Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expiration date on our core players
We all pretty much know who the core players are.  How many years do these guys have left?       How open is the window?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Geno and Dunlap are dancing dangerously close to the edge for guys with their skill sets. A few years each before the returns start diminishing if you're lucky.

Green's skill set will keep him valuable for his career.

Burfict is a week to week thing. Depends on his "stingers"

Iloka seems fine. Pacman is due to fall off and has had a few moments that give you pause.

The rest of the defense is largely young and up and coming so nothing to worry about there.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2017, 02:17 PM)McC Wrote: We all pretty much know who the core players are.  How many years do these guys have left?       How open is the window?

Three years IMO. Maybe could stretch it out a year or two beyond that, but you're getting into potential decline with age.

Burfict will be 27 in September.
Green just turned 29.
Atkins is 29.
Dunlap is 28.
Boling is 28.
Kirkpatrick will be 28 this season.
Iloka is 27.
Dalton will be 30 this season, but QBs last longer than the other position players. However, once he hits 35, you have to start wondering when the decline will come.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think 3 years.

Green will be interesting to see as he is extremely athletic and makes a lot of leaping catches.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2017, 02:58 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Three years IMO. Maybe could stretch it out a year or two beyond that, but you're getting into potential decline with age.

Burfict will be 27 in September.
Green just turned 29.
Atkins is 29.
Dunlap is 28.
Boling is 28.
Kirkpatrick will be 28 this season.
Iloka is 27.
Dalton will be 30 this season, but QBs last longer than the other position players. However, once he hits 35, you have to start wondering when the decline will come.

Hell Whit will be 36 before this season ends and folks are losing their minds we didn't match a 3 year offer. Seems like they all have about 10 years left
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2017, 02:59 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think 3 years.

Green will be interesting to see as he is extremely athletic and makes a lot of leaping catches.

Might just be me, but I don't see AJ hanging around, the old war horse, getting by on guts and guile.  I feel like he'll hang 'em up before that happens.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2017, 03:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Hell Whit will be 36 before this season ends and folks are losing their minds we didn't match a 3 year offer. Seems like they all have about 10 years left *if they accept a low ball offer*

FTFY.  ThumbsUp
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2017, 03:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Hell Whit will be 36 before this season ends and folks are losing their minds we didn't match a 3 year offer. Seems like they all have about 10 years left

Not everyone is as good or will be as durable as Whit lol.
I personally was sad to see Whit leave, but I thought three years was too long. I would have rather just franchise tagged him.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2017, 03:05 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Not everyone is as good or will be as durable as Whit lol.
I personally was sad to see Whit leave, but I thought three years was too long. I would have rather just franchise tagged him.

This.....and if Og is not the train wreck he was last season, people probably wouldn't have been so up in arms about losing Whit.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I really hope we don't see Atkins and Dunlap fall off anytime soon.
Reply/Quote
I think players like Burfict/Eifert/Dunlap/Atkins have three years or so before we see noticeable decline, but most of the various talent on the team won't even be Bengals then, including all four of the people I just listed.

Starters (or big contributors) who are FAs after either '17 or '18 seasons:
-Vontaze Burfict
-Tyler Eifert
-Kevin Huber
-Clark Harris
-Kevin Minter
-Jeremy Hill
-Andre Smith
-Russell Bodine
-Pat Sims
-Wallace Gilberry
-Geno Atkins
-Carlos Dunlap
-Adam Jones
-Michael Johnson
-Vincent Rey
-Brandon LaFell
-Jake Fisher
-CJ Uzomah
-Alex Erickson
-Randy Bullock
(Add AJ McCarron and Darqueze Dennard if you want.)

That's the thing about the NFL. In a year or two, you can have huge roster turnover, and careers are so relatively short compared to other sports that you can't afford to waste talented players careers by trotting out garbage OLs, or not addressing 1 or 2 big needs in FA, or keeping the same shitty coach that lost all 7 of the postseason games his team has been in. Before you know it those players will be washed up, or taking up a lot more of the cap space, or have left for FA.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2017, 03:02 PM)McC Wrote: Might just be me, but I don't see AJ hanging around, the old war horse, getting by on guts and guile.  I feel like he'll hang 'em up before that happens.

Yeah...I think his game is so based on athleticism and leaping that when that declines he's going to decline. Randy Moss is a great comparison to Green. Moss put up big numbers thru age 32...then fell off a cliff.

That would mean 3-4 more good years from Green.
Reply/Quote
I remember having these conversations on the old board and names were Levi Jones, Willie Anderson, Palmer, Chad J. (O.). Our defense back then was not good so we needed immediate replacements. I heard when Palmer retired our immediate future was over, but then replaced him with Dalton and we proceed to make the playoffs every year until last year (6 years in a row). AJ replaced Chad, Whittworth replaced Levi Jones and A. Smith replaced Willie Anderson. Boling and Zeitler were big upgrades as guard.

A good team got better with change. We all want playoff wins and Super Bowl wins, but the reality is a team can get better with roster changes, we proved it. I don't buy into this window closing crap, the Pats, Steelers, Packers, Seahawks and others prove it yearly, they reload their rosters and win. We can too.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2017, 10:10 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I remember having these conversations on the old board and names were Levi Jones, Willie Anderson, Palmer, Chad J. (O.). Our defense back then was not good so we needed immediate replacements. I heard when Palmer retired our immediate future was over, but then replaced him with Dalton and we proceed to make the playoffs every year until last year (6 years in a row). AJ replaced Chad, Whittworth replaced Levi Jones and A. Smith replaced Willie Anderson. Boling and Zeitler were big upgrades as guard.

A good team got better with change. We all want playoff wins and Super Bowl wins, but the reality is a team can get better with roster changes, we proved it. I don't buy into this window closing crap, the Pats, Steelers, Packers, Seahawks and others prove it yearly, they reload their rosters and win. We can too.

Interesting comparison.  Three of the four have all time great, elite QBs.....the other has a very good franchise QB.  We have a good franchise QB, but he can't shoulder an entire roster.....and he is approaching 30 himself.  There most definitely is a window.  We'll soon see how these teams fare when these guys start retiring.  Look how many teams have been and are still searching for a good franchise guy.  Look how many early round QBs have flamed out.

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2017, 10:43 AM)Wyche Wrote: Interesting comparison.  Three of the four have all time great, elite QBs.....the other has a very good franchise QB.  We have a good franchise QB, but he can't shoulder an entire roster.....and he is approaching 30 himself.  There most definitely is a window.  We'll soon see how these teams fare when these guys start retiring.  Look how many teams have been and are still searching for a good franchise guy.  Look how many early round QBs have flamed out.

You said it yourself, maybe our next QB is a HOF franchise QB and better than AD. Our defensive guys are very good, but none of them are hall of fame material. My point is the future could easily be better as the roster turns over, it could be worse, but we have no idea yet.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2017, 10:10 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I remember having these conversations on the old board and names were Levi Jones, Willie Anderson, Palmer, Chad J. (O.). Our defense back then was not good so we needed immediate replacements. I heard when Palmer retired our immediate future was over, but then replaced him with Dalton and we proceed to make the playoffs every year until last year (6 years in a row). AJ replaced Chad, Whittworth replaced Levi Jones and A. Smith replaced Willie Anderson. Boling and Zeitler were big upgrades as guard.

We haven't reloaded our roster and 'won' in 26 years. We reload our roster and remain mediocre...but never seemingly take that leap.

The fact that we've had several good rosters and haven't won a playoff game in 7 tries seems to indicate it's organizational culture/coaching. Yet...no...changes...are...made.
Reply/Quote
Three years

This is going to be a down year despite the so called "soft" schedule.

We need a dynamic new coach who can sign his own assistants and a couple of drafts with team having best shot in the new coach's second year.

Keeping Marvin after the 2015 playoff debacle has set the team back five years minimum.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2017, 10:46 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: You said it yourself, maybe our next QB is a HOF franchise QB and better than AD. Our defensive guys are very good, but none of them are hall of fame material. My point is the future could easily be better as the roster turns over, it could be worse, but we have no idea yet.

While true, franchise QBs are typically hard to come by.....plus with the spread offense dominating the college landscape, it makes it harder and harder to find a day 1 ready NFL caliber QB.  We were very fortunate to land Dalton after Palmer......remember the list of QBs prior we had?  Only Jeff Blake was really a serviceable QB....maybe Jon Kitna.  

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2017, 11:07 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We haven't reloaded our roster and 'won' in 26 years. We reload our roster and remain mediocre...but never seemingly take that leap.

The fact that we've had several good rosters and haven't won a playoff game in 7 tries seems to indicate it's organizational culture/coaching. Yet...no...changes...are...made.

:andy:

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2017, 11:07 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We haven't reloaded our roster and 'won' in 26 years. We reload our roster and remain mediocre...but never seemingly take that leap.

We have reloaded and gotten better over the ML years so your statement is false. But, we have not when from bad to Super Bowl good roster wise so I understand your pessimism.

Reply/Quote