Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FBI & Homeland Sec. Issue Report on Russian Hacking
(01-08-2017, 02:14 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yup. Think of the television series The West Wing. That was at the end of the Clinton presidency, and while that is obviously a work of fiction, the presence of computers in that show is no doubt a reflection of what was occurring in the real White House. And as long as there have been computers connected to a network containing sensitive information, there have been state actors attempting to retrieve that information using less than legal means as well as users that have been less careful than they ought to be with their access to that information.

Security for this information is only as good as the least secure person using the system.

This.  A hundred times this.

That's why I'd rather see someone like Trump just not use them.

(01-08-2017, 02:33 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: While the P.E. is a dolt, there are security advantages to the old ways (although susceptible to old-time spycraft).

There's a reason manned missile silos were never updated.

Definite advantages.  However you just ignore the advancing technology because you don't understand it.  Or worse, comment on it and how it is used when you don't understand it.

Edit: I just remembered an old joke I use when making copies at work sometimes. Stole it from an episode of Happy Days (yes, I'm old).

"I made three copies: One for you. One for me. And one to destroy so the Russians don't get it."
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(01-08-2017, 02:43 PM)GMDino Wrote: Edit: I just remembered an old joke I use when making copies at work sometimes. Stole it from an episode of Happy Days (yes, I'm old).

"I made three copies: One for you. One for me. And one to destroy so the Russians don't get it."

Sounds like something Al would say...lol
(12-30-2016, 07:32 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I know, right? Not like these sanctions are a very similar response to the one we gave to China in 2015 for hacking OPM. There is no precedent for Obama to actually do something about activity like this.

We used diplomacy on China and threatened them with Sanctions. We also didn't throw out their diplomats in a knee jerk reaction.
And just how many more active sanctions can we put on Russia before we push them so far that we can't make reparations with them? Is that Obama's goal?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(01-07-2017, 09:20 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Here's the problem I have with this email hacking thing,

First, didn't Podestas emails get hacked by a phishing email?
Second, the hackers were able to get into the DNC servers but not the RNC.
Third, the hackers put nothing on those servers and only published emails written by Democrats.

What the hackers did was wrong and they should be held accountable.

Here's my problem,

These people who got hacked wanted to run the country and if they were easily hacked with not very confidential information, how easy would it have been to hack the White House, State Department and so on if these people were in charge?

I know, I'm over thinking this but it is something to think about.

The RNC was hacked as well. They just had better security that's all.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/10/us/politics/russia-hack-hearing-clapper-rogers-brennan.html?_r=0

Russian Hackers Gained ‘Limited’ Access to R.N.C., Comey Says

WASHINGTON — The director of the F.B.I., James B. Comey, told lawmakers at a Senate hearing on Tuesday that Russian hackers had penetrated the Republican National Committee’s computer records, but he called it a “limited penetration of old R.N.C.” computer systems that were “no longer in use."
(01-10-2017, 09:04 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: The RNC was hacked as well. They just had better security that's all.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/10/us/politics/russia-hack-hearing-clapper-rogers-brennan.html?_r=0

WASHINGTON — The director of the F.B.I., James B. Comey, told lawmakers at a Senate hearing on Tuesday that Russian hackers had penetrated the Republican National Committee’s computer records, but he called it a “limited penetration of old R.N.C.” computer systems that were “no longer in use."

"Limited penetration"?

Those are fightin' words to Putin.  Everybody knows Putin goes balls deep every time all the time.

[Image: Coz_b_9XEAATTRl-646x437.jpg]

The long awaited sequel to Brokeback Mountain starring Vladimir Putin and Donald Trump . . .

Limited Penetration

Coming prematurely to a theater near you!
(01-10-2017, 08:51 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: We used diplomacy on China and threatened them with Sanctions. We also didn't throw out their diplomats in a knee jerk reaction.
And just how many more active sanctions can we put on Russia before we push them so far that we can't make reparations with them? Is that Obama's goal?

The threatened sanctions were similar to those we used with Russia, including the expulsions. China just agreed to play ball, and we even tried to bring Russia in back then. As for calling the expulsions knee jerk, we've known about this for months. This is anything but knee jerk.

If Russia is going to continue ti be adversarial then I hope we keep slapping sanctions on them. Putin misses the days of the Cold War, his political power feeds off of our adversarial relationship and if we don't respond then he gains more power by making us seem weak. It's a lose-lose for us, but we lose less by responding.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(01-10-2017, 09:04 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: The RNC was hacked as well. They just had better security that's all.

Comey exhausted his credibility. Bringing back concerns about Clinton right before the election (only to do nothing) and then downplaying the connection to Trump and Russia.

He should resign to save the agency credibility. 
(01-11-2017, 01:46 AM)Benton Wrote: Comey exhausted his credibility. Bringing back concerns about Clinton right before the election (only to do nothing) and then downplaying the connection to Trump and Russia.

He should have resigned after he bit his tongue to recommend prosecution.

Maybe it was just payback - he CLEARLY was disgusted by Clinton but either didn't have a smoking gun or was ordered to stand down.
--------------------------------------------------------

This is about to get real juicy boys. Looking forward to all the trumpeteers donning ushankas and moving to the Russian empire their impressionable minds voted to advance.

Side note. Could the average fat **** trump supporter sustain their waist line in a commune bread line reagan railed against? Good luck idiots.
(01-11-2017, 03:30 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: He should have resigned after he bit his tongue to recommend prosecution.

Maybe it was just payback - he CLEARLY was disgusted by Clinton but either didn't have a smoking gun or was ordered to stand down.

Is that what the article you read at RT tells you to think?  Or was it InfoWars?
Without going into all the details the one things that jumps out at me is how the various members of the media said they knew the report existed but didn't want to do anything at all with it becuase it was unverified and unsubstantiated.

Imagine if they treated all of the stories during the election cycle like that.
Ant wait for our resident pervert identifier to chime in on this one.
(01-11-2017, 08:29 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Ant wait for our resident pervert identifier to chime in on this one.

He has.

"Fake news" "Witch hunt"

His attorney posted a photo of his passport and said he's never been to Prague.

As you can see from the picture that is undeniable. Ninja

However this did give PE Trump an excuse to not talk about the POTUS farewell speech last night.

Hilarious
4Chan trolls again. Buzzfeed in damage control mode admitting the report is fake after other media used them as a source to report it as true. lol. This is the entertainment I expected surrounding a Trump political run and victory.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
(01-10-2017, 08:51 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: We used diplomacy on China and threatened them with Sanctions. We also didn't throw out their diplomats in a knee jerk reaction.

it obviously is since obama is a space lizard who is also a practicing muslim
People suck
(01-11-2017, 10:19 AM)Griever Wrote: it obviously is since obama is a space lizard who is also a practicing muslim

Obama should have just done business with them while under sanctions.  Apparently that's A-Okay.
(01-07-2017, 09:20 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Here's the problem I have with this email hacking thing,

First, didn't Podestas emails get hacked by a phishing email?
Second, the hackers were able to get into the DNC servers but not the RNC.
Third, the hackers put nothing on those servers and only published emails written by Democrats.

What the hackers did was wrong and they should be held accountable.

Here's my problem,

These people who got hacked wanted to run the country and if they were easily hacked with not very confidential information, how easy would it have been to hack the White House, State Department and so on if these people were in charge?

I know, I'm over thinking this but it is something to think about.

(01-11-2017, 01:46 AM)Benton Wrote: Comey exhausted his credibility. Bringing back concerns about Clinton right before the election (only to do nothing) and then downplaying the connection to Trump and Russia.

(01-11-2017, 03:30 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: He should have resigned after he bit his tongue to recommend prosecution.

Agreed. This was initially a "shit-or-get-off-the-pot" situation that he mishandled. If they could have prosecuted, they should have done so. If they were still investigating, then they shouldn't be broadcasting results before completing it. 

I'm not sure that this alone cost Hillary the election. But it was fishy, or incompetent. If I were her, I publicly demand his resignation and/or would seek some form of formal charges against him. 
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(01-11-2017, 10:30 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: Agreed. This was initially a "shit-or-get-off-the-pot" situation that he mishandled. If they could have prosecuted, they should have done so. If they were still investigating, then they shouldn't be broadcasting results before completing it. 

I'm not sure that this alone cost Hillary the election. But it was fishy, or incompetent. If I were her, I publicly demand his resignation and/or would seek some form of formal charges against him. 

Then she gets "called out" for being a "sore loser" and "whining".  If you can't win just don't play.  Can't say I blame her.
(01-11-2017, 10:30 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: Agreed. This was initially a "shit-or-get-off-the-pot" situation that he mishandled. If they could have prosecuted, they should have done so. If they were still investigating, then they shouldn't be broadcasting results before completing it. 

If Hillary did that it would just come off as sour grapes and more excuses for her loss which would lead to more bad publicity or fodder for conservative TV pundits like O'Reilly. Best to take her lumps so the DNC can get their shit together. 
(01-11-2017, 09:14 AM)6andcounting Wrote: 4Chan trolls again. Buzzfeed in damage control mode admitting the report is fake after other media used them as a source to report it as true. lol. This is the entertainment I expected surrounding a Trump political run and victory.

I genuinely haven't seen any of this. Do you have any links to the admission of it being fake or the damage control? No reputable news site I have seen has even said these things happened, all calling it unsubstantiated.

Edit: Nevermind, found the latest on all of this.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR