Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FA Signing Game
(02-11-2024, 06:43 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: No one is going to throw a lot of money at Reader. The Bengals should give him a 1 yr offer with a low base and lots of play time incentives, with an option for a 2nd year. They should be able to wrap him up with that.

I disagree. I guess it depends on what you mean by a lot. $20 APY? No. $10-$12 over 2-3years? Absolutely. 7/12/12 is still 10+ on average.

PFF has him as the #19 FA, though they do acknowledge the injury could impact the market. 
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2024, 06:26 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I disagree. I guess it depends on what you mean by a lot. $20 APY? No. $10-$12 over 2-3years? Absolutely. 7/12/12 is still 10+ on average.

PFF has him as the #19 FA, though they do acknowledge the injury could impact the market. 

Age as well should bring down DJ's cost. I don't see anyone throwing a ton of money his way with this last injury and his age.

I agree with Rfaulk on this. We should be able to afford him and it shouldn't break the bank. a 1 year deal with a 2nd year option 
shouldn't be hard to do. Last I heard DJ doesn't have Tee's agent either.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2024, 06:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Age as well should bring down DJ's cost. I don't see anyone throwing a ton of money his way with this last injury and his age.

I agree with Rfaulk on this. We should be able to afford him and it shouldn't break the bank. a 1 year deal with a 2nd year option 
shouldn't be hard to do. Last I heard DJ doesn't have Tee's agent either.

Yes and DJ wants to be here....that makes a difference too.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2024, 06:26 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I disagree. I guess it depends on what you mean by a lot. $20 APY? No. $10-$12 over 2-3years? Absolutely. 7/12/12 is still 10+ on average.

By lots i mean play time. He's going to miss a portion of the season so i'd base it on snap counts. He hits certain counts, he gets more money. He plays in playoff games, he gets more money. He plays in the SB, he gets more money. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2024, 01:53 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: By lots i mean play time. He's going to miss a portion of the season so i'd base it on snap counts. He hits certain counts, he gets more money. He plays in playoff games, he gets more money. He plays in the SB, he gets more money. 

I think it may take something like this: 

2024 10M, fully guaranteed.
2025 15M, no guarantee.

Im hoping to hear something about his rehab eventually.  

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2024, 06:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Stopping the run needs to be our main priority on Defense this year, same with running the ball more efficiently on Offense.

Exactly, and if you look back, the defense wasn't particularly great at stopping the run when both Reader and Hubbard were fully healthy.  With those two injured, the wheels really fell off.  

Even if you do sign DJ Reader to a modest contract and he comes back to full health, it won't likely be until later in the season, meaning they'll still need to sign a guy and draft a very good NT to develop for 2025 and beyond.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2024, 01:42 AM)pulses Wrote: Yes and DJ wants to be here....that makes a difference too.

True. We are still a Super Bowl contender and DJ makes a big difference for us when he is healthy. I am sure DJ wants a ring before he retires.

(02-13-2024, 12:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Exactly, and if you look back, the defense wasn't particularly great at stopping the run when both Reader and Hubbard were fully healthy.  With those two injured, the wheels really fell off.  

Even if you do sign DJ Reader to a modest contract and he comes back to full health, it won't likely be until later in the season, meaning they'll still need to sign a guy and draft a very good NT to develop for 2025 and beyond.

Yes, it was a disappointing season in stopping the run. We had it tough with the early schedule, but we all know we have to slow down the
run game of the Stains and Ratbirds if you are going to beat them. Nick Chubb is always tough to slow down though, that guy is great.

Bring back DJ and hope he can get healthy sooner rather than later and bring in a Draft pick to develop behind him. Hoping we get a good 
3-tech that can rush the passer in FA like Christian Wilkins or Madabuike.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2024, 05:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True. We are still a Super Bowl contender and DJ makes a big difference for us when he is healthy. I am sure DJ wants a ring before he retires.

Yes, it was a disappointing season in stopping the run. We had it tough with the early schedule, but we all know we have to slow down the
run game of the Stains and Ratbirds if you are going to beat them. Nick Chubb is always tough to slow down though, that guy is great.

Bring back DJ and hope he can get healthy sooner rather than later and bring in a Draft pick to develop behind him. Hoping we get a good 
3-tech that can rush the passer in FA like Christian Wilkins or Madabuike.

Wilkins and Madabuike are prob out of our range but i would like it too. Probably gonna have to find cheaper options who can rush the passer. I like Madabuike the best of those two.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2024, 07:00 PM)pulses Wrote: Wilkins and Madabuike are prob out of our range but i would like it too. Probably gonna have to find cheaper options who can rush the passer. I like Madabuike the best of those two.

I do as well. The one thing about Madabuike though is that he only has had 1 great season over his career. That is why some might take Wilkins
over him. But to get Madabuike from the Ravens would be ideal. Improving our team while weakening a Divisional rival would be sweet.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2024, 07:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I do as well. The one thing about Madabuike though is that he only has had 1 great season over his career. That is why some might take Wilkins
over him. But to get Madabuike from the Ravens would be ideal. Improving our team while weakening a Divisional rival would be sweet.
Madabuike gonna get 20/yr tho more than likely and maybe a hair more....I agree on the one good season but he's like what 23 or 24?
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2024, 07:16 PM)pulses Wrote: Madabuike gonna get 20/yr tho more than likely and maybe a hair more....I agree on the one good season but he's like what 23 or 24?

Yes, he is young and was the best pass rushing DT in the league last year. He would cost a lot but it would be worth it IMO.

He would improve our Defense so much.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2024, 07:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, he is young and was the best pass rushing DT in the league last year. He would cost a lot but it would be worth it IMO.

He would improve our Defense so much.

It definitely would be worth it if the FO can make the contract work.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2024, 07:16 PM)pulses Wrote: Madabuike gonna get 20/yr tho more than likely and maybe a hair more....I agree on the one good season but he's like what 23 or 24?

Madubuike is actually 26.  But, its the same thing people said about Hendrickson when we signed him.  He had just one good year.  Both were playing on their rookie contracts and got better.  In Madubuike's case he went from 1 sack his rookie year to 3 sacks his second year to 6 sacks his 3rd year to 14 this year.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2024, 01:48 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Madubuike is actually 26.  But, its the same thing people said about Hendrickson when we signed him.  He had just one good year.  Both were playing on their rookie contracts and got better.  In Madubuike's case he went from 1 sack his rookie year to 3 sacks his second year to 6 sacks his 3rd year to 14 this year.

sign me up

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2024, 01:48 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Madubuike is actually 26.  But, its the same thing people said about Hendrickson when we signed him.  He had just one good year.  Both were playing on their rookie contracts and got better.  In Madubuike's case he went from 1 sack his rookie year to 3 sacks his second year to 6 sacks his 3rd year to 14 this year.

Yes sir, he is just getting better and better. It would be a big deal if the Ravens let him test the market and we could steal him.
Reply/Quote