Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FA O-Lineman
At this point I imagine the Bengals won't make any more signings before the draft. Nevertheless, out of curiosity, I checked a list of unsigned free agent o-lineman and noticed a few players who caught my attention (in case the draft plays out differently than we expect).

RT Austin Howard: 2017 PFF Grade of 71.6 (#36 OT)
- Austin Howard signed a 3 year, $16 million contract with the Ravens last offseason but they declined his option for this year. He started all 16 games at right tackle in 2017 and has experience at the position.

OG Jahri Evans: 2017 PFF Grade of 71.7 (#30 OG)
- Jahri Evans used to be a well-known guard. Now he is 35 years old and definitely not the same pro bowl caliber player he once was. However, he is still more than serviceable and has signed two cheap contracts the last two seasons.

OG Luke Joeckel: 2017 PFF Grade of 44.5 (#51 OG) and OT Greg Robinson: 2017 PFF Grade of 36.6 (#78 OT)
- Both players were #2 overall selections (2013 and 2014) and have been busts thus far in the NFL. They have each been played at multiple positions for multiple teams and it hasn't really worked out. That being said, they are still young (26 and 25 respectively) and the Bengals have a history in giving second chances to former first round picks.

Would you consider signing any of these players if the offensive line isn't appropriately addressed in the draft? Personally I think they'd rather test the players they already have versus signing any of these, but I thought they were interesting options. No available centers caught my attention.
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't mind Evans on a cheap one year deal. Without signing anyone else we will be relying on a draft pick or one of our young backups. If Evans still has enough left in the tank to beat out the youngsters great. If not a former pro bowler would make a excellent mentor for a year and give us peace of mind that we have a very capable backup if needed.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2018, 01:50 PM)mallorian69 Wrote: I wouldn't mind Evans on a cheap one year deal. Without signing anyone else we will be relying on a draft pick or one of our young backups. If Evans still has enough left in the tank to beat out the youngsters great. If not a former pro bowler would make a excellent mentor for a year and give us peace of mind that we have a very capable backup if needed.

That's a good point... if he would sign for a 1 year $1,000,000 deal, like he did in 2016, then I'm all for it. Like you mentioned, worst case scenario is having a quality, veteran backup.

I thought Austin Howard was intriguing as well. This year's draft isn't strong on offensive tackles and now we have Hart and Fisher competing to start at right tackle.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2018, 11:33 PM)Domata94 Wrote: That's a good point... if he would sign for a 1 year $1,000,000 deal, like he did in 2016, then I'm all for it. Like you mentioned, worst case scenario is having a quality, veteran backup.

I thought Austin Howard was intriguing as well. This year's draft isn't strong on offensive tackles and now we have Hart and Fisher competing to start at right tackle.

I think with Fisher's heart issue fixed and a new coach we will see marked improvement. He showed flashes of what he could do but was just too inconsistent. With the heart issue gone he shouldn't tire as easy which could explain his up and down play.
Reply/Quote
wouldnt mind austin howard after the draft if we go guard center in this draft. However whynot draft alex cappa late. and go Will hernandez first round then Ragnow in the 2nd. Cappa in the 4th or fifth. and now ur Oline is set with depth.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2018, 09:39 AM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: wouldnt mind austin howard after the draft if we go guard center in this draft.  However whynot draft alex cappa late.  and go Will hernandez first round then Ragnow in the 2nd. Cappa in the 4th or fifth.  and now ur Oline is set with depth.

I'd be happy with those picks for sure.
Reply/Quote
I’ve wanted Jahri Evans in orange and black for years.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2018, 08:09 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I’ve wanted Jahri Evans in orange and black for years.

Me too, I would've liked him about 5 years ago but he'd still be a welcome addition.
Reply/Quote