Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Facebook question
Many of my friends and relatives have teenage daughters. When they post pictures of them on Facebook I don't feel comfortable commenting on how attractive they are. If I am talking to someone in person I don't have a problem telling them they have a lovely daughter, but for some reason it feels much different posting it on Facebook.

Am I crazy or does anyone else feel this way?
Reply/Quote
Not crazy at all. In a world that has seemingly lost it's innocence, the nicest comments or gestures can be taken wrongly. Similarly, I don't post on FB much for that very reason, irregardless of the matter or content. Also, FB is a place jam packed with keyboard warriors who are always lurking to make an attack on anything someone else says.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2020, 01:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Many of my friends and relatives have teenage daughters. When they post pictures of them on Facebook I don't feel comfortable commenting on how attractive they are. If I am talking to someone in person I don't have a problem telling them they have a lovely daughter, but for some reason it feels much different posting it on Facebook.

Am I crazy or does anyone else feel this way?

I think you’re phrasing is the problem... “How attractive they are” sounds a little predatory.

In a world where everything gets misconstrued I’d recommend just leaving your friends kids looks out of your conversations. It’s gonna get taken the wrong way by some.
Reply/Quote
Ever heard of Jeffrey Epstein?
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(07-25-2020, 05:04 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: In a world where everything gets misconstrued I’d recommend just leaving your friends kids looks out of your conversations. It’s gonna get taken the wrong way by some.

That is exactly what I do.

I tried about ten different ways of phrasing it the other day, but nothing seemed quite rigth.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2020, 10:04 AM)fredtoast Wrote: That is exactly what I do.

I tried about ten different ways of phrasing it the other day, but nothing seemed quite rigth.

Yep, I understand where you’re coming from, but unfortunately there is no good way in today’s society. Everything is too sexualized that people are going to think you’re up to no good.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2020, 10:04 AM)fredtoast Wrote: That is exactly what I do.

Acceptable: Say nothing. Joe

Not acceptable: Dayum, that's one smokin little hot pocket you got there. When does she turn 18? :paul:

Reply/Quote
I imagine its just the nuance of language that is lost when saying something via text rather than via speech.

Writing "you have a lovely daughter" is open to all sorts of interpretation, and one of those interpretations is unfortunately "internet creeper".

The way you intend to say "you have a lovely daughter" would probably just come off as a natural compliment.
Reply/Quote
Perhaps say "you have a lovely family" instead of comments about an individual child...
Reply/Quote
Yeah that’s a no win proposition. I’ve seen it before and it always looks creepy.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
lots of good input here gentlemen. in summary, the prevailing wisdom yet again, shut up fred.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2020, 02:50 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Perhaps say "you have a lovely family" instead of comments about an individual child...

Not bad, but what if the wife and brother look like they rolled down cheese grater mountain? Wouldn't that be a lie?

Reply/Quote
I'd say it's more appropriate than saying, Looks like your daughter fell from the ugly tree and hit every branch.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-30-2020, 02:53 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Not bad, but what if the wife and brother look like they rolled down cheese grater mountain? Wouldn't that be a lie?

Not necessarily.  Some people are into that sort of thing...
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2020, 11:44 AM)CKwi88 Wrote: I imagine its just the nuance of language that is lost when saying something via text rather than via speech.

Or maybe the nipple clamps in my profile photo?
Reply/Quote