Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extended Overtime
This thread just makes me happy I never have to work overtime.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-18-2016, 03:45 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Not sure if they could ever have this affect my job. A few hours off the clock per day is a reality with my job. No one is making me stay, but there's not enough time during the day to do all of my duties.

Usually the big unions have a carve out for this type of stuff.   Plus your contract has your hourly wage for any "overtime".    Not sure how yours is set up but we always Had a section for that
(05-18-2016, 03:45 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Not sure if they could ever have this affect my job. A few hours off the clock per day is a reality with my job. No one is making me stay, but there's not enough time during the day to do all of my duties.

My wife emailed me this morning that she will now to punch in and out and work an 8-4.  She is salaried at a non-profit.  The works one Saturday a month and they have events after work occasionally also.

She's worried she won't get her work done in 40 hours so I made a couple suggestions:

1) She'll have to work over time...and they will have to pay her.
2) They can raise her salary to meet the minimum and she will be in the same situation she was before.
3) They can spread the work out to others.

In the end I told her she'll end up doing work from home or "off the clock" and working over 40 hours just like she did before.  And not get paid for it...just like she did before.

In my case they will count my commission and that puts me over the minimum for now.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(05-18-2016, 04:23 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Usually the big unions have a carve out for this type of stuff.   Plus your contract has your hourly wage for any "overtime".    Not sure how yours is set up but we always Had a section for that

I've never known teachers, union or not, to get overtime. It mostly has to do with the fact that they calculate the time away from the school doing work in a way that grossly underestimates, and they use an averaging system that takes into account hours off during the summer for an average.

I'm sure it happens in some places, but it isn't very common from my understanding. My mother was an educator of educators (taught those in college who were training to become teachers) and she spent time as a union teacher in PA, so this is based on what I have learned from her over the years.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(05-18-2016, 04:27 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I've never known teachers, union or not, to get overtime. It mostly has to do with the fact that they calculate the time away from the school doing work in a way that grossly underestimates, and they use an averaging system that takes into account hours off during the summer for an average.

I'm sure it happens in some places, but it isn't very common from my understanding. My mother was an educator of educators (taught those in college who were training to become teachers) and she spent time as a union teacher in PA, so this is based on what I have learned from her over the years.

It's usually an hourly rate for such things after school hours that aren't stipend related.   You don't get them for grading papers or sorting your grade book/lesson plans.    It's not called overtime but it's what it basically is.... That's why I added the " " 
(05-18-2016, 03:59 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: This thread just makes me happy I never have to work overtime.

Bachman Turner Overdive thinks you're soft.
My biggest concern is this is going to drive down the wages for a lot of folks. Where a position night have gotten $20 an hour before working 60 hours in salary, now they'll pay $14 an say 'sure, keep working the overtime.'
What I see coming to many of those affected, is comp time. Which is still basically a win for the employers, as they never have to pay that OT cash.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
I just don't know how businesses like General Electric will be able to stay open if they have to compensate their workers for overtime IAW federal law.  They'll probably need to reduce employee benefits, shifts jobs overseas, and move their corporate headquarters abroad to reduce their tax liability.
(05-18-2016, 12:01 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: BZ wears a skirt.   Cool

It's called a KILT ya bloody basterd!!! 

Tongue
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(05-18-2016, 05:25 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Bachman Turner Overdive thinks you're soft.

If you ever get annoyed, you could be self-employed...
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(05-18-2016, 07:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What I see coming to many of those affected, is comp time. Which is still basically a win for the employers, as they never have to pay that OT cash.

Pfft, I don't use enough of my vacation to not lose some each year.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(05-18-2016, 10:24 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Pfft, I don't use enough of my vacation to not lose some each year.

Exactly.  The only time my wife has been able to use any of her massively accumulated comp time, is when she has been recovering from surgery, or when she went to see to her mother after brain tumor surgery..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(05-18-2016, 10:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Exactly.  The only time my wife has been able to use any of her massively accumulated comp time, is when she has been recovering from surgery, or when she went to see to her mother after brain tumor surgery..

We used to have comp time. It got so absurd they finally did away with the policy. I think I had a few hundred hours banked up when they stopped doing it.
(05-18-2016, 10:35 PM)Benton Wrote: We used to have comp time. It got so absurd they finally did away with the policy. I think I had a few hundred hours banked up when they stopped doing it.

Even after the described events, where she used a total of about 8 weeks worth of comp, Tina still was paid out nearly 3 months salary when she changed jobs.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(05-18-2016, 10:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Even after the described events, where she used a total of about 8 weeks worth of comp, Tina still was paid out nearly 3 months salary when she changed jobs.

It gets crazy. I had one boss that started me on comp time after corporate found out he was paying me below minimum wage (salary). After a year and a half, I put in a vacation request for the back time, just about seven weeks. He actually hired another guy to pick up the slack.

I think a lot of employers are going to get an eye opening when they realize how many hours their employees are putting in.
i like this rule and i hope it sticks. Though i'm of the opinion the more money you make, the more hours you put in. I wouldn't expect someone making only 45k to be constantly putting in 40+ hours a week.

Or maybe i'm just ignorant...which is possible
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
(05-18-2016, 10:59 PM)Benton Wrote: It gets crazy. I had one boss that started me on comp time after corporate found out he was paying me below minimum wage (salary). After  a year and a half, I put in a vacation request for the back time, just about seven weeks. He actually hired another guy to pick up the slack.

I think a lot of employers are going to get an eye opening  when they realize how many hours their employees are putting in.

Agreed, many employers are milking the salaried folk, to no end.  In some comp time situations, I've heard of folks retiring a year or more early, and getting a steady pay check for the remainder of their time.  State agencies, such as the one my wife works for, are trying to prevent that from happening, but they refuse to hire enough competent staff to spread the work load around.

(05-18-2016, 11:04 PM)basballguy Wrote: i like this rule and i hope it sticks.  Though i'm of the opinion the more money you make, the more hours you put in.  I wouldn't expect someone making only 45k to be constantly putting in 40+ hours a week.  

Or maybe i'm just ignorant...which is possible

It will likely be a bit of a shock for you to learn that much of the actual work in the US, is done by folks making less than 45K.  Do the research, read the job descriptions and responsibilities..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(05-18-2016, 11:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Agreed, many employers are milking the salaried folk, to no end.  In some comp time situations, I've heard of folks retiring a year or more early, and getting a steady pay check for the remainder of their time.  State agencies, such as the one my wife works for, are trying to prevent that from happening, but they refuse to hire enough competent staff to spread the work load around.

It will likely be a bit of a shock for you to learn that much of the actual work in the US, is done by folks making less than 45K.  Do the research, read the job descriptions and responsibilities..

To the bold, my mom's place of employment had this weird 'buy back' for vacation time. You could take the PTO, or they would buy it from you at the end of the year. Or they would give you a percentage of it as comp time. She usually took off about one week of the year and worked there 25ish years. I don't remember the percent, but when she retired, she drew a full salary for about a year before retiring. My wife works at the same hospital now and somewhere along the way they changed that.

To the last part, agreed. About half the country makes less than $45k. And a lot of them are doing it working 60+ hours a week.
(05-18-2016, 11:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It will likely be a bit of a shock for you to learn that much of the actual work in the US, is done by folks making less than 45K.  Do the research, read the job descriptions and responsibilities..

(05-18-2016, 11:57 PM)Benton Wrote: To the last part, agreed. About half the country makes less than $45k. And a lot of them are doing it working 60+ hours a week.

This doesn't surprise me in the least.  I am hourly and make roughly $40k and work 40hrs a week, not bad.   But those above me(salary)...easily put in 60-80hrs a week.  I'm honestly almost content, given what's expected of salaried employees.