Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Explosive Runs Are The Key For Us This Season!
I've been saying for so long that, if we can run the ball efficiently, we're the best offense in the NFL.

I always refer back to the one game where you can hear Burrow telling Mixon "if we can run the ball like that, no one can beat us."

We faced seven or more in the box 51.9% of the time, which was the 4th highest in the league, and Burrow still destroyed teams.

This article on ESPN mentions how explosive runs, and just a run game in general, will be key to our success.

Knowing that his time in the league could be running short, I think Mixon runs like a mad man this season and then I think Chase Brown comes in as a rookie and makes some noise.

There's also veteran free agents like Dalvin Cook and Zeke Elliot, I could see us adding someone once the price goes down and we get Burrow signed.

Here's the article:

Quote:CINCINNATI -- Cincinnati Bengals running back Trayveon Williams has a good sense of when a good run turns into a great one.

Once he gets past the first level of defenders and gets to the linebackers, he knows exactly what the stakes are.

“You make that second guy miss,” Williams said. “And then when you really get into space, it’s like, ‘OK, this is the one.’ That’s obviously when big things happen.”

The problem is the Bengals didn't get enough of those big plays on the ground last season.

Cincinnati considers an explosive rushing play to be 12 yards or more. The team’s running backs had 14 of those in 2022, tied with Houston for the lowest in the NFL, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

The Bengals know that number must increase if they want to have one of the league’s best offenses this season.

"That'll be critical for us this year,” quarterback Joe Burrow said at the end of the team’s mandatory minicamp in June. “We all know teams plan to play us with how they played us last year and the end of the year before.”

Burrow is referencing the defensive formations that were aimed at stopping the number of big plays through the air. When Burrow recovered from his torn left knee ligaments in 2021 and the team added Ja’Marr Chase, the passing attack was among the league’s most explosive.

That season, Cincinnati had 16 touchdowns on completions of 25 or more yards, the highest amount in the NFL. The Bengals also had a league-high 8.7 yards per passing attempt. Eventually, opposing defensive coordinators took notice and often positioned two safeties at the back of the formation, forcing Burrow and the Bengals to methodically move down the field.

Creating big carries on the ground could force defenses to commit more players to stop the run, opening things up in the passing game.

Bengals offensive coordinator Brian Callahan pointed out in June that the Bengals had an efficient rushing attack in 2022. But now the biggest point of emphasis for Cincinnati’s offense is being explosive on the ground and not just efficient. Turning five-yard carries into ones that go for 15 or 20 yards is paramount.

“That’s where people get nervous,” Callahan said.

Opposing teams are more than happy to let the Bengals run rampant on the ground. Last season, Cincinnati faced seven or fewer defenders on 51.9% of its offensive snaps. That rate of “light boxes” was the fourth highest in the league, according to NFL Next Gen Stats.

The Bengals know they need to punish opposing defenses and create more pass-friendly looks.

“We're excited about the run game and the running backs that we have,” Burrow said in June. “And we're excited about the offensive line that we have and we'll be able to hit some explosive runs this year and get teams out of those boxes.”

Toward the end of last season, Callahan said the Bengals did a better job of blending their running formation while Burrow was in shotgun, an aspect that remained a point of emphasis this offseason. Cincinnati’s 172 rushing yards — and two designed run plays of 12-plus yards — in January’s AFC divisional playoff win against the Buffalo Bills was the type of performance the Bengals want to have in 2023.

Joe Mixon,  who is entering his seventh NFL season, will have to lead a better rushing attack. Since 2021, just 8.4% of Mixon’s carries are for 10-plus yards, which ranks 40th among 46 running backs during that span.

Samaje Perine, Mixon’s back-up the last two seasons, signed a two-year contract with the Denver Broncos that included $3 million guaranteed this offseason. Williams, who re-signed with the Bengals on a one-year deal, will be in the mix to get more carries. Rookie Chase Brown and veteran Chris Evans enter training camp as other options in the backfield.

But no matter who is carrying the ball for Cincinnati this season, the point still remains.

“Explosive (plays) are everything,” Williams said. “Explosives really dictate an average offense and an amazing offense.”

Our offense will be very explosive and fun to watch if we break off more big plays!
Reply/Quote
With our OL having some continuity in the interior now and having a RB with good vision in Chase Brown I am expecting a
lot more big, explosive runs myself. Just watch once Brown turns a 7 yard run that Mixon would normally get with good blocking
into a 25 yarder. We have really been missing good balance and vision at the RB position, Chase Brown brings both to the table.

One thing I loved about Perine is he had good vision unlike Mixon, you could see it in the screen game where he gave us our
longest TD of all time in the Playoffs. And Perine is anything but fast, unlike Brown who runs a 4.4 forty and is fast on the field
in pads. Just hoping Chase Brown gets a fair shake. Never like it when we just pencil in the starter and are not open to a change.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2023, 05:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: With our OL having some continuity in the interior now and having a RB with good vision in Chase Brown I am expecting a
lot more big, explosive runs myself. Just watch once Brown turns a 7 yard run that Mixon would normally get with good blocking
into a 25 yarder. We have really been missing good balance and vision at the RB position, Chase Brown brings both to the table.

One thing I loved about Perine is he had good vision unlike Mixon, you could see it in the screen game where he gave us our
longest TD of all time in the Playoffs. And Perine is anything but fast, unlike Brown who runs a 4.4 forty and is fast on the field
in pads. Just hoping Chase Brown gets a fair shake. Never like it when we just pencil in the starter and are not open to a change.

I archived this for you buddy
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
I'm hoping none of our running backs explode on the field.. They've have to call off the rest of the game, clean all the blood off the field and innocent bystanders may explode as well not to mention flying body parts in the stands.. "Ewwww! Is that a human liver on your shirt?"  Shocked  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2023, 08:50 PM)grampahol Wrote: I'm hoping none of our running backs explode on the field.. They've have to call off the rest of the game, clean all the blood off the field and innocent bystanders may explode as well not to mention flying body parts in the stands.. "Ewwww! Is that a human liver on your shirt?"  Shocked  

I don’t want opposing RBs to explode, either, for all the same reasons. Well, except Stealer RBs. They can go get bent 
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
Sometimes I get explosive runs from Skyline.
IYKYK
Ninja
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-13-2023, 07:08 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I archived this for you buddy

Thanks Sooner lol

BTW, some of you dudes are just nasty. Didn't even think of that reading the OP LMAO!!! Hilarious
Reply/Quote
IMO the run game is no longer being used to smash mouth opponents. Used to wear down defenses by running a lot and getting good yards in the 4th quarter. Now, seems passing is the new trend. There are still some good RB's in the league, but they are being traded and paid less than most other players these days. I guess it is considered old school.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
I'm ready for running back by committee. I get it Mixon is getting big bucks so we want to make him earn it. And he is good. So he is a big part of the offense. But sometimes it works giving a different guy a shot.

I hope to see what we have on our team at RB. Trayveon is going in to year 5 and is not a bell cow. Never will be, but he only has 55 career offensive touches and has averaged 5.1 a run. He seems to produce when given a chance. Chase Brown shouldn't be a 250 carry guy. Captain America (Chris Evans) won't be a bell cow. But we have some guys who can play. Play the hot hand. Especially early in the season. When you go out and avoid a hole and run into the back of your blocker and get no yards a couple times and the next guy comes in and rips off a long run. Might get the competitive juices flowing.
Reply/Quote
Don't see how a good running game is considered old school and not as important in today's NFL. With the Bengals pass offense AND a potent run game teams are forced to defend against both. They stack secondary for our receivers then surprise them with big runs and get 1st downs like Perine did many times last year. They have to be ready for either. It's like a MLB pitcher that has many pitches he can throw for strikes and get batters out with. Have to have more than a fastball and curve. The element of surprise and keeping defenses off balance.

The baseball comparison I'll always remember a guy named Rose once said the toughest pitcher he ever faced was Juan Marichal because he had 5 different pitches that he could throw for strikes at any time. It's the variety of attack. Long pass, short pass, 4-5 yards a pop, 10-12 yards a pop.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2023, 11:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Sometimes I get explosive runs from Skyline.
IYKYK
Ninja

Link says it all: https://theathletic.com/1028047/2019/06/21/this-is-a-story-about-athletes-who-have-crapped-their-pants-on-the-field-of-play/

[Image: 81clydpy1ml._sl1500_.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(07-14-2023, 10:49 AM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: Don't see how a good running game is considered old school and not as important in today's NFL. With the Bengals pass offense AND a potent run game teams are forced to defend against both. They stack secondary for our receivers then surprise them with big runs and get 1st downs like Perine did many times last year. They have to be ready for either. It's like a MLB pitcher that has many pitches he can throw for strikes and get batters out with. Have to have more than a fastball and curve. The element of surprise and keeping defenses off balance.

The baseball comparison I'll always remember a guy named Rose once said the toughest pitcher he ever faced was Juan Marichal because he had 5 different pitches that he could throw for strikes at any time. It's the variety of attack. Long pass, short pass, 4-5 yards a pop, 10-12 yards a pop.

Running games are still important, as you say.
What's more important though is not being a run-heavy team when you have a strong(er) passing offense, but rather being efficient and effective when you do run.

Look at the Chiefs as a great example.
Chiefs were 25th in rushing attempts, but they were 8th in yards per attempt.
Since Andy Reid took over as HC in 2013, the Chiefs have had a Top 10 yards-per-attempt rushing attack seven times.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I am not sure how we want the running game to be "more explosive" or even better than last year if mostly everything is the same this year...
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
i hope none of our players experience explosive runs while on the field... . Especially not when we have the white pants
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2023, 11:47 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I am not sure how we want the running game to be "more explosive" or even better than last year if mostly everything is the same this year...

You're not sure how people want it to be? Or not sure how it can be?

I would hope/expect the OL is better this year with Volson, Karras, and Cappa having much more familiarity with the system and each other, plus the addition of Orlando Brown.
Chase Brown is also (much) faster than Perine, which could/should add more explosiveness.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-14-2023, 11:30 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Running games are still important, as you say.
What's more important though is not being a run-heavy team when you have a strong(er) passing offense, but rather being efficient and effective when you do run.

Look at the Chiefs as a great example.
Chiefs were 25th in rushing attempts, but they were 8th in yards per attempt.
Since Andy Reid took over as HC in 2013, the Chiefs have had a Top 10 yards-per-attempt rushing attack seven times.

Bingo

As I've said before it's not returning to 1975 ram it down their throat with Earl Campbell stuff. It's being able to pick up those 3rd and 2 and 1/2 yards. It's being able to run in the redzone. It's breaking off a few 7 yard + runs in the game. Make the D respect the run.
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2023, 12:19 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You're not sure how people want it to be? Or not sure how it can be?

I would hope/expect the OL is better this year with Volson, Karras, and Cappa having much more familiarity with the system and each other, plus the addition of Orlando Brown.
Chase Brown is also (much) faster than Perine, which could/should add more explosiveness.
I’m excited about the addition of Brown and the more familiarity the returning guys will have.

I believe that Chase will be running hard and then Brown and Evans could also surprise some people and I think we’ll be getting the most out of our run plays because the defense will have to respect the run game and not be able to drop everyone into coverage but they also have to worry about Burrow.

Play like the Chiefs: run better, not more.
(07-14-2023, 12:41 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Bingo

As I've said before it's not returning to 1975 ram it down their throat with Earl Campbell stuff. It's being able to pick up those 3rd and 2 and 1/2 yards. It's being able to run in the redzone. It's breaking off a few 7 yard + runs in the game. Make the D respect the run.

Exactly.

It’s saying to the defense “we can run the ball and pick up a first down or break off a long or at least give us a second or third-and-short where we make you have to defend the entire width of the field thirty yards down the field.”
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2023, 11:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Sometimes I get explosive runs from Skyline.
IYKYK
Ninja

I'm thinking we should slip some of this into the visiting team's locker room and give them the explosive runs....
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2023, 12:19 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You're not sure how people want it to be? Or not sure how it can be?

Spot on, the running game can definitely be more explosive with what you say here Ocho. No question about it. We will see who wins 
out at RT too and if it is Carman, he can be a mauling run blocker at times which could really help the running game. Jonah does look 
really good though this Offseason from what we seen and if he can stay healthy he could still get better in run blocking.

Chase Brown as you say is much more explosive than Samaje Perine for sure. Vision is also a strength of Brown's, which is huge.

Trayveon also can be explosive he just hasn't had many snaps, he has still averaged 5.1 YPC.

(07-14-2023, 12:41 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Bingo

Yep, it is about balance. As Miyagi says balance in everything, not just karate lol
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2023, 02:07 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Spot on, the running game can definitely be more explosive with what you say here Ocho. No question about it. We will see who wins 
out at RT too and if it is Carman, he can be a mauling run blocker at times which could really help the running game. Jonah does look 
really good though this Offseason from what we seen and if he can stay healthy he could still get better in run blocking.

Chase Brown as you say is much more explosive than Samaje Perine for sure. Vision is also a strength of Brown's, which is huge.

Trayveon also can be explosive he just hasn't had many snaps, he has still averaged 5.1 YPC.

Yep, it is about balance. As Miyagi says balance in everything, not just karate lol

I personally was really excited for Trayveon Williams when he was drafted.

Some people say he's not a bell cow, but the dude was a bell cow in college.
600 carries for 3615 yards, 34 TDs at a 6.0 YPC clip at a SEC school.
Add in 66 receptions for another 561 yards through the air.

So in total, averaged 222 touches and 1392 yards a season (6.3 YPT).

He has solid speed too. Not as fast as Chase Brown, but solid. He's not the shiftiest guy though, which might be why he hasn't gotten more opportunity with such a bad run blocking OL.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote