Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Explosive Runs Are The Key For Us This Season!
Really the RB has a good deal to do with this too - they need to not dance back there. One cut max and then take off running north-south. Decisiveness, smart play and good vision make it happen.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2023, 02:26 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I personally was really excited for Trayveon Williams when he was drafted.

Some people say he's not a bell cow, but the dude was a bell cow in college.
600 carries for 3615 yards, 34 TDs at a 6.0 YPC clip at a SEC school.
Add in 66 receptions for another 561 yards through the air.

So in total, averaged 222 touches and 1392 yards a season (6.3 YPT).

He has solid speed too. Not as fast as Chase Brown, but solid. He's not the shiftiest guy though, which might be why he hasn't gotten more opportunity with such a bad run blocking OL.

Oh yeah, like Chase Brown, Trayveon led the nation in rushing at one time and I was surprised he fell as far as he did, same with Brown.

We might actually have something here in these guys, hard to know with Trayveon as he hasn't had much of a shot yet. Those are some 
great numbers that Trayveon Williams had at Texas A&M. Been 5 years though, hard to expect him just to come out of nowhere and become
a great RB for us. I would think we would of gave him more chances if he impressed the coaches before this.

I have higher hopes for Chase Brown to do what Trayveon did not and take snaps away from Mixon, we will see.
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2023, 02:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Oh yeah, like Chase Brown, Trayveon led the nation in rushing at one time and I was surprised he fell as far as he did, same with Brown.

We might actually have something here in these guys, hard to know with Trayveon as he hasn't had much of a shot yet. Those are some 
great numbers that Trayveon Williams had at Texas A&M. Been 5 years though, hard to expect him just to come out of nowhere and become
a great RB for us. I would think we would of gave him more chances if he impressed the coaches before this.

I have higher hopes for Chase Brown to do what Trayveon did not and take snaps away from Mixon, we will see.

This is kind of the thing though...we don't know what exactly some of these guys are doing (or not doing) to not get more opportunities.
Is it lack of blocking?
Not remembering the play?
Perceived lack of or inconsistent effort?
Occasional drops/fumbles in practice?
Lack of speed/athleticism/strength?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-14-2023, 02:26 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I personally was really excited for Trayveon Williams when he was drafted.

Some people say he's not a bell cow, but the dude was a bell cow in college.
600 carries for 3615 yards, 34 TDs at a 6.0 YPC clip at a SEC school.
Add in 66 receptions for another 561 yards through the air.

So in total, averaged 222 touches and 1392 yards a season (6.3 YPT).

He has solid speed too. Not as fast as Chase Brown, but solid. He's not the shiftiest guy though, which might be why he hasn't gotten more opportunity with such a bad run blocking OL.

Last year was the first year he didn't spend in the tub....
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2023, 03:37 PM)ochocincos Wrote: This is kind of the thing though...we don't know what exactly some of these guys are doing (or not doing) to not get more opportunities.
Is it lack of blocking?

Mixon was #1 and Perine #2. Not much opportunity for the #3 back. Mixon was #1 last year and rightfully so. He was the 4th best back according to his peers on the NFL top 100 players heading into 2022. He was a top 5 running back according to All-Madden and Touchdown Wire. The staff like the bigger more physical Perine for blocking on pass plays and short yardage. And it worked well in not over working Mixon and keeping him fresh. But I hear they are going to take a hard look at Chase. I expect he will get tons of preseason work and practice with the 1’s in practice.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Logically if those opposing linebackers have to worry about play action and running no way they can guard Boyd and Irv over the middle
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2023, 05:25 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Mixon was #1 and Perine #2. Not much opportunity for the #3 back. Mixon was #1 last year and rightfully so. He was the 4th best back according to his peers on the NFL top 100 players heading into 2022. He was a top 5 running back according to All-Madden and Touchdown Wire. The staff like the bigger more physical Perine for blocking on pass plays and short yardage. And it worked well in not over working Mixon and keeping him fresh. But I hear they are going to take a hard look at Chase. I expect he will get tons of preseason work and practice with the 1’s in practice.

Mixon is the biggest back on the roster now. 

Does that mean the staff will have Joe in for blocking now and in for the short yardage plays this season as well ? 

Or have the staff changed their philosophy this season ?

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2023, 03:37 PM)ochocincos Wrote: This is kind of the thing though...we don't know what exactly some of these guys are doing (or not doing) to not get more opportunities.
Is it lack of blocking?

Those are the questions, a lot more goes into being a RB than carrying the ball...

(07-14-2023, 08:40 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Mixon is the biggest back on the roster now. 

Does that mean the staff will have Joe in for blocking now and in for the short yardage plays this season as well ? 

Or have the staff changed their philosophy this season ?

God I hope not or we are in trouble. Being bigger doesn't make you a better blocker as we all know, Sproles and Gio were two of 
the best blocking RB's in the last couple decades as RB's. I have more faith in Chase Brown and Trayveon Williams blocking than 
Joe Mixon. A restructure is in the works for Mixon so he will be around so I am not going back to hoping for Zeke or Dalvin, just 
have to hope Mixon learns from his poor play last season.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2023, 01:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Those are the questions, a lot more goes into being a RB than carrying the ball...

God I hope not or we are in trouble. Being bigger doesn't make you a better blocker as we all know, Sproles and Gio were two of 
the best blocking RB's in the last couple decades as RB's. I have more faith in Chase Brown and Trayveon Williams blocking than 
Joe Mixon. A restructure is in the works for Mixon so he will be around so I am not going back to hoping for Zeke or Dalvin, just 
have to hope Mixon learns from his poor play last season.

Agree completely 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2023, 06:33 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree completely 

Mixon sounds all in, we will see from his effort in pass protection this season. If he shows effort you will not see me hating on him 
near as much. If he can show effort in pass protection and try to be more consistent in his running, where he hits holes with urgency 
and follows his blockers he could have his best season behind this OL.

Not expecting this though, I am expecting Chase Brown to make some nice runs and gain a ton of snaps as a rookie. Brown has the
skills Mixon does not. Great vision, balance and is a willing pass protector. Either way, our running game should be way improved.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2023, 03:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Mixon sounds all in, we will see from his effort in pass protection this season. If he shows effort you will not see me hating on him 
near as much. If he can show effort in pass protection and try to be more consistent in his running, where he hits holes with urgency 
and follows his blockers he could have his best season behind this OL.

Not expecting this though, I am expecting Chase Brown to make some nice runs and gain a ton of snaps as a rookie. Brown has the
skills Mixon does not. Great vision, balance and is a willing pass protector. Either way, our running game should be way improved.

Certainly hope you’re right about Brown although I’ll remain skeptical regarding a rookie 5th round pick until he proves otherwise.  I have very little faith in Williams as he has not shown much so far in my opinion.

I like Mixon, but as you say, he needs to use better vision and hit the holes with urgency. Quit the dancing and hesitation a-la Le’Veon and use his jump cut ability to make guys miss and run through tackles.  He has occasionally shown pass blocking ability but needs to show more effort and consistency before the coaches can trust him to protect Burrow.

Still, I’m very concerned about the RB room.  Regardless of the outcome of Mixon’s court case, I fully expect the League to levy a one or two game suspension given that our schedule starts with two divisional opponents.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2023, 04:50 PM)SouthernFan Wrote: Certainly hope you’re right about Brown although I’ll remain skeptical regarding a rookie 5th round pick until he proves otherwise.  I have very little faith in Williams as he has not shown much so far in my opinion.

I like Mixon, but as you say, he needs to use better vision and hit the holes with urgency. Quit the dancing and hesitation a-la Le’Veon and use his jump cut ability to make guys miss and run through tackles.  He has occasionally shown pass blocking ability but needs to show more effort and consistency before the coaches can trust him to protect Burrow.

Still, I’m very concerned about the RB room.  Regardless of the outcome of Mixon’s court case, I fully expect the League to levy a one or two game suspension given that our schedule starts with two divisional opponents.

All understandable, nice post. I honestly wanted us to double dip in the Draft at RB so this wouldn't be as much of an issue.

But I understand with how the Draft shook out why we didn't. Chase Brown was a steal in the 5th round, if Mixon doesn't play much 
better this season he will take a lot of snaps from him. How many times last year did Mixon have a giant hole in front of him and he 
wouldn't just run through it? Seems like dozens of times. Brown won't miss those holes or play hesitant like Mixon does, like you say 
like LeVeon Bell. It is okay to do that when your OL is allowed to hold all game long, but that isn't the case for the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
Thought all the cheese Skyline puts on their chili dogs is to combat the explosive runs Ninja

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote