Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FG Kick
(02-06-2018, 11:32 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: That was the main one; that was a brilliant play call and it worked out perfectly, though I think it was more of a Hue thing.

For all the grief Hue gets, he did a tremendous job that season being creative when so many offensive weapons were injured.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Can you imagine how elated you'd feel if in April you'd known with certainty that Jake Elliot would be kicking for the eventual Super Bowl champs. And then your deflation as he signs with.the Eagles (who the Bengals destroyed just over a year ago). When's it our turn?
Reply/Quote
Elliott missed 10 kicks this year
Bullock missed 4 kicks
Bullock had a better percentage on both FG's (90.0%) and XP's (93.9%) than Elliott (86.8% and 90.2% respectively)

Bullock has proven to be a great find and he still young (just turned 28). So he could be our kicker for many years. So, make like Elsa and...

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=3597315]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 01:31 AM)Beaker Wrote: You got the part where he also missed the PAT after the Eagles 1st TD right? That's the reason the Eagles had to go for 2 and were only up by 5 and Brady had the ball with just over 2 mins left. The fumble saved the Eagles.

You got the part where Gostkowski also missed an XP and missed a FG too, right?
And that Jake Elliott now holds the record for the two longest field goals in Super Bowl history by a rookie, you got that part too, right?
Elliott made a 46 yard field goal to make it an 8 point game with 1:05 left in the game, he misses that, he gives the Patriots great field position.

Don't act like Elliott didn't make kicks.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 07:41 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: You got the part where Gostkowski also missed an XP and missed a FG too, right?
And that Jake Elliott now holds the record for the two longest field goals in Super Bowl history by a rookie, you got that part too, right?
Elliott made a 46 yard field goal to make it an 8 point game with 1:05 left in the game, he misses that, he gives the Patriots great field position.

I don't think he missed that; he was merely replying to one of the many threads that sing the praises of Jake Elliott. Pointing out that the kicker you re praising missed an XP and has shown a propensity to do so, is quite relevant. 

He makes the XP, which causes the Eagles to go for 2 on the next score changes the dynamic of the game. 

What you and the OP are doing is praising a pitcher that pitches himself into a save opportunity and then says "Did you see that save." 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 07:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I don't think he missed that; he was merely replying to one of the many threads that sing the praises of Jake Elliott. Pointing out that the kicker you re praising missed an XP and has shown a propensity to do so, is quite relevant. 

He makes the XP, which causes the Eagles to go for 2 on the next score changes the dynamic of the game. 

What you and the OP are doing is praising a pitcher that pitches himself into a save opportunity and then says "Did you see that save." 

Yes, Elliott's kick changes the dynamic of the game. As does Gostkowski's 2 misses.
So does Elliott's two made field goals.
It's how the game works. Every kick mattered.

I'm praising a kicker who, under 2 minutes left, had to kick a 46 yard field goal against one of the best dynasties in sports history, or else give them great field position.

You're allowed to praise a kicker for doing their job in a clutch situation.

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 07:41 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: You got the part where Gostkowski also missed an XP and missed a FG too, right?

How many rookie kickers have kicked in a SB? He kicked a 46 yarder and a 42 yarder. Not exactly super impressive. I'm not sure why so many are so obsessed with long kicks. The guy obviously struggles a bit with short ones for some reason.

I'd rather have a guy who you can bank on for the easy ones than a guy who can bang 'em from deep, but soils his drawers when he gets close. Not that Bullock doesn't have range...he does. He just also hits the easy ones. Nothing more deflating than getting close and getting 0 points. Or missing the XP in a close game.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Still 3 guys involved with every FG & XP.. Anyone of the 3 screws up and 99% of fans will blame the kicker every time..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 02:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Elliott missed 10 kicks this year
Bullock missed 4 kicks
Bullock had a better percentage on both FG's (90.0%) and XP's (93.9%) than Elliott (86.8% and 90.2% respectively)

Bullock has proven to be a great find and he still young (just turned 28). So he could be our kicker for many years. So, make like Elsa and...

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=3597315]

As long as it's not Shayne Graham I'm cool with it...

Who are you asking to let it go? Pretty sure the op was the one bringing up a dead horse.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2018, 01:39 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: How many rookie kickers have kicked in a SB? He kicked a 46 yarder and a 42 yarder. Not exactly super impressive. I'm not sure why so many are so obsessed with long kicks. The guy obviously struggles a bit with short ones for some reason.

I'd rather have a guy who you can bank on for the easy ones than a guy who can bang 'em from deep, but soils his drawers when he gets close. Not that Bullock doesn't have range...he does. He just also hits the easy ones. Nothing more deflating than getting close and getting 0 points. Or missing the XP in a close game.

Wait, did you say you can bank on Bullock to make easy ones?

Bullock struggled quite a bit in 2013 (below 75%) with the Texans. And 2015 (below 83%) as well.
Bullock doesn't really have that much range. He's 69% with kicks from 40+

I understand that Bullock has done alright with the Bengals, besides missing a game winner against the Texans, but Bullock isn't reliable.
Bullock has only ever hit 1 game winning or game tying field goal in his 5 year career.

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2018, 04:12 AM)TheUberHuber Wrote: As long as it's not Shayne Graham I'm cool with it...

Who are you asking to let it go?  Pretty sure the op was the one bringing up a dead horse.

Seemed like OP was praising Elliott to me. Hence the "let it go". Elliott fans just won't stop.

(02-07-2018, 04:53 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Wait, did you say you can bank on Bullock to make easy ones?

Bullock struggled quite a bit in 2013 (below 75%) with the Texans. And 2015 (below 83%) as well.
Bullock doesn't really have that much range. He's 69% with kicks from 40+

I understand that Bullock has done alright with the Bengals, besides missing a game winner against the Texans, but Bullock isn't reliable.
Bullock has only ever hit 1 game winning or game tying field goal in his 5 year career.

Bullock was perfect inside 40 yards (13 of 13) in 2013. Those are the "easy ones". Not sure why you're looking at overall percentage when I was talking about easy kicks. Bullock had a low percentage that year because he went 1 of 5 from 50+ yards, and 12 of 17 from 40-49 yards. His accuracy sucked on longer kicks as a rookie. He's always had the leg though.

Bullock was also perfect inside 40 yards in 2015 (11 of 11). 

Bullock has always made the easy kicks, and since his rough rookie season (2013), Bullock has been much better from range, hitting 76.5% of his kicks from 40+ (including 5 of 8 from 50+). That rookie season really skewed that %. It was an outlier.
Reply/Quote
I don't really care what Bullock did with other teams, I am only concerned with what he has done for the Bengals, and he has been reliable.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 07:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I don't think he missed that; he was merely replying to one of the many threads that sing the praises of Jake Elliott. Pointing out that the kicker you re praising missed an XP and has shown a propensity to do so, is quite relevant. 

This.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 02:45 AM)Go Cards Wrote: If they had not done that they would have had a 9 point lead and Brady would have had no chance at all at end. 

Only up by nine if Elliot makes the extra point kick.  He missed 3 during the regular season and had only made 5 of 7 in the postseason.

Pederson probably decided to go for two because he did not have faith in Elliot making the XP kick.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2018, 01:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Only up by nine if Elliot makes the extra point kick.  He missed 3 during the regular season and had only made 5 of 7 in the postseason.

Pederson probably decided to go for two because he did not have faith in Elliot making the XP kick.

My thoughts as well, plus Pederson called aggressively all season, why stop in the SB?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Jake Elliott had a great year for a rookie kicker. He struggled in the 30s but was money at 40+ including 5/6 at 50+ with a 61 yarder (Not in Denver). As for the misses at short range I'm guessing it's technique since he's accurate from 40+.

That said Bullock definitely was not the Bengals issue.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 11:26 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: often the difference between a bad call and a brilliant one is success.

As far as the bengals reaching that creativity?   Dalton has caught a TD.... Whitworth has caught a TD...  Fisher almost...    so we definitely have those types of plays in the playbook.

You just gotta remember them

I think you are missing the point.  What creativity and aggressiveness does Marv show in a big game?  A playoff game?  This was the Super Bowl, and he stayed consistent with what got him there.  
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2018, 09:43 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think you are missing the point.  What creativity and aggressiveness does Marv show in a big game?

We just knocked the Ravens out of the playoffs because Marvin decided to go for it on fourth down.

Ninja
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2018, 11:55 AM)fredtoast Wrote: We just knocked the Ravens out of the playoffs because Marvin decided to go for it on fourth down.

Ninja

That game was so big it knocked the Bengals down a few draft spots...

You have got to be kidding me with this one.  A meaningless game that actually hurts the team when the Bengals win, and you pull out going for it on fourth down at the end of the game?  This has to be a joke. 
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2018, 03:06 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: That game was so big it knocked the Bengals down a few draft spots...

You have got to be kidding me with this one.  A meaningless game that actually hurts the team when the Bengals win, and you pull out going for it on fourth down at the end of the game?  This has to be a joke. 

Thus the ninja.
Reply/Quote