Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extended Overtime
I know everybody's all worked up about where half a percent of us are going to go to the bathroom, but I figured I'd toss something else out there. It's really not a political issue, but I figure it'll head that way, sooooo...

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2016/05/17/fact-sheet-growing-middle-class-paychecks-and-helping-working-families-0

Quote:Every week, millions of Americans work more than 40 hours a week but do not receive the overtime pay they have earned. Tomorrow, the Department of Labor will be finalizing a rule to fix that by updating overtime protections for workers. In total, the new rule is expected to extend overtime protections to 4.2 million more Americans who are not currently eligible under federal law, and it is expected to boost wages for workers by $12 billion over the next 10 years.

Quote:Yet over the past 40 years, overtime protections eroded as a result of inflation and lobbyists’ efforts to weaken them. The share of full-time workers qualifying for overtime based on their salaries has plummeted from 62 percent in 1975 to 7 percent today—even though the protections are more important than ever. Parents now have more demands on their time, with all parents working in more than six out of ten households with children. And despite a recent acceleration in wage growth and businesses adding 14.6 million jobs over a record 74 straight months of job growth, most Americans have seen relatively stagnant wages for the past few decades.

That’s why tomorrow, the Department of Labor is finalizing a rule to update overtime protections so they can help millions more Americans. The final rule, which takes effect on December 1, 2016, doubles the salary threshold—from $23,660 to $47,476 per year—under which most salaried workers are guaranteed overtime (hourly workers are generally guaranteed overtime pay regardless of their earnings level). Additionally, this new level will be automatically updated every three years to ensure that workers continue to earn the pay they deserve.

Quote:# Raise Americans’ wages by an estimated $12 billion over the next 10 years, with an average increase of $1.2 billion annually. At the same time, employers retain considerable flexibility in how they comply with the new rule, such as increasing salaries to at least the new threshold to keep positions that are primarily executive, administrative, or professional exempt from overtime pay; paying overtime for hours worked in excess of 40 in a week; or reducing overtime hours.

# Extend overtime protections to 4.2 million additional workers who are not currently eligible for overtime under federal law. Others who may already be eligible for overtime will also benefit as the higher salary threshold will serve as a useful bright line test for workers—and their employers—to understand whether they are eligible for overtime. The number of workers in each state who will benefit from the rule can be found HERE.

# Update the salary threshold every three years. The updates will ensure the threshold is maintained at the 40th percentile of full-time salaried workers in the lowest income region of the country. Based on projections of wage growth, the threshold is expected to rise to more than $51,000 with the first update on January 1, 2020.

# Raise the “highly compensated employee” threshold – from $100,000 to $134,004 – above which only a minimal showing is needed to demonstrate an employee is not eligible for overtime. This upper threshold was designed to ease the burden on employers in identifying overtime eligible employees since it is more likely that workers earning above this high salary level perform the types of job duties that would exempt them from overtime requirements.

# Respond to employers’ concerns by making no changes to the “duties test” and allowing bonuses and incentive payments to count toward up to 10 percent of the new salary level. Workers earning more than the salary threshold are still subject to the duties test to determine eligibility for overtime. In their comments to the proposed rule, employers argued that changing the duties test would be difficult and costly to implement, and the final rule leaves the existing duties test in place. Additionally, for the first time, employers will be able to count bonuses and commissions toward as much as 10 percent of the salary threshold.

Thoughts?

Personally, I'm thinking it mostly gets delegislated after the election, especially the salaries increase (but allowing salaried employee bonuses to count will probably stick).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
This would actually have the effect of making my position eligible for overtime, I believe. I know if would make many people in my office eligible, which will cause a lot of headaches as everyone in this office that is currently exempt works over 40 hours a week and as a state agency they will crack down hard on this.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(05-18-2016, 10:36 AM)Benton Wrote: I know everybody's all worked up about where half a percent of us are going to go to the bathroom, but I figured I'd toss something else out there. It's really not a political issue, but I figure it'll head that way, sooooo...

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2016/05/17/fact-sheet-growing-middle-class-paychecks-and-helping-working-families-0

Thoughts?

Personally, I'm thinking it mostly gets delegislated after the election, especially the salaries increase (but allowing salaried employee bonuses to count will probably stick).

Why do they hate american business!?!?!

This will only lead to price increases and layoffs!!!!

Otherwise I am fine with it.  Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
I'm confused.

What does this have to do with transgenders?

Ninja
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(05-18-2016, 11:04 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: I'm confused.

Ninja

give lucie some time to see this and let you know
People suck

Ninja

Because they can spend several hours trying to decide which bathroom to use, people don't think that time should count towards overtime.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

If these lazy people would just get their work done, within the 40hr parameter !!
Things used get done in a timely manner in the ol' USofA, until we started letting all of those brown people in !!
Ninja
(05-18-2016, 11:10 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: If these lazy people would just get their work done, within the 40hr parameter !!
Things used get done in a timely manner in the ol' USofA, until we started letting all of those brown people in !!
Ninja

thanks obama
People suck
(05-18-2016, 10:45 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: This would actually have the effect of making my position eligible for overtime, I believe. I know if would make many people in my office eligible, which will cause a lot of headaches as everyone in this office that is currently exempt works over 40 hours a week and as a state agency they will crack down hard on this.

My industry is pretty well freaking out across the board. Unless you're in DC or New York, the majority of people in journalism make under $40,000 and are salaried, or they make around that and overtime gets patrolled pretty hard. That number goes down a lot the smaller the paper. And there have been a lot of layoffs over the last decade trying to keep salaries down.

Ninja

Janitors making $45k.
(05-18-2016, 11:07 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Because they can spend several hours trying to decide which bathroom to use, people don't think that time should count towards overtime.

I remember one Bengals game back in the 1990's at Riverfront stadium. A big crowd of women got upset because the lines to the ladies rooms were so long. So they charged into one of the Men's room lines chanting something about "Not gonna take it" or something like that. 

I now realize that they must have been transgender people. I would have never known if it wasn't for the current national transgender restroom crisis!

But back to the OP, I think The Man needs to pony up and pay the peoples for their time. They need their money to pay more taxes (because The Man obviously ain't payin none) so that we can build more Transgender restrooms in our sports facilities so people like me don't get drunk and hit on transgender people while waiting in line to pee! 
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(05-18-2016, 11:33 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: I remember one Bengals game back in the 1990's at Riverfront stadium. A big crowd of women got upset because the lines to the ladies rooms were so long. So they charged into one of the Men's room lines chanting something about "Not gonna take it" or something like that. 

I now realize that they must have been transgender people. I would have never known if it wasn't for the current national transgender restroom crisis!

But back to the OP, I think The Man needs to pony up and pay the peoples for their time. They need their money to pay more taxes (because The Man obviously ain't payin none) so that we can build more Transgender restrooms in our sports facilities so people like me don't get drunk and hit on transgender people while waiting in line to pee!

As long as the pants stay on... Pervert
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(05-18-2016, 11:56 AM)michaelsean Wrote: As long as the pants stay on... Pervert

BZ wears a skirt.   Cool
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

(05-18-2016, 11:14 AM)Benton Wrote: My industry is pretty well freaking out across the board. Unless you're in DC or New York, the majority of people in journalism make under $40,000 and are salaried, or they make around that and overtime gets patrolled pretty hard. That number goes down a lot the smaller the paper. And there have been a lot of layoffs over the last decade trying to keep salaries down.

Honestly, Virginia is going to be screwed with regards to their public employees. Granted, I believe I'm the only supervisor in my office making less than the floor (the others have over ten years in and the system for promotions/raises here doesn't allow more than a 10% increase even if being hired for a completely different job, don't get me started) but only one person that isn't a supervisor makes more than that and all of us put in more than 40 a week. And that's not uncommon. Plus this would mean they would force us to keep track of the hours to make sure we don't exceed, which would be a pain.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(05-18-2016, 12:02 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Honestly, Virginia is going to be screwed with regards to their public employees. Granted, I believe I'm the only supervisor in my office making less than the floor (the others have over ten years in and the system for promotions/raises here doesn't allow more than a 10% increase even if being hired for a completely different job, don't get me started) but only one person that isn't a supervisor makes more than that and all of us put in more than 40 a week. And that's not uncommon. Plus this would mean they would force us to keep track of the hours to make sure we don't exceed, which would be a pain.

I like being salaried just for that fact. I work 60 hours a week, but sometimes that's 40 at the office, 20 at home, or 30/30 during the summer usually. Keeping track of that would be a nightmare though, since when I'm working from home I might be "on" for n hour, "off" for an hour, "on" for two again.
(05-18-2016, 11:05 AM)Griever Wrote: give lucie some time to see this and let you know

Lol i am the ultimate click bait .  Even when I don't participate .... I'm brought up.   
(05-18-2016, 12:09 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Lol i am the ultimate click bait .  Even when I don't participate .... I'm brought up.   

You're certainly the Caitlyn Jenner of this board. Ninja
(05-18-2016, 12:43 PM)Nately120 Wrote: You're certainly the Caitlyn Jenner of this board. Ninja

Hilarious
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

(05-18-2016, 12:43 PM)Nately120 Wrote: You're certainly the Caitlyn Jenner of this board. Ninja

This comes to mind ....   Ninja

Not sure if they could ever have this affect my job. A few hours off the clock per day is a reality with my job. No one is making me stay, but there's not enough time during the day to do all of my duties.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]