Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Expected 1st Round OL for 2021 Draft
If you take an honest assesment of the line without fan goggles on we could use an upgrade everywhere but LT. I know Hopkins is a fan favorite around here and a great swing guy but he is an average starting center at best. With a weak dlineman draft and one of the most loaded oline drafts should we just go balls out and go top 3 picks linemen. With the draft the way it is you should be able to get an olinemen in round 3 this year that would be a high 2 most years.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Notre Dame's LT Liam Eichenberg vs Pittsburgh's DE/OLB Patrick Jones II at 3:30 will be a good matchup Saturday both players should be on the Bengals board.

Virginia Tech's OT Christian Darrisaw and Wake Forrest's Carlos Basham Jr. won't likely see many matchups but both should be on the Bengals board.

And for all the non-OSU fans the Big 10 starts this weekend will be great to see players like Jayson Oweh Penn State.

....I need to start a defensive line thread.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
TDN reminded me of another Big 10 matchup the Bengals need to watch Saturday. Minnesota's HUGE OT Daniel Faalele vs Michigan's DE's Kwity Paye and Aidan Hutchinson. 7:30.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I don't care how but we need Penei Sewell on this roster. I'd trade 1st 3rd and 4th for the guy + another pick next year if we had too.

Go watch his highlights. Burrow won't be touched for a decade
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 08:32 PM)QueenCity Wrote: I don't care how but we need Penei Sewell on this roster. I'd trade 1st 3rd and 4th for the guy + another pick next year if we had too.

Go watch his highlights. Burrow won't be touched for a decade

There are a lot of bad football teams out there and he's the best player available, likely the #2 overall.  The best shot the Bengals have of landing him is continue letting Anarumo run the defense into the ground.  Even then, Burrow has been electric and keeping them in almost every game.  He is their biggest threat to landing Sewell.  This season is so weird.  
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 12:34 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: If you take an honest assesment of the line without fan goggles on we could use an upgrade everywhere but LT. I know Hopkins is a fan favorite around here and a great swing guy but he is an average starting center at best. With a weak dlineman draft and one of the most loaded oline drafts should we just go balls out and go top 3 picks linemen. With the draft the way it is you should be able to get an olinemen in round 3 this year that would be a high 2 most years.

True, but you can't just upgrade every position.  I think you can win with Jonah, Hopkins and Jordan.  If for some reason we brought in Spain and he plays well the rest of the year, you really only need an upgrade at tackle.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 11:43 PM)phil413 Wrote: There are a lot of bad football teams out there and he's the best player available, likely the #2 overall.  The best shot the Bengals have of landing him is continue letting Anarumo run the defense into the ground.  Even then, Burrow has been electric and keeping them in almost every game.  He is their biggest threat to landing Sewell.  This season is so weird.  

Which is why I think we'd have to trade up to grab him. From what I've seen though as long as Burrow doesn't get hurt I'd be cool losing out to grab this dude.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
No way we should be trading up. I’d love Sewell, but we have way too many needs besides just OL.

DE, DT, WR, TE...

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 12:16 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: True, but you can't just upgrade every position.  I think you can win with Jonah, Hopkins and Jordan.  If for some reason we brought in Spain and he plays well the rest of the year, you really only need an upgrade at tackle.
Agree. He is serviceable at center and a great swing guy inside. Also just a smart player. But we should be looking for an upgrade after we plug the holes in the ship first.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 12:47 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No way we should be trading up. I’d love Sewell, but we have way too many needs besides just OL.

DE, DT, WR, TE...

You absolutely give up a pick to get that guy.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 12:55 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: You absolutely give up a pick to get that guy.

No you don’t. Especially when we just took Jonah in the 1st a year ago. If the stars align and we pick 2nd or 3rd, great. Run to the podium and take him. But as I said we have way too many holes to be trading up. We need help all over.

Now I’m actually on record saying I’d take him #1OA, and wouldn’t trade the pick for a haul, but that was before I saw how bad this defense still is. We need a DE and DT desperately.

Reply/Quote
The only 2 good ones on that list is

Penei Sewell
Creed Humphries

Sam Cosmi looks alright.
Tiger

2024 MOCK DRAFT (4 ROUND)

1ST ROUND-OT-JC LATHAM-ALABAMA
2ND ROUND-OG-COOPER BEEBE-KANSAS
3RD ROUND-DT-DEWAYNE CARTER-DUKE
3RD ROUND-WR-JACOB COWING-ARIZONA
4TH ROUND-CB-MIKE SAINRISTIL-MICHIGAN
Reply/Quote
Aint no way we pass up on o lineman AGAIN.. yeah our defensive line is absolute garbage, but our offensive line is terrible and we can't afford to let Burrow get killed again next season and not address it. Have to go o lineman. No question.
Tiger

2024 MOCK DRAFT (4 ROUND)

1ST ROUND-OT-JC LATHAM-ALABAMA
2ND ROUND-OG-COOPER BEEBE-KANSAS
3RD ROUND-DT-DEWAYNE CARTER-DUKE
3RD ROUND-WR-JACOB COWING-ARIZONA
4TH ROUND-CB-MIKE SAINRISTIL-MICHIGAN
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 01:21 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No you don’t. Especially when we just took Jonah in the 1st a year ago. If the stars align and we pick 2nd or 3rd, great. Run to the podium and take him. But as I said we have way too many holes to be trading up. We need help all over.

Now I’m actually on record saying I’d take him #1OA, and wouldn’t trade the pick for a haul, but that was before I saw how bad this defense still is. We need a DE and DT desperately
Yes, you do.  Having a guy like Sewell would put this line in an incredible spot.  This year's draft is going be interesting with the short season and some of the guys opting out.
IF there was ever a year to move up and give up a pick, this is the year.  We'll have some freed up cap space to address some other needs.
It would only cost 1 pick (either a 2nd or 3rd rounder.)
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 10:21 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Yes, you do.  Having a guy like Sewell would put this line in an incredible spot.  This year's draft is going be interesting with the short season and some of the guys opting out.
IF there was ever a year to move up and give up a pick, this is the year.  We'll have some freed up cap space to address some other needs.

It cost Chicago two 3rds and a 4th to move up one spot to take Trubisky. But you think a single pick is going to be enough to go up and get a generational type talent LT? You realize OL play is down all over the league right? His value is going to be super high.

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 07:12 AM)Nati#1 Wrote: The only 2 good ones on that list is

Penei Sewell
Creed Humphries

Sam Cosmi looks alright.
What?!?? Wyatt Davis is the best guard to come out since nelson, Myers is a really good center(although probably a guard at next level) Leatherwood is a damn fine if not spectacular rt.
(10-26-2020, 10:21 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Yes, you do.  Having a guy like Sewell would put this line in an incredible spot.  This year's draft is going be interesting with the short season and some of the guys opting out.

I usually agree with u bit not here... tackle isn’t even the biggest need on the team. It’s IOL. Also it would take multiple high picks to grab him. Furthermore our cap space is only 16 million. Wel need at minimum half that just for bates. Then add in Wj3, green if we resign hubbard Lawson. We’re TIGHT on cap space.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 10:47 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It cost Chicago two 3rds and a 4th to move up one spot to take Trubisky. But you think a single pick is going to be enough to go up and get a generational type talent LT? You realize OL play is down all over the league right? His value is going to be super high.

No, it will be just like any other pick.  Whoever is drafting 3rd.

If we are drafting 5th, it won't cost that much to move up.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 11:58 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: No, it will be just like any other pick.  Whoever is drafting 3rd.

To move from 6th to 3rd 2 years ago it took a 1st, 3 2nds, and a 3rd.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 11:58 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: No, it will be just like any other pick.  Whoever is drafting 3rd.

He could go as high as 2nd overall. But we’ll just have to agree to disagree on the cost. I think it will take more than a single pick. Especially if we’re picking around the 8-10 range (which I think is likely).

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 01:21 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No you don’t. Especially when we just took Jonah in the 1st a year ago. If the stars align and we pick 2nd or 3rd, great. Run to the podium and take him. But as I said we have way too many holes to be trading up. We need help all over.

Now I’m actually on record saying I’d take him #1OA, and wouldn’t trade the pick for a haul, but that was before I saw how bad this defense still is. We need a DE and DT desperately.

Right, there's no way this team needs to be trading away draft picks, we need way to many pieces. In fact quite the opposite. If we could somehow trade AJ, Geno, Dunlap, Ross or others for 3rd, 4th, or even later picks I'd be elated.
Reply/Quote