Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FEC vice chairman resigns, leaving agency unable to vote
 Well, what could go wrong with that? Facepalm

https://thehill.com/policy/cybersecurity/458850-fec-vice-chairman-resigns-leaving-agency-unable-to-vote

Quote:The vice chairman of the Federal Election Commission (FEC) submitted his resignation letter to President Trump on Monday, leaving the agency without the necessary number of commissioners to vote on proposed actions.

Matthew Petersen, a Republican who has served as a commissioner since 2008, wrote that he will formally step down on Aug. 31.

“Throughout my service, I have faithfully discharged my duty to enforce the law in a manner that respects free speech rights, while also fairly interpreting the relevant statutes and regulations and providing meaningful notice to those subject to FEC jurisdiction,” Petersen wrote. “I am honored to have served the American people in this capacity and to have fulfilled the oath taken 11 years ago.”

A spokesperson for the FEC confirmed Petersen’s resignation, declining to comment further.

His departure leaves the agency with only three of the four members required to vote on proposed actions.

“By law, no more than three Commissioners can represent the same political party, and at least four votes are required for any official Commission action,” the FEC wrote on its website. “This structure was created to encourage nonpartisan decisions.”

The remaining commissioners are Chairwoman Ellen Weintraub, a Democrat; Commissioner Caroline Hunter, a Republican; and Commissioner Steven Walther, an independent. President Trump nominated Republican attorney Trey Trainor to serve as an FEC commissioner in 2017, but the Senate has not voted on his nomination.

Petersen was heavily involved in technology issues, which he highlighted in his resignation letter.

“To ensure promising new technologies designed to encourage voter outreach, small-dollar fundraising, and political association continue to flourish, I have consistently opposed unnecessarily rigid regulatory rulings,” Petersen wrote. “I've also been a staunch advocate for protecting the Internet as a vibrant medium for disseminating political speech and increasing participation in the democratic process.”

In July, Petersen joined the other FEC commissioners in voting unanimously to allow federal political campaigns to accept discounted cybersecurity services from Area 1 Security. He also voted last year in favor of allowing federal campaigns and national parties to accept a package of “enhanced online account security features” from Microsoft.

Petersen’s resignation compounds problems at the FEC.

Weintraub told The Hill earlier this year that commissioners have been at loggerheads over the agency’s purpose.

“It’s not a problem of gridlock, it’s not a problem of disagreement, it’s a problem of half the commissioners don’t agree with the mission of the agency,” Weintraub said.

Weintraub last week pushed back against President Trump’s claims that he would have won New Hampshire during the 2016 election if it wasn’t for voter fraud. In a letter to Trump, she asked for evidence of this voter fraud, telling him that his allegations risk “undermining faith” in U.S. elections.

And to highlight how one man is running what happens with our government:

Quote:President Trump nominated Republican attorney Trey Trainor to serve as an FEC commissioner in 2017, but the Senate has not voted on his nomination.

So, as an aside to the main story, can you imagine how much this country could have accomplished without McConnell in charge of the Senate?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(08-27-2019, 09:57 AM)GMDino Wrote:  Well, what could go wrong with that? Facepalm

https://thehill.com/policy/cybersecurity/458850-fec-vice-chairman-resigns-leaving-agency-unable-to-vote

And to highlight how one man is running what happens with our government:

So, as an aside to the main story, can you imagine how much this country could have accomplished without McConnell in charge of the Senate?

Quote:President Trump nominated Republican attorney Trey Trainor to serve as an FEC commissioner in 2017, but the Senate has not voted on his nomination.

How nice must it be to have a job where you make $174k+, have benefits and allowances, plus a pension after just 5 years... and not have to actually do your job for at least two years. I don't know anything about the candidate, but if he's worthwhile, vote him in. If he's a turd, vote him down. How can you do nothing for that long?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(08-27-2019, 11:34 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: How nice must it be to have a job where you make $174k+, have benefits and allowances, plus a pension after just 5 years... and not have to actually do your job for at least two years. I don't know anything about the candidate, but if he's worthwhile, vote him in. If he's a turd, vote him down. How can you do nothing for that long?

[Image: L0hjq9u.png]
The Moscow Mitch thing is played out, stupid and quite honestly disingenuous to the point of absurdity.  Like him or hate him, the guy is a shrew political operator.  This isn't necessarily good for the nation but the same people decrying McConnell likely celebrated Harry Reid, who was very much cut from the same cloth.  I'm sure one of our resident pedants will come along and meticulously explain how they are nothing alike, but I'll stick with my rather simplified comparison.
(08-27-2019, 12:30 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: The Moscow Mitch thing is played out, stupid and quite honestly disingenuous to the point of absurdity.  Like him or hate him, the guy is a shrew political operator.  This isn't necessarily good for the nation but the same people decrying McConnell likely celebrated Harry Reid, who was very much cut from the same cloth.  I'm sure one of our resident pedants will come along and meticulously explain how they are nothing alike, but I'll stick with my rather simplified comparison.

"necessarily" is doing a lot of work there.

But the whataboutism is strong.

C+
(08-27-2019, 12:37 PM)GMDino Wrote: "necessarily" is doing a lot of work there.

But the whataboutism is strong.

C+

You really don't know how to use that term.  I am comparing two politicians who operate(d) in a similar manner.  One is accused by you of being in cahoots with Russia and the other is not.  One is a Democrat and one is a Republican.  I understand you have no cogent logical rebuttal, hence your propensity to respond with gifs and (bad) memes.  If you care to take an actual stab at addressing the points raised I'll be around. 

ThumbsUp
(08-27-2019, 12:52 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You really don't know how to use that term.  I am comparing two politicians who operate(d) in a similar manner.  One is accused by you of being in cahoots with Russia and the other is not.  One is a Democrat and one is a Republican.  I understand you have no cogent logical rebuttal, hence your propensity to respond with gifs and (bad) memes.  If you care to take an actual stab at addressing the points raised I'll be around. 

ThumbsUp

To the first bold sentence: That's a pretty big difference when the current man is accused (not just by me, btw) of Russian influence. 

To the second there is no gif or meme in my response to you.   That I used one that invoked the Russians triggered an automatic "Democrats did it too" response says a lot.

To the jist of your response: The McConnell angle is just an aside to the main story that the FEC is now essentially unable to do anything with a presidential election right around the proverbial corner.  That McConnell has held up even a vote since 2017 is just adding to the issue.  Clearly you don't care if what he is dong is "bad for the country" (necessarily).

Your opinion has been noted.  Thanks.
(08-27-2019, 01:02 PM)GMDino Wrote: To the first bold sentence: That's a pretty big difference when the current man is accused (not just by me, btw) of Russian influence.

If you live in a world were accusations bear the same weight as facts.  I don't live in that world. 

Quote:To the second there is no gif or meme in my response to you.   That I used one that invoked the Russians triggered an automatic "Democrats did it too" response says a lot.

Except that's not what I said.  There is no Russian, "Dems did it too" here.  I stated the fact that McConnell and Reid both controversially played the political game in very similar fashion. 

Quote:To the jist of your response: The McConnell angle is just an aside to the main story that the FEC is now essentially unable to do anything with a presidential election right around the proverbial corner.  That McConnell has held up even a vote since 2017 is just adding to the issue.  Clearly you don't care if what he is dong is "bad for the country" (necessarily).

Didn't say I didn't care.  Maybe if you confine you own thread to the facts you want to discuss instead of muddying the waters with unfounded accusation memes you'll get what you profess to desire.

Quote:Your opinion has been noted.  Thanks.

You're most welcome.