Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FBI raids Trump lawyer's office
(04-25-2018, 09:44 PM)GMDino Wrote: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/04/25/michael-cohen-says-he-plead-fifth-amendment-stormy-daniels-case/552183002/

I really don’t have an issue with a guy who has had his home and office raided pleading the fifth. I mean I don’t have an issue with anyone doing it, but I certainly can’t blame Cohen even if he is innocent.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(04-25-2018, 09:58 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I really don’t have an issue with a guy who has had his home and office raided pleading the fifth. I mean I don’t have an issue with anyone doing it, but I certainly can’t blame Cohen even if he is innocent.

Perfectly legal for him to do it of course.

Also it will highlight more hypocrisy from Trump.  Mellow

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/384937-trump-comments-on-fifth-amendment-resurfaced-after-cohen-filing

Quote:“The mob takes the Fifth,” Trump said at one campaign rally in September 2017. “If you're innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”

He was largely targeting former staffers for Hillary Clinton who pleaded the Fifth during the investigation into her use of a private email server while she was secretary of State.

Trump also called staffers pleading the Fifth “disgraceful” and “a bigger deal than Watergate” at different points during the campaign.

The president, however, pleaded the Fifth during his divorce from his first wife Ivana Trump in 1990 to avoid answering questions about adultery.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(05-02-2018, 11:20 PM)GMDino Wrote:

That was so funny last night. Lawyer Twitter was making so many jokes about Rudy because of all this.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(05-03-2018, 08:57 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: That was so funny last night. Lawyer Twitter was making so many jokes about Rudy because of all this.

And now Trump says, sure, he knew all about it even when he said he didn't.   Mellow

I guess his fans will love him more because he lied again.    Cool
(05-03-2018, 09:02 AM)GMDino Wrote: And now Trump says, sure, he knew all about it even when he said he didn't.   Mellow

I guess his fans will love him more because he lied again.    Cool

Well, the fun part about this is that Rudy was likely wrong, anyway:

So because this hush money was done to help the campaign, they are campaign funds and subject to FEC regulations. Doesn't matter if Trump repaid them from his personal account.

Here is the FEC page on this: https://www.fec.gov/help-candidates-and-committees/handling-loans-debts-and-advances/personal-loans-candidate/

Cohen making the payment initially is a personal loan to the campaign.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(05-03-2018, 09:33 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Well, the fun part about this is that Rudy was likely wrong, anyway:

So because this hush money was done to help the campaign, they are campaign funds and subject to FEC regulations. Doesn't matter if Trump repaid them from his personal account.

Here is the FEC page on this: https://www.fec.gov/help-candidates-and-committees/handling-loans-debts-and-advances/personal-loans-candidate/

Cohen making the payment initially is a personal loan to the campaign.

Do you think this falls under them just being dumb, or Trump's hubris that he can do whatever he wants whenever he wants?

I think it falls under his "management style" of not really knowing anything and just telling people what to do.
This morning, Rudy flat out tied the NDA to the campaign by saying "imagine if that had come out" during the campaign.

He is seriously making the case against Michael Cohen and the Trump campaign for FEC violations. He has literally handed them evidence that will be used to in court. I guarantee you there is an SDNY prosecutor typing this up as we speak.

(05-03-2018, 09:58 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: This morning, Rudy flat out tied the NDA to the campaign by saying "imagine if that had come out" during the campaign.

He is seriously making the case against Michael Cohen and the Trump campaign for FEC violations. He has literally handed them evidence that will be used to in court. I guarantee you there is an SDNY prosecutor typing this up as we speak.

Just saw that on Twitter.  Trump only hires the best, smartest people.   Mellow
(05-03-2018, 09:57 AM)GMDino Wrote: Do you think this falls under them just being dumb, or Trump's hubris that he can do whatever he wants whenever he wants?

I think it falls under his "management style" of not really knowing anything and just telling people what to do.

I'm actually with you on the management style. From all accounts, the campaign organization was a chaotic one. There were people involved that knew the rules and knew how to manage a campaign, but they weren't involved in all of the things they needed to be. This comes from Trump being what many have described him as, a micromanager. Had he allowed the people that knew what they were doing do their jobs, then this wouldn't be happening right now. I don't think he has enough trust in others to do that, though. It's fine for him in his private businesses where he, I assume, knows what he is doing. But campaigning and governing aren't things he knows about and his inability to trust has led him down this path.

So it has now come out that they had Cohen's phones tapped and had at least one exchange between him and Trump. No one knows how far back the taps go but they were at least a few weeks out before the raid. Apparently Trump's lawyers found out he called Cohen the day after the Raid and told him never to call him again because he is probably, and probably has been, tapped.
Oh this is getting good

How soon till cohen flips
People suck
(05-03-2018, 02:55 PM)Griever Wrote: Oh this is getting good

How soon till cohen flips

The funniest part to me about this is that this isn't even the Mueller investigation, this is all done through the SDNY.

So Trump lied about the whole thing? Whatever, remember when Obama said I could keep my insurance?
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(05-03-2018, 05:49 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: So Trump lied about the whole thing? Whatever, remember when Obama said I could keep my insurance?

What happened, how did you lose your insurance?
(05-03-2018, 05:49 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: So Trump lied about the whole thing? Whatever, remember when Obama said I could keep my insurance?

If I recall, Obama said you could keep your doctors, as it turned out supposedly wasn't true.  I don't think he said anything about "keeping insurance".
I could be wrong but I'm usually right. ThumbsUp
(05-04-2018, 06:22 AM)ballsofsteel Wrote: If I recall, Obama said you could keep your doctors, as it turned out supposedly wasn't true.  I don't think he said anything about "keeping insurance".
I could be wrong but I'm usually right. ThumbsUp

I'm sure I can find another Obama lie to make up for the fact that, for the last three months, the White House has been lying to the American people. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Sounds like in the Manafort case, Mueller has run into a snag with a judge

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/05/04/mueller-challenged-manafort-case-568935
(05-04-2018, 09:03 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Sounds like in the Manafort case, Mueller has run into a snag with a judge

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/05/04/mueller-challenged-manafort-case-568935

As by the book as Mueller is, I doubt this will be an issue. They will have the documentation to back up that this is within their scope and the defense's motion will be denied.

(05-05-2018, 07:31 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: As by the book as Mueller is, I doubt this will be an issue. They will have the documentation to back up that this is within their scope and the defense's motion will be denied.

The documentation to raid Manafort is back dated.  It will be tossed out and sent to another court.  You cant raid somebody and then say, see, my boss approved this 5 days later. Of course the judge wants to see the original scope memo to see if Mueller was within his responsibility to make the raid.  If the prosecution doesn't present this...they wont...it will be tossed.   I still think Manafort will be tried though, just elsewhere.