Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FL GOP rep gets in AOC's face on the hill, calls her "disgusting" and a "f** b**"
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/508259-ocaasio-cortez-accosted-by-gop-lawmaker-over-remarks-that-kind-of

Quote:Tensions flared on Capitol Hill this week when a Republican lawmaker challenged Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) on issues of crime and policing in an unusual — and decidedly personal — confrontation on the Capitol steps.

Rep. Ted Yoho (R-Fla.) was coming down the steps on the east side of the Capitol on Monday, having just voted, when he approached Ocasio-Cortez, who was ascending into the building to cast a vote of her own.

In a brief but heated exchange, which was overheard by a reporter, Yoho told Ocasio-Cortez she was "disgusting" for recently suggesting that poverty and unemployment are driving a spike in crime in New York City during the coronavirus pandemic.

"You are out of your freaking mind," Yoho told her.

Ocasio-Cortez shot back, telling Yoho he was being "rude."

The two then parted ways. Ocasio-Cortez headed into the building, while Yoho, joined by Rep. Roger Williams (R-Texas), began descending toward the House office buildings. A few steps down, Yoho offered a parting thought to no one in particular.

"***** *****," he said.

For suggesting that unemployment and poverty led to increase crime... hopefully he will be censured
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2020, 11:14 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: https://thehill.com/homenews/house/508259-ocaasio-cortez-accosted-by-gop-lawmaker-over-remarks-that-kind-of

For suggesting that unemployment and poverty led to increase crime... hopefully he will be censured

But, but, but "muh right to free SPEECH!"

They never seem to act that way toward men.  Weird.

I'll be awaiting the tepid "I'm should not have used the words I used" apology...lol.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2020, 11:25 AM)GMDino Wrote: But, but, but "muh right to free SPEECH!"

They never seem to act that way toward men.  Weird.

I'll be awaiting the tepid "I'm should not have used the words I used" apology...lol.

He needs to be censured and McCarthy should remove him from committees for this.

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2020, 11:46 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: He needs to be censured and McCarthy should remove him from committees for this.

We'll see.  McCarthy may say "he didn't hear it" and he is "focused on other things" not "petty arguments" and name calling.  Smirk
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2020, 11:14 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: https://thehill.com/homenews/house/508259-ocaasio-cortez-accosted-by-gop-lawmaker-over-remarks-that-kind-of

I wonder if he was referring to her comments that these people were just trying to steal bread to feed their families. I hear Gucci and Nike make outstanding bakery goods.

As to the exchange: he should have used more tact.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2020, 12:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I wonder if he was referring to her comments that these people were just trying to steal bread to feed their families. I hear Gucci and Nike make outstanding bakery goods.

As to the exchange: he should have used more tact.

Stealing bread is a lot of risk for little reward since you can get shot and killed by the bakery owner for it.  You steal the Gucci and the Nike and then you sell that and then you legally buy lots of bread.  Duh.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2020, 12:20 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Stealing bread is a lot of risk for little reward since you can get shot and killed by the bakery owner for it.  You steal the Gucci and the Nike and then you sell that and then you legally buy lots of bread.  Duh.

I'm sure the "man" who was screaming on the steps is really into the nuanced parts of poverty...which is why he didn't use enough "tact". Smirk
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2020, 12:20 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Stealing bread is a lot of risk for little reward since you can get shot and killed by the bakery owner for it.  You steal the Gucci and the Nike and then you sell that and then you legally buy lots of bread.  Duh.

Oh, no doubt the looters are efficient. I was simply pointing out the quote the lawmaker may have considered disgusting.

Reply/Quote

Now Pat, we can't expect someone in the GOP, let alone someone from Florida, to understand the actual research that says that unemployment and poverty cause crime more than anything else.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2020, 12:28 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Oh, no doubt the looters are efficient. I was simply pointing out the quote the lawmaker may have considered disgusting.

I hear ya, but I think the concept of stealing bread is a catch-all general term for mentioning how the system favors one side over the other.  It's a literal way of saying it, but if that guy is disgusted that someone dare point out that life isn't fair then he needs to toughen up.

Plus, it seems like all politicians do these days is make excuses and whine about how unfair things are for their side.  There is just so much "my side does the wrong things for the right reasons, and your side does the wrong things because it is evil" going around, but that's just general human bias.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2020, 12:36 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I hear ya, but I think the concept of stealing bread is a catch-all general term for mentioning how the system favors one side over the other.  It's a literal way of saying it, but if that guy is disgusted that someone dare point out that life isn't fair then he needs to toughen up.

Plus, it seems like all politicians do these days is make excuses and whine about how unfair things are for their side.  There is just so much "my side does the wrong things for the right reasons, and your side does the wrong things because it is evil" going around, but that's just general human bias.

And I think it's a term used to excuse lawlessness. How many folks here think acts such as these are because of poverty and unemployment?

I gotta side with the lawmaker from FLA to excuse these and other such actions as "trying to feed the family" is disgusting. But as i said he should have used more tact. At least from the reports of the article.

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2020, 12:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: And I think it's a term used to excuse lawlessness. How many folks here think acts such as these are because of poverty and unemployment?

I gotta side with the lawmaker from FLA to excuse these and other such actions as "trying to feed the family" is disgusting. But as i said he should have used more tact. At least from the reports of the article.

I'm just saying I'd bet my left nut that guy has defended or enabled someone who has skirted the laws because that person had to feed his family/protect jobs/defend the so on and so forth.  The bottom line is that we break the rules because of circumstances and other people break the rules because they're rotten people.

Politicians are professional enablers and excuse-makers.
Reply/Quote
I sure we can all draw inspiration from the joy on this young woman's face when she realizes she'll be able to put bread on the family's plate tonight
[Image: DqhSOauRjO4Ny8JFDkjX3wYv_640x360.jpg]

Or we can call trying to excuse such actions as disgusting.

I guess it depends on if you follow the R or the D.

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2020, 12:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I sure we can all draw inspiration from the joy on this young woman's face when she realizes she'll be able to put bread on the family's plate tonight
[Image: DqhSOauRjO4Ny8JFDkjX3wYv_640x360.jpg]

Or we can call trying to excuse such actions as disgusting.

I guess it depends on if you follow the R or the D.

D's get her and R's get Roger Stone, everyone wins.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2020, 01:02 PM)Nately120 Wrote: D's get her and R's get Roger Stone, everyone wins.

What is important though is focus on the young woman...who just happens to be black...rather than any of the other looters that day.

After all YOU Chose a white guy from the right that broke the law and got away with it!

Mellow
Reply/Quote

Doug Collins trolling

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2020, 12:29 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Now Pat, we can't expect someone in the GOP, let alone someone from Florida, to understand the actual research that says that unemployment and poverty cause crime more than anything else.

Some are already rallying behind him and excusing it. I’m not surprised. Calling female lawmakers “***** bitches” in the Capitol is the natural progression of the Trump Party.

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2020, 01:39 PM)GMDino Wrote: What is important though is focus on the young woman...who just happens to be black...rather than any of the other looters that day.

After all YOU Chose a white guy from the right that broke the law and got away with it!

Mellow

What I see in that picture is a woman who is happy and perceives that what she is doing is 100% justified.  That's the interesting thing.  Sadly, politicians get beaucoups support by telling people what they want to hear and most people want to hear that they are victims and their dissatisfaction and failings aren't their fault but the fault of someone else.

What I'm doing is wrong on paper, but the way the other side forces me to fail it's only fair that I break the rules myself.  Everyone is a victim and everyone sees their own transgressions as being justified, being "not that bad" or being a strike against a corrupt system that sets these supposed rules.  So it goes. I guess her stealing whatever she's got there is her version of grabbing a woman by the ***** or cutting insurance for employees, or some other form of "yes this is wrong, but come on...life ain't fair so I can sleep at night after doing this" moment.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2020, 01:39 PM)GMDino Wrote: What is important though is focus on the young woman...who just happens to be black...rather than any of the other looters that day.

Mellow

Nah, I didn't find that to be important at all. Hell if you didn't chime in, race may have not been mentioned at all.

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2020, 11:46 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: He needs to be censured and McCarthy should remove him from committees for this.

They didn't censure Omar for trafficking in anti-Semitic tropes or take her off any committees.  This altercation, while certainly unprofessional, doesn't, to me at least, rise to anything close to that.
Reply/Quote