Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FG as time ran out
Watching the game again, very impressed on how quickly we got our offense off the field and FG crew in position, snapping just before the half ended, and without penalty. Obviously well rehearsed.

But is it just me or do we need to be better at managing our TO's? Anyway, a W is a W, I'm psyched for Pittsburgh!
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 05:11 PM)Tankvet Wrote: Watching the game again, very impressed on how quickly we got our offense off the field and FG crew in position, snapping just before the half ended, and without penalty.  Obviously well rehearsed.

But is it just me or do we need to be better at managing our TO's?  Anyway, a W is a W, I'm psyched for Pittsburgh!

There was a thread in the preseason about the team's seemingly poor use of time outs early in the half during games.  When we blew through two of them early on, I was reminded of that thread.  But I recall the plays we did run following the timeouts as working out at least reasonably well, certainly better than a formation-related penalty, or worse (a turnover or big loss), so I would rather use timeouts when you know you need them, vs taking one or two into the locker room with you unused.  But certainly it would have been nice to have had one of those at the end of the first half to take our time a bit, though I was also impressed with the efficiency to get teams out there and make the FG before halftime. 
Reply/Quote
We were able to pull off a similar drill last year against, I think, Seattle. Simmons is very good at what he does. Do not be surprised if it is Simmons, not Guenther, who is the next head coaching candidate.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 05:11 PM)Tankvet Wrote: Watching the game again, very impressed on how quickly we got our offense off the field and FG crew in position, snapping just before the half ended, and without penalty.  Obviously well rehearsed.

But is it just me or do we need to be better at managing our TO's?  Anyway, a W is a W, I'm psyched for Pittsburgh!

That is one impressive play that isn't getting a lot of attention. I thought when the ball was caught in bounds it was over. I think we had a play like that last year too so they definitely do a good job coaching and practicing that scenario. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Getting another play off before the 2 minute warning in the 4th quarter was also pretty impressive use of the clock.

As for using our time outs I really think we are no worse than other teams. I see plenty of other teams use time outs before the final minutes of the half.
Reply/Quote
I think it is hilarious the officials threw a flag and then tried to say illegal formation on the defense! That is not even a real penalty.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 06:11 PM)treee Wrote: I think it is hilarious the officials threw a flag and then tried to say illegal formation on the defense! That is not even a real penalty.

On a FG attempt it is...
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 06:13 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: On a FG attempt it is...

What formation is illegal on a field goal attempt for the defense?

Edit: never mind, I found it. "ILLEGAL FORMATION: The defense cannot have more than six players on the line of scrimmage on either side of the snapper during kicking plays. This rule is designed to protect players who are in a vulnerable position. Violations of this rule will result in a five-yard penalty."
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 06:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Getting another play off before the 2 minute warning in the 4th quarter was also pretty impressive use of the clock.

As for using our time outs I really think we are no worse than other teams.  I see plenty of other teams use time outs before the final minutes of the half.

The jets sure would've liked to have had a couple of theirs back.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 06:28 PM)treee Wrote: What formation is illegal on a field goal attempt for the defense?

Edit: never mind, I found it. "ILLEGAL FORMATION: The defense cannot have more than six players on the line of scrimmage on either side of the snapper during kicking plays. This rule is designed to protect players who are in a vulnerable position. Violations of this rule will result in a five-yard penalty."

They had someone lined up over the Center.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
All this after a play where Tyler Boyd made the catch. Rookies aren't usually that wise to set the ball and get off the field. Didn't cross my mind until Marvin mentioned it in his presser today. Great job TB!
Reply/Quote