Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FA's the Bengals should target.
(03-21-2020, 11:22 AM)Synric Wrote: Of the free agents left Vonn Bell would be my favorite add and there are people saying he wants to play in Ohio. You would have to think his asking price is high though...

I really like the idea of having Williams and Bell out there together.  The FO is bringing in run defenders and played Williams like a LB a descent amount.  Having Bell and Williams roaming and being run, rush and short coverage threats is a great look behind a beefed up front line.  

There are a lot of remaining safeties and some of the mid level guys are getting 4M/yr.  Maybe he takes 6M on a prove it deal, or Cincy throws a front loaded deal at him.  
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 11:22 AM)Synric Wrote: Of the free agents left Vonn Bell would be my favorite add and there are people saying he wants to play in Ohio. You would have to think his asking price is high though...

The longer he's out there, the better the bargain might be?   Ninja

Seriously, go get him.  5 yr/$60M?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 10:24 AM)Synric Wrote: I've seen a few places they are looking at Safeties older guys like Reshad Jones and Antoine Bethea.

Also the Bengals are asking for a second round pick for Dalton.

The only team that would be interested in Dalton doesn't have a second round pick...

Don't understand, take a 3rd from the Patriots. It would be best for everyone.

Or just do a straight up player trade so they don't have to lose a pick for him.

(03-21-2020, 11:04 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: After reviewing all of who's left on the NFL.com top 101 free agents list, I've narrowed my current "wish list" to three players.

Vonn Bell - Safety  Tough, in the box type that can also blitz effectively and covers the TE rather well.

Derek Wolfe - DE  Bengals and Wolfe were rumored to have some mutual interest.  Lack of any news/action could be because of inability to get medical clearance, after dislocating his elbow, last season.

Markus Golden - Edge  Not sure why a 10 sack guy is still sitting out there available, but there he is.  The 10 sack year wasn't an anomaly, as he had 12.5 in 2016, before tearing his ACL early in 2017.  2018 his production was low, as he was still on the rehab trail, then missing the final two games of the year with an ankle sprain.  Cards failed to re-sign him and Gmen picked him up on a one year "prove it' deal, and he came through.  I'm guessing that Golden is likely looking for a long term contract, and might be worth the risk.  He's exactly the type of edge defender the Bengals would be looking for in their 3-4 hybrid style defense.

Here's his stats.  By all accounts, he had a fantastic season, and looks to have put any lingering injury questions to rest.  Not just the sacks, but 27 QB hits and 13 TFL.  Sign this guy up!

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GoldMa00.htm

Golden would be a very good grab if he can stay healthy.

I agree, would like him but he would be a little spendy I am sure.

Draft Delpit, Chinn or Dugger is my vote.
Reply/Quote
I would still like to add a guy to the defense, that way we can focus our attention to upgrading the offense in the draft. Some guys that I still think could help and fit the budget are:

1) Kamalei Correa (Titans) - OLB

2) Demetrious Randall (Browns) SS

3) Nick Vigil--YEP that guy
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 05:55 PM)schroomytunes Wrote: I would still like to add a guy to the defense, that way we can focus our attention to upgrading the offense in the draft. Some guys that I still think could help and fit the budget are:

I remember watching Correa last year when he had a good game.
Reply/Quote
Getting Vonn Bell would be something. I'd like to see them get Bynes. I'm not sure if Williams as a linebacker is something the team sees as a full-time proposition, but Bell sure would be a huge cap-off to an already impressive offseason haul.
Reply/Quote
Crickets from the Bengals is all I'm hearing. Guessing the front office is waiting for after the draft to what needs they still need to address via FA.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 02:05 PM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: Crickets from the Bengals is all I'm hearing.   Guessing the front office is waiting for after the draft to what needs they still need to address via FA.

Crickets?  They made more significant moves this week that just about anyone had thought they would.  Heck, typically we're still waiting on them to make their first signing outside of the organization.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 03:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Crickets?  They made more significant moves this week that just about anyone had thought they would.  Heck, typically we're still waiting on them to make their first signing outside of the organization.

No doubt. Reader was probably the biggest signing the Bengals have ever got done.

Getting two top tackling Corners to boot and a Guard that can ***** slap Fletcher Cox to the ground?

Never seen a FA like this from the Bengals and it isn't over, hope they can get a trade or pick up a LB.

I just think right now you cannot work out players and guys that are coming off injury won't be signed until you can work them out.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 05:55 PM)schroomytunes Wrote: I would still like to add a guy to the defense, that way we can focus our attention to upgrading the offense in the draft. Some guys that I still think could help and fit the budget are:

(03-22-2020, 03:58 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: No doubt. Reader was probably the biggest signing the Bengals have ever got done.

Getting two top tackling Corners to boot and a Guard that can ***** slap Fletcher Cox to the ground?

Never seen a FA like this from the Bengals and it isn't over, hope they can get a trade or pick up a LB.

I just think right now you cannot work out players and guys that are coming off injury won't be signed until you can work them out.
But do the Bengals want Vigil back???? I say let bygones be bygones on that one....

And, guys, there's still a whole month before the draft. I'm sure they're conferencing together planning out their next moves. They could release Dalton's $17Mill and Dre's $8.75 Mill and have the money to sign some good remaining FA's just sitting there like a Vonn Bell, a LB, etc...

And contrary to what people keep saying about LB's on here:
1. There's still a lot of FA LB's out there
2. Along with the draft with a good LB draft class
3. And after draft releases of veteran LBs.

It's not the end of the world as everyone on here makes it out to be. Geesh!

Sometimes I even daydream about the Bengals taking Burrow, then his WR running mate at #33, then the rest of the 5 or more picks being LB and OG!!! So, I'm with the majority of the folks on here. Lmao!
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 04:38 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: But do the Bengals want Vigil back???? I say let bygones be bygones on that one....

And, guys, there's still a whole month before the draft. I'm sure they're conferencing together planning out their next moves. They could release Dalton's $17Mill and Dre's $8.75 Mill and have the money to sign some good remaining FA's just sitting there like a Vonn Bell, a LB, etc...

And contrary to what people keep saying about LB's on here:
1. There's still a lot of FA LB's out there
2. Along with the draft with a good LB draft class
3. And after draft releases of veteran LBs.

It's not the end of the world as everyone on here makes it out to be. Geesh!

Sometimes I even daydream about the Bengals taking Burrow, then his WR running mate at #33, then the rest of the 5 or more picks being LB and OG!!! So, I'm with the majority of the folks on here. Lmao!

If there is one thing to complain about it is the lack of getting a pick for Dalton and it is looking like we will have to do him a 
disservice and just cut him. With cutting him and Dre like you said that is a lot of dough to work with and there are lots of 
good LB and O-line still out there as you say. I would bring back Vigil, contrary to what some say he did play well late last
season and we know that he is not injured more than anyone would.

Bring back Vigil, sign Markus Golden and Daryl Williams to play RG after cutting Dalton and Dre and it is a fine FA that frees 
up the Draft completely.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 05:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: If there is one thing to complain about it is the lack of getting a pick for Dalton and it is looking like we will have to do him a 
disservice and just cut him. With cutting him and Dre like you said that is a lot of dough to work with and there are lots of 
good LB and O-line still out there as you say. I would bring back Vigil, contrary to what some say he did play well late last
season and we know that he is not injured more than anyone would.

Bring back Vigil, sign Markus Golden and Daryl Williams to play RG after cutting Dalton and Dre and it is a fine FA that frees 
up the Draft completely.

I'm not complaining about the Dalton trade yet. I just comment about it in the Dalton post. You should check that out and get back to me. We don't know what's been happening behind the scenes with trade talks for Dalton. We on here may have been overestimating this entire time about Dalton's value. If any of the 32 teams really wanted Dalton, they could've probably got him for a 3rd rounder or trading a player to us for him. It wouldn't have been that difficult for a starting QB.
I'm still not on board with re-signing Vigil. He's one of the reasons people are so frustrated at the LB room over the last 4 years. Get rid of the problems and start fresh!
I'm definitely not against bringing on a Golden, Daryl Williams, or a Vonn Bell as well. Ogletree,Barron or Whitehead wouldn't be bad either for LB over Vigil IMO....
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 05:15 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: I'm not complaining about the Dalton trade yet. I just comment about it in the Dalton post. You should check that out and get back to me. We don't know what's been happening behind the scenes with trade talks for Dalton. We on here may have been overestimating this entire time about Dalton's value. If any of the 32 teams really wanted Dalton, they could've probably got him for a 3rd rounder or trading a player to us for him. It wouldn't have been that difficult for a starting QB.
I'm still not on board with re-signing Vigil. He's one of the reasons people are so frustrated at the LB room over the last 4 years. Get rid of the problems and start fresh!
I'm definitely not against bringing on a Golden, Daryl Williams, or a Vonn Bell as well. Ogletree,Barron or Whitehead wouldn't be bad either for LB over Vigil IMO....

Heard that we would only take a 2nd rounder for Dalton. The Pats don't even have a 2nd round pick.

This was a mistake if we cannot get anything for Dalton.

The issue to me is that the team said they were going to try and make sure Dalton landed in a good place.

Just cutting him is not what they said they were going to do.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 05:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Heard that we would only take a 2nd rounder for Dalton. The Pats don't even have a 2nd round pick.

This was a mistake if we cannot get anything for Dalton.

The issue to me is that the team said they were going to try and make sure Dalton landed in a good place.

Just cutting him is not what they said they were going to do.

The key word you said is try.  Whose fault is it there's no such thing as a one team trade?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 07:26 PM)McC Wrote: The key word you said is try.  Whose fault is it there's no such thing as a one team trade?

I just find it kind of hard to swallow that the Patriots were dumb enough to think Stidham and Hoyer are the answers for them....
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 08:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I just find it kind of hard to swallow that the Patriots were dumb enough to think Stidham and Hoyer are the answers for them....

I'm not gonna count on them really doing that until they actually do.  Be interesting to see what they do in the draft.  There's the kid from Georgia.  Everybody talks about how smart he is.   There's Eason, maybe even somebody else who they might even see as a better version of Stidham.

Bill is probably telling himself I got Brady at 199.  I can get a guy.   Bill has definitely got a pretty high level of arrogance bout his own ability and it's hard to argue it hasn't been earned.

He just saw Dalton last season when he threw three straight int's to blow up what was still a winnable game.  That has got to be pretty fresh in his mind.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 08:46 PM)McC Wrote: I'm not gonna count on them really doing that until they actually do.  Be interesting to see what they do in the draft.  There's the kid from Georgia.  Everybody talks about how smart he is.   There's Eason, maybe even somebody else who they might even see as a better version of Stidham.

Bill is probably telling himself I got Brady at 199.  I can get a guy.   Bill has definitely got a pretty high level of arrogance bout his own ability and it's hard to argue it hasn't been earned.

He just saw Dalton last season when he threw three straight int's to blow up what was still a winnable game.  That has got to be pretty fresh in his mind.

I could see it with Eason, not Fromm. I actually think Eason is the most underrated QB in this Draft class.

Dalton sure didn't help himself last season and now it shows.
Reply/Quote

Say WhatSay WhatSay WhatSay What
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I think we will address other areas, but right now they are going to be role players, the prices are dropping by the day. I for one would like a LB for depth and would rather get younger though the draft on defense. I wouldn't mind vigil as a backup on a cheap contract for a year or two, but I wouldn't anoint him a starter by any means. I almost could see the first 4 rounds going something like this:

1) Burrow-QB- LSU

2) Ruiz-Guard- Michigan- gotta protect Burrow

3) Dye-LB- Oregon or Brooks-LB Texas Tech

4) Pittman-WR USC

5-7- all defense, with emphasis on TE/WR/RB as college Free Agents.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 08:46 PM)McC Wrote: I'm not gonna count on them really doing that until they actually do.  Be interesting to see what they do in the draft.  There's the kid from Georgia.  Everybody talks about how smart he is.   There's Eason, maybe even somebody else who they might even see as a better version of Stidham.

Jake Fromm would probably be a decent pick for New England in the draft. He is a super smart QB and not a complete statue either. He's just no gunslinger. I could see him performing very well in that Patriot dink and dunk pffense. And he has his moments downfield. Kind of does remind me a little bit of Tom Brady in a way. Except he never won it all.
Reply/Quote