Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
FA RT MDD Simulation
(02-14-2024, 02:52 AM)pulses Wrote: We need a new LG badly as well. Volson sucks.   52 pff and then 58 this year.

I absolutely agree on LG and that is what makes the drafting of Graham Barton so nice. I believe he compares very favorably to Creed Humphrey at center and possibly with a higher football IQ. Barton moving into the center position allows Ted Karras to move to left guard which he also has played at the NFL level. With Barton you get a 2 for one fix or if they are more confident with Karras at center then Barton takes over the LG position which either way is an upgrade over Volson.

This would also allow Volson to work as a swing tackle or backup RT which I think he is better suited for in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2024, 08:20 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Trent Brown or Jermaine Eluemunor are neither one "B" tier free agents. Brown is an absolute stud at RT as long as he can stay healthy. Eluemunor may not be the level that Brown is but he is certainly an upgrade from what we had with Jonah. So you do not think a free agent RT and a highly drafted interior lineman can fix this line so then what would be your answer to fixing it?

Trent Brown is going to play for a NFC team or at least that's what he told his teammates when he quit on them half way through 2023. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2024, 08:20 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Trent Brown or Jermaine Eluemunor are neither one "B" tier free agents. Brown is an absolute stud at RT as long as he can stay healthy. Eluemunor may not be the level that Brown is but he is certainly an upgrade from what we had with Jonah. So you do not think a free agent RT and a highly drafted interior lineman can fix this line so then what would be your answer to fixing it?

Brown has graded under 70 per PFF 6 of his 9 years in the league.  He's not a "stud."

It's 6 of 7 for Eluemanor, with 4 seasons being graded under 60.  He is not a "stud", either.  

Personally, I would sign a stopgap RT in case the draft board doesn't fall the way I think it will, try to draft one or two T's out of this stacked draft class, the maybe look for a C to groom Day 3.  Lack of athleticism and inability to handle elite edge rushers is this OL's biggest weakness.  You're not fixing that passing on draft prospects for B tier FA's.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2024, 10:15 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I do t get all the panic I’m seeing for WR’s. If we take one in Rd.1 fine, but I wouldn’t be too excited over it. I think the young guys will be fine. Besides I think we will find a way to keep Tee. Boyd on the other hand is likely gone. But I’m a huge Charlie Jones fan, so im cool with it. We need to address both lines before we freak out over losing Boyd. I think we tag Tee, if anyone wants him they will have to pay up.

Try to see it from the other perspective.  What have our bench WR's shown that inspires any confidence that they can step in and be productive in a starting role?  Not much.  It's like saying we don't need a RT because you have full confidence Smith can step in and hold it down.

Tee getting FT'd is pretty much a smoking gun they draft a WR high.  When they tagged Bates, they drafted Hill.  When they tagged AJ, they drafted Higgins.  When they tagged MJ, they drafted Hunt.  Really, any mock proceeding with the idea Tee will be tagged that doesn't draft a WR by the end of the 2nd is completely unrealistic.  They still need to replace Boyd and Tee is oft injured and coming off the worst year of his career.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2024, 11:36 AM)Whatever Wrote: Brown has graded under 70 per PFF 6 of his 9 years in the league.  He's not a "stud."

It's 6 of 7 for Eluemanor, with 4 seasons being graded under 60.  He is not a "stud", either.  

Personally, I would sign a stopgap RT in case the draft board doesn't fall the way I think it will, try to draft one or two T's out of this stacked draft class, the maybe look for a C to groom Day 3.  Lack of athleticism and inability to handle elite edge rushers is this OL's biggest weakness.  You're not fixing that passing on draft prospects for B tier FA's.

Be that as it may, both of them are in the top 50 (I believe) free agents this year, listed by...wait for it...PFF!

I think the reality is that guys that rank highly in PFF's numerical ratings are simply hard to come by.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2024, 12:06 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Be that as it may, both of them are in the top 50 (I believe) free agents this year, listed by...wait for it...PFF!

I think the reality is that guys that rank highly in PFF's numerical ratings are simply hard to come by.

Brown is 23rd.  Eluemanor is 61st.

Brown is boosted a lot because he had an 80.2 grade this past season, though it comes with the caveat that he only started 8 games.  In '22, he was graded 67.4.  He also has had repeated weight and motivation issues, and '23 felt like a classic "play to get paid" year and he will slip back to his old habits once he gets a new multi year deal, IMO.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2024, 11:36 AM)Whatever Wrote: Brown has graded under 70 per PFF 6 of his 9 years in the league.  He's not a "stud."

Let's put a bit more data to the situation. You took exception to the high grade of Brown alluding to it being an outlier because of contract. Fair enough. I will take that season out as well as his lowest season grade so that the number is not a swing either way for an outlier. For both Brown and Eluemunor I took out any season that they played under 200 snaps as those scores should not reflect on a full season grade.

This criteria grades Brown at at a 71.2 career overall average blocking grade and Eluemunor at a 67.9 overall average blocking grade. This scores both of them higher than Jonah who scored an average of 66.7 which benefited from a career 77.1 single season.

I am all for drafting a RT to start however this conversation started from those who feel it is not wise to enter a season counting on a rookie RT to protect your franchise. So basically the moral of the story is many are never going to be happy no matter happens.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2024, 03:34 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Let's put a bit more data to the situation. You took exception to the high grade of Brown alluding to it being an outlier because of contract. Fair enough. I will take that season out as well as his lowest season grade so that the number is not a swing either way for an outlier. For both Brown and Eluemunor I took out any season that they played under 200 snaps as those scores should not reflect on a full season grade.

This criteria grades Brown at at a 71.2 career overall average blocking grade and Eluemunor at a 67.9 overall average blocking grade. This scores both of them higher than Jonah who scored an average of 66.7 which benefited from a career 77.1 single season.

I am all for drafting a RT to start however this conversation started from those who feel it is not wise to enter a season counting on a rookie RT to protect your franchise. So basically the moral of the story is many are never going to be happy no matter happens.

You haven't put any more data into the equation.  You have selectively removed data to try and make these guys seem better than they are.  If a player isn't getting snaps because he isn't playing well, that's relative to how good they have been throughout their career, especially when one has had weight issues keeping him off the field.

The debate isn't whether either player would be an ok stopgap RT.  If you remember, the debate is whether these guys are so good that we can just roll into the season with Chase and a bunch of back half of the roster WR's and the offense will be good.   
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2024, 10:54 AM)OSUfan Wrote: The Draft:

Not going to hate on this Mock OSUfan. Would hope we Tag Tee if this is the Draft though as others said our WR room would of gotten so 
much weaker. Love getting Sweat and Leonard Taylor at DT. I might like Powers-Johnson for us more than Barton but it doesn't mean it is a
bad pick either, I like Barton's smarts which is essential at Center.

Good job. Cool
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2024, 10:10 AM)OSUfan Wrote: I absolutely agree on LG and that is what makes the drafting of Graham Barton so nice. I believe he compares very favorably to Creed Humphrey at center and possibly with a higher football IQ. Barton moving into the center position allows Ted Karras to move to left guard which he also has played at the NFL level. With Barton you get a 2 for one fix or if they are more confident with Karras at center then Barton takes over the LG position which either way is an upgrade over Volson.

This would also allow Volson to work as a swing tackle or backup RT which I think he is better suited for in the NFL.

I also think Powers Johnson could work and so could Haynes.
Reply/Quote