Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FA WR Target: Damiere Byrd
Might be the final chance to actually add a WR in FA who can contribute. Will be 28, ran a 4.28 at his Pro Day, and had 600 receiving yards last year at almost 13 yards per catch.

After that it's basically Marquise Goodwin (basically Byrd with worse catch rate and worse drop rate but was thrown at more) and then a whole lot of nothing.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2021, 12:28 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Might be the final chance to actually add a WR in FA who can contribute. Will be 28, ran a 4.28 at his Pro Day, and had 600 receiving yards last year at almost 13 yards per catch.

After that it's basically Marquise Goodwin (basically Byrd with worse catch rate and worse drop rate but was thrown at more) and then a whole lot of nothing.

I don't see it happening. We'll draft 2 WR's in the draft and who knows maybe someone else gets cut later on.
Reply/Quote
The lack of bringing in any veteran receiver talent makes me wonder if they might go ahead and take Chase at 5.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2021, 02:25 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: The lack of bringing in any veteran receiver talent makes me wonder if they might go ahead and take Chase at 5.

That’s a bingo. 
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2021, 02:25 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: The lack of bringing in any veteran receiver talent makes me wonder if they might go ahead and take Chase at 5.

Your probably right. This is the route I see the team going.

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2021, 03:19 AM)wanga Wrote: That’s a bingo. 

[Image: 7dgbAj4.gif]

Reply/Quote
What about Dede Westbrook?
He's only 27 and put up 717-5 in 2018 and 660-3 in 2019 in JAX.
He's 6'0", 178 lbs. Ran a 4.34 in the 40 and won the Biletnikoff in 2016.

Or maybe Allen Lazard if wanting a bigger target.

Byrd at 5'9" just doesn't do it for me, unless they want a backup slot guy.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Certainly looks that way.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2021, 06:03 PM)ochocincos Wrote: What about Dede Westbrook?
He's only 27 and put up 717-5 in 2018 and 660-3 in 2019 in JAX.
He's 6'0", 178 lbs. Ran a 4.34 in the 40 and won the Biletnikoff in 2016.

Or maybe Allen Lazard if wanting a bigger target.

Byrd at 5'9" just doesn't do it for me, unless they want a backup slot guy.

I like both of these guys too, it is not as bare as some make out.

That is 4 FA WR's that I wouldn't mind bringing in.

Also we have to also look at Pitts as a WR, it isn't only Chase, Pitts can play WR too with that speed.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2021, 10:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I like both of these guys too, it is not as bare as some make out.

That is 4 FA WR's that I wouldn't mind bringing in.

Also we have to also look at Pitts as a WR, it isn't only Chase, Pitts can play WR too with that speed.

I think Pitts could be a WR 1
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2021, 12:31 AM)pulses Wrote: I think Pitts could be a WR 1

I don't think he could.

Travis Kelce had 0 seasons of 1,000 yards until the Chiefs drafted Tyreek Hill. The first season Kelce became All-Pro? It was the year Tyreek Hill became an All-Pro WR and had 17 yards per catch.

Gronk's best season (2011) came when he had Welker carrying the primary receiving focus and put up his highest yards per catch as a Patriot. (Welker was an All-Pro that year.) When Gronk started having to carry the load and be the #1 receiver on the team, that's when he started breaking down. It's no coincidence that Gronk was able to play 16 games last year for the first time since 2011 despite being 31. He was the 3rd target. 

Antonio Gates had his best season when Vincent Jackson took over #1 receiver duties and put up the highest yards he put up with San Diego and had over 17 yards per catch (taking the top off defenses again).

Tony Gonzalez's best year as a Chief? He had a WR that had almost 1,100 yards at 17.5 yards per catch.

- - - - - - - -

A TE needs a legitimate WR threat. Preferably a deep one. They're going to break down otherwise. The Bengals have no Tyreek Hill/Wes Welker/Vincent Jackson.

(They also don't have the OL in order to protect Burrow, but that's not this topic.)

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2021, 10:09 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I don't think he could.

Travis Kelce had 0 seasons of 1,000 yards until the Chiefs drafted Tyreek Hill. The first season Kelce became All-Pro? It was the year Tyreek Hill became an All-Pro WR and had 17 yards per catch.

Gronk's best season (2011) came when he had Welker carrying the primary receiving focus and put up his highest yards per catch as a Patriot. (Welker was an All-Pro that year.) When Gronk started having to carry the load and be the #1 receiver on the team, that's when he started breaking down. It's no coincidence that Gronk was able to play 16 games last year for the first time since 2011 despite being 31. He was the 3rd target. 

Antonio Gates had his best season when Vincent Jackson took over #1 receiver duties and put up the highest yards he put up with San Diego and had over 17 yards per catch (taking the top off defenses again).

Tony Gonzalez's best year as a Chief? He had a WR that had almost 1,100 yards at 17.5 yards per catch.

- - - - - - - -

A TE needs a legitimate WR threat. Preferably a deep one. They're going to break down otherwise. The Bengals have no Tyreek Hill/Wes Welker/Vincent Jackson.

(They also don't have the OL in order to protect Burrow, but that's not this topic.)
Not one of those TE's has the physical characteristics and speed and etc to match Pitts either. And FYI I said COULD not that he WOULD. But I do however think we need to draft him at 5.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2021, 10:09 PM)jj22 Wrote: Certainly looks that way.

so whos trading up to #4
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2021, 04:21 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: so whos trading up to #4

I think it's inevitable now that the Falcons trade out of #4 IMO unless they are dead set on Pitts being the player that can put them over the top on offense with Jones, Ridley and Gage; or, if they feel the QB at that spot is a transformational type QB of the future for them. I could see Justin Fields dropping to them and they could be in love with his potential talent with a year or 2 behind Ryan. 

They don't need Sewell since they have Jake Matthews who's only 29. 
They don't need Chase b/c of Jones and Ridley. 

If I'm them, I stay and take Pitts, take a QB to sit behind Ryan for 1 or 2 years, or Trade back for more picks. 
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2021, 02:39 PM)pulses Wrote: Not one of those TE's has the physical characteristics and speed and etc to match Pitts either. And FYI I said COULD not that he WOULD. But I do however think we need to draft him at 5.

Vernon Davis was faster than Pitts, was taken 6th overall, managed to stay quite healthy, and yet never lived up to his perceived potential because there were many years where he was the #1 receiver, and it wasn't good. He had 0 1,000 yard seasons, 0 All-Pros, and his only 2nd team All-Pro came when he finally had a legitimate receiving thread ahead of him in Anquan Boldin who got added to the team that year and put up almost 1,200 yards.

I'm just saying I don't think Pitts even COULD, let alone if he WOULD. Whole lot of people going a bit overboard on this whole "Pitts a WR" talk to now he could be a WR1.

Reply/Quote
(04-06-2021, 01:06 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Vernon Davis was faster than Pitts, was taken 6th overall, managed to stay quite healthy, and yet never lived up to his perceived potential because there were many years where he was the #1 receiver, and it wasn't good. He had 0 1,000 yard seasons, 0 All-Pros, and his only 2nd team All-Pro came when he finally had a legitimate receiving thread ahead of him in Anquan Boldin who got added to the team that year and put up almost 1,200 yards.

I'm just saying I don't think Pitts even COULD, let alone if he WOULD. Whole lot of people going a bit overboard on this whole "Pitts a WR" talk to now he could be a WR1.

Even if not he should still be the pick.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2021, 12:43 AM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: I think it's inevitable now that the Falcons trade out of #4 IMO unless they are dead set on Pitts being the player that can put them over the top on offense with Jones, Ridley and Gage; or, if they feel the QB at that spot is a transformational type QB of the future for them. I could see Justin Fields dropping to them and they could be in love with his potential talent with a year or 2 behind Ryan. 

They don't need Sewell since they have Jake Matthews who's only 29. 
They don't need Chase b/c of Jones and Ridley. 

If I'm them, I stay and take Pitts, take a QB to sit behind Ryan for 1 or 2 years, or Trade back for more picks. 

Or they could trade back a couple of spots to get like an extra 3rd rounder and still get Pitts, the way things are shaping up.  Greedy and risky.  But yeah, I'm with you.  If I were them I'd take Pitts at #4.

Oh, btw. I believe Pitts can line up as WR 1. He's faster than Auden and AJ, with good block out size and catch radius.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2021, 03:45 PM)Yogo Wrote: Oh, btw.  I believe Pitts can line up as WR 1.  He's faster than Auden and AJ, with good block out size and catch radius.

If he's a number one receiver, why doesn't he have more yards? 770 yards per season in college is not good for a first round receiver. Dyami Brown has two 1,000+ yard seasons. JaMarr Chase has more production in two years than Pitts has in three. I don't see how he can magically become a WR1 in the pros if he didn't do it in college. 
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2021, 07:38 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: If he's a number one receiver, why doesn't he have more yards? 770 yards per season in college is not good for a first round receiver. Dyami Brown has two 1,000+ yard seasons. JaMarr Chase has more production in two years than Pitts has in three. I don't see how he can magically become a WR1 in the pros if he didn't do it in college. 

Because Florida already had 2 good receivers, one tall and one short (Grimes, Toney), perfect for split end and a slot, so Kyle was at TE.  TEs are mostly safety check downs rather than the go to primary receiver usually, especially with the talent Florida had at both receiver spots and at QB.  Of course they try to spread the wealth.  Notice how many TEs are lining up alone outside based on match ups as well now a days.  Wanna play basketball anyone?  Look at the other WR1s in the league with almost the same build but slower (Alshon Jeffrey, Kelvin Benjamin, Auden Tate, Laquan Treadwell, AJ Green, Larry Fitzgerald).  Kyle may not be an elite WR1, but he will hold his own.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2021, 10:09 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I don't think he could.

- - - - - - - -

(They also don't have the OL in order to protect Burrow
, but that's not this topic.)

You just also eliminated Chase with your last statement so if Sewell is there is that your pick or Slater. It appears you are saying we have no choice but to grab an OT and #5.

If so, I agree as tempting as Pitts and Chase are, we need a great OL to start the foundation. A plug and play RT also gives us the ability to kick Reiff inside to a guard position sooner than later.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote