... but like most qbs IOL pressure is what fazes him. It would also damn near guarantee a much much stronger run game... I like farm man but not in rd1. Meyers will still be playing next to Davis but either him or the Tennessee guy(name escapes me atm) in rd2 would go a long way to showing up the oline. Then following year or in free agency get a rt. I love leatgerwood but I’d much rather focus on IOL and then a rt following year.
Reply/Quote
Big game for Alex Leatherwood tonight at 8pm. He will be matched up against Georgia's young edge Azeez Ojulari. Ojulari already has 5 TFLs and 3 sacks in just 3 games. This game will be a big indicator if Leatherwood has cleaned up his choppy feet on his vertical sets and is ready to be the guy on the outside or if he will have to move inside to guard.

Reply/Quote
(10-15-2020, 09:22 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: CB or WR would certainly be the Bengals style, but we really, really need stronger players in the trenches.

absolutely! Im tired of watching these guys get out muscled yr in and yr out by Steelers, Ravens and yes..the Browns i
Some things never change in football....always build a team up from the OL and DL .  You have that and the rest will fall into place
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2020, 01:00 PM)Synric Wrote: Big game for Alex Leatherwood tonight at 8pm. He will be matched up against Georgia's young edge Azeez Ojulari. Ojulari already has 5 TFLs and 3 sacks in just 3 games. This game will be a big indicator if Leatherwood has cleaned up his choppy feet on his vertical sets and is ready to be the guy on the outside or if he will have to move inside to guard.

I'm going to watch some of Trey Hill also, the center for Georgia.  
Reply/Quote
You've gotta wonder if this franchise will finally take its head out of its ass, do some research, and fill the needs of the team with quality players in the draft and free agency.

The emotional part of me says Ja'Marr Chase and get the connection from LSU in Cincinnati, but we'd need to go heavy in free agency on the line for that to happen, which is unlikely.

I'd definitely love that, though, because we'd have veterans protecting our franchise quarterback.

I think we need to improve the interior first with guard play because Joe can step-up if pressure comes from the outside, and plus Mixon can chip, but there's not much you Burrow can do if interior linemen are constantly being pushed into his face.

Taking Sewell in the first and putting Jonah at right tackle would make sense and then Trey Smith in two to play guard.

I'd love Davis in the first just because I'm an OSU homer and I think Big Ten football is a lot like AFCN football, but let's just hope that this organization finally realizes that we can't do anything if we can't protect Burrow.
Reply/Quote
I hope Leatherwood is a better guard than tackle.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2020, 05:21 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: You've gotta wonder if this franchise will finally take its head out of its ass, do some research, and fill the needs of the team with quality players in the draft and free agency.

The emotional part of me says Ja'Marr Chase and get the connection from LSU in Cincinnati, but we'd need to go heavy in free agency on the line for that to happen, which is unlikely.

I'd definitely love that, though, because we'd have veterans protecting our franchise quarterback.

I think we need to improve the interior first with guard play because Joe can step-up if pressure comes from the outside, and plus Mixon can chip, but there's not much you Burrow can do if interior linemen are constantly being pushed into his face.

Taking Sewell in the first and putting Jonah at right tackle would make sense and then Trey Smith in two to play guard.

I'd love Davis in the first just because I'm an OSU homer and I think Big Ten football is a lot like AFCN football, but let's just hope that this organization finally realizes that we can't do anything if we can't protect Burrow.
Yup I agree.... I’d actually prefer a top IOL player in 1 and then a silky smooth speedster like olave in 2(how the hell he falls that far is beyond me) if we go wr early.
Reply/Quote
this draft is just loaded at interior lineman. Could be the best group of interior linemen I have ever seen come out. May be a good draft to grab a rt in 1 and a guard in 2 then come back to guard/center later as one slips.
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't be pissed if they grabbed 2 OL in 1 and 2. I think they need a DL early, too, but there's a franchise qb to protect, and the future is 100 percent tied to him.
Reply/Quote