20.00%
7 20.00%
Total 35 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Faith
I'm a Christian.

Specifically, I think there was an intelligence that guided our existence. A push in this direction, a nudge in that. And at times it's come to us and tried to nudge harder and we've been woefully ignorant due to misinterpretation. The last of those attempts was Jesus Christ. And, like most of it, the majority of the message (love, kindness, forgiveness, peace) was lost on the majority of the people who preferred the older misinterpretations.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I believe in God and his son Jesus Christ.

I stand with them and there isn't a shred of doubt in my mind on this matter.
(08-27-2015, 09:31 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: There are no such things as gods.  It's like Bigfoot, ghosts, or the Loch Ness Monster, but we don't have any blurry photographs of him.  

I really don't even see how such a high percentage of people believe in this.  A claim with zero evidence or corroborating proofs is somehow believed by about 3/4 of the population.  74% of otherwise sane adults believe this, and it's mind-boggling.

Give me one piece of evidence.  Just one.

What's mind boggling to me is when someone asks for proof when there's a great likely-hood they know that's not how it works.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(08-28-2015, 02:00 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I believe in God and his son Jesus Christ.  

I stand with them and there isn't a shred of doubt in my mind on this matter.

I have to say that I honestly envy you and people like you.  I look at my father's urn of ashes on the shelf, and as rewarding as it might be I simply can't convince myself he's up in the clouds playing catch with Roberto Clemente.
(08-28-2015, 02:11 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: What's mind boggling to me is when someone asks for proof when there's a great likely-hood they know that's not how it works.

I'd have an easier time accepting that agreement if people who had unshakable faith in good didn't want proof other things exist.  I'm not saying you have to believe in everything or nothing at all, but what's that old joke about telling a man the earth was created in 7 days by god and he believes you but if you tell him the paint is wet he wants to touch it and find out?
(08-28-2015, 02:36 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I have to say that I honestly envy you and people like you.  I look at my father's urn of ashes on the shelf, and as rewarding as it might be I simply can't convince myself he's up in the clouds playing catch with Roberto Clemente.

Not sure if going to heaven means your having a catch with your sports idols. But I understand what you mean.

I just hope my loved ones are at peace and maybe someday I will see them again.

I also wish the same for you and yours.
(08-28-2015, 02:40 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I'd have an easier time accepting that agreement if people who had unshakable faith in good didn't want proof other things exist.  I'm not saying you have to believe in everything or nothing at all, but what's that old joke about telling a man the earth was created in 7 days by god and he believes you but if you tell him the paint is wet he wants to touch it and find out?

Like proof of what?
(08-28-2015, 02:41 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Not sure if going to heaven means your having a catch with your sports idols.    But I understand what you mean.  

I just hope my loved ones are at peace and maybe someday I will see them again.    

I also wish the same for you and yours.

Meh, peace of mind is what you make of it and we all bend our realities to reward ourselves the most.  You feel better believing there is an afterlife, and I and feel better believing I'm too smart for all that hooey.
(08-28-2015, 02:40 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I'd have an easier time accepting that agreement if people who had unshakable faith in good didn't want proof other things exist.  I'm not saying you have to believe in everything or nothing at all, but what's that old joke about telling a man the earth was created in 7 days by god and he believes you but if you tell him the paint is wet he wants to touch it and find out?

I hear ya, but personally speaking, i have proof that God does exist. Paint has no real way of showing me it's wet unless i touch it. Ninja

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(08-28-2015, 02:43 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Meh, peace of mind is what you make of it and we all bend our realities to reward ourselves the most.  You feel better believing there is an afterlife, and I and feel better believing I'm too smart for all that hooey.

You can call it what you wish to bend to your reality and reward your contrarian beliefs.

What if I'm right? Would that change how you behave or conduct yourself?
(08-28-2015, 02:43 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Like proof of what?

How about anything the typically religious are against?

not enough proof being gay is genetic
not enough proof global warming is real
not enough proof Obama is a citizen and/or isn't the devil
not enough proof gun control is effective
not enough proof interracial marriage won't destroy the american family
not enough proof gay marriage won't destroy the american family
not enough proof Muslims are a non-violent people

and so on and so forth.  I couldn't imagine getting into an argument with someone over gun control and when he/she asks for a modicum of proof that my position is sound saying "That's not how this works" and it being a satisfactory answer.  Again, I'm going overboard here, but that's my take.  
Fun fact...I grew up in a Baptist household.

It's in the cinci area and I don't like to go there, but do when required (both parents are members).

I guess I would consider myself agnostic.
(08-28-2015, 02:48 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: You can call it what you wish to bend to your reality and reward your contrarian beliefs.  

What if I'm right?  Would that change how you behave or conduct yourself?

How am I a contrarian?  I just don't believe in the afterlife.  I suppose that puts me at odds with the majority of people on this earth, but it's not like the afterlife is real and I'm simply stomping my foot like a petulant child and refusing to believe it.  And if you are right then I guess I'm going to suffer whatever consequence you believe is reserved for unbelievers.

Then again, Muslims could be right and Muslim god is going to have to decide if you and I deserve the same punishment!
(08-28-2015, 02:49 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Fun fact...I grew up in a Baptist household.

It's in the cinci area and I don't like to go there, but do when required (both parents are members).

I guess I would consider myself agnostic.

Lol @ fun fact ... Loving it
(08-28-2015, 02:55 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Lol @ fun fact ... Loving it

I thought you might like that. Big Grin
(08-27-2015, 09:31 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: There are no such things as gods.  It's like Bigfoot, ghosts, or the Loch Ness Monster, but we don't have any blurry photographs of him.  

I really don't even see how such a high percentage of people believe in this.  A claim with zero evidence or corroborating proofs is somehow believed by about 3/4 of the population.  74% of otherwise sane adults believe this, and it's mind-boggling.

Give me one piece of evidence.  Just one.

(08-27-2015, 10:50 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: As for your experience,...I don't believe it was genuine.  Not that I'm calling you a liar, but maybe more of a misidentifier.  I won't take your personal anecdotal evidence as proof of the supernatural.  I'll believe that stuff once it's scientifically proven.  I could see it myself, and if it goes against what science explains, I'm gonna wonder if I'm hallucinating rather than seeing evidence of ghosts.

And therein lies the problem. I have proof that there is a God, but it's all anedoctal with some circumstantial thrown in. I could lay out all the experiences in my life that have led me to believe God exists, but you would find fault with it. You could lay out alternative theories for most, if not all, of my experiences. Even though I'm skeptical about a great many things, even though I've always been a "see it to believe it"kind of guy, I still have found the evidence I need to believe in God.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your Mom yells out to him every night I'm there.
[Image: Defensewcm.gif]
At least guys like Bfine will admit that it's "faith" to his beliefs.

People claiming they have "proof"....well, you may not know what the actual definition of "proof" is, guys.

If you want to claim you're religious based on faith, that's fine. I may think you're a bit looney for it, but whatever, at least you're not blatantly lying saying that you can prove to me that your God is real.
(08-27-2015, 10:45 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Even if you believe in a god or gods it is unlikely you believe in all of them.  Everyone chooses to "not believe" in god in some capacity.

That's because we attempt to personify an entity that can't be personified.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(08-27-2015, 08:39 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I believe there is a god, and I follow the teachings of Jesus because they make sense to me as a way to live a good life. But I also follow ol' Odin One Eye, so there is that.

Wasn't Odin eaten by Fenrir during Ragnarok or has that not happened yet?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall