Shucks, I don't know.
20.00%
7 20.00%
Total 35 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Faith
(08-27-2015, 10:17 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Apart from that tidbit, as a critical thinker you certainly have to give a bit of credibility to the benefits of faith, do you not  ?
The neurochemical perks alone can foster a much longer life.
No matter the source of that stimulation, it seems to be good for the subject.
(unless they try to force it upon another, of course Big Grin )

Excellent point. So, if someone believes in the tooth fairy or ET or Nessie do they receive the same neurochemical perks? It would seem they would. I guess it becomes a question of what would you sell your soul for at that point. Homer sold his for a jelly donut with sprinkles. (The Simpson, not the Greek.)
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(08-27-2015, 10:45 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Even if you believe in a god or gods it is unlikely you believe in all of them.  Everyone chooses to "not believe" in god in some capacity.

The force is strong in this one.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(08-27-2015, 10:17 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I've only seen one on your list.
As long as it wasn't a trans-dimensional being, it was a ghost.
So, after that I started thinking about my own immortal soul a little more.
I know, I'm a whacko.....whatever.
Fact is that I've been a paranormal investigator for 7 years and the only time I seen anything was on my honeymoon in broad daylight, in Gettysburg.

Apart from that tidbit, as a critical thinker you certainly have to give a bit of credibility to the benefits of faith, do you not  ?
The neurochemical perks alone can foster a much longer life.
No matter the source of that stimulation, it seems to be good for the subject.
(unless they try to force it upon another, of course Big Grin )

(08-28-2015, 11:00 AM)xxlt Wrote: Excellent point. So, if someone believes in the tooth fairy or ET or Nessie do they receive the same neurochemical perks? It would seem they would. I guess it becomes a question of what would you sell your soul for at that point. Homer sold his for a jelly donut with sprinkles. (The Simpson, not the Greek.)

My upbringing and faith gave me both moments of ease and of anxiety.

Learning to say "I don't know" and allowing life to happen without the constant need to appease or fear or rely on an outside force has actually be MORE of a perk than the religion was.

I feel more at ease forming a true, personal relationship (based on my life experiences) with god than I did trying to fit in and conform to the tenets that everyone said I had to believe to "happy".
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(08-28-2015, 10:40 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Wasn't Odin eaten by Fenrir during Ragnarok or has that not happened yet?

Ragnarok would be like the apocalypse.They got tired of waiting for it and built a bunch of Ikea's.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(08-28-2015, 10:29 AM)djs7685 Wrote: At least guys like Bfine will admit that it's "faith" to his beliefs.

People claiming they have "proof"....well, you may not know what the actual definition of "proof" is, guys.

If you want to claim you're religious based on faith, that's fine. I may think you're a bit looney for it, but whatever, at least you're not blatantly lying saying that you can prove to me that your God is real.

Yeah, but I can't prove to you a guy can saw a lady in half and put her back together either! And I seen it with my owns eyes! Proof I tells ya, proof it can be done!
(08-28-2015, 10:40 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Wasn't Odin eaten by Fenrir during Ragnarok or has that not happened yet?

(08-28-2015, 11:09 AM)Benton Wrote: Ragnarok would be like the apocalypse.They got tired of waiting for it and built a bunch of Ikea's.

What he said.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(08-28-2015, 11:09 AM)Benton Wrote: Ragnarok would be like the apocalypse.They got tired of waiting for it and built a bunch of Ikea's.

So we have the ice giants' procrastination to blame for cheap furniture that isn't even assembled.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(08-28-2015, 01:08 PM)michaelsean Wrote: So we have the ice giants' procrastination to blame for cheap furniture that isn't even assembled.

[Image: 3663d6f4006208e801efde55eb4389be.gif]
(08-28-2015, 10:29 AM)djs7685 Wrote: At least guys like Bfine will admit that it's "faith" to his beliefs.

People claiming they have "proof"....well, you may not know what the actual definition of "proof" is, guys.

If you want to claim you're religious based on faith, that's fine. I may think you're a bit looney for it, but whatever, at least you're not blatantly lying saying that you can prove to me that your God is real.

To each his own, but people need to realize that the concept of "faith" is that you believe without proof.  People who have found what they consider to be proof of god don't have faith...er, unless they have faith that their proof is legitimate, and if proof requires faith then it isn't proof now is it?

It's attribution. So few things we see have actual proof involved that we have faith in all manner of things. I have been in situations where my friend and I both heard a noise in an empty house and he attributed it to something supernatural and I attributed it to something mundane. Neither of us has "proof" of what is was, but we both drew our own conclusions and have "faith" that said conclusion is best.
I think believing or worshiping in a God is great.

As long as it helps someone on their personal journey.

It's when people want to impose those beliefs onto others and claim damnation on to those who don't conform to their own...  those I have a problem with.

At least try not to be a complete asshole on this portion of your journey so others can live in peace.

Thank you for living with us on the planet Earth.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Yes !

The world, the universe is too much intelligent, too much beautiful.

I have no religion though.

Who said that? Phil has said and i have said we both have proof for our individual beliefs. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(08-28-2015, 01:50 PM)Nately120 Wrote: To each his own, but people need to realize that the concept of "faith" is that you believe without proof.  People who have found what they consider to be proof of god don't have faith...er, unless they have faith that their proof is legitimate, and if proof requires faith then it isn't proof now is it?

It's attribution.  So few things we see have actual proof involved that we have faith in all manner of things.  I have been in situations where my friend and I both heard a noise in an empty house and he attributed it to something supernatural and I attributed it to something mundane.  Neither of us has "proof" of what is was, but we both drew our own conclusions and have "faith" that said conclusion is best.

Faith isn't believing without proof. It's believing without seeing.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(08-27-2015, 09:31 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: There are no such things as gods.  It's like Bigfoot, ghosts, or the Loch Ness Monster, but we don't have any blurry photographs of him.  

I really don't even see how such a high percentage of people believe in this.  A claim with zero evidence or corroborating proofs is somehow believed by about 3/4 of the population.  74% of otherwise sane adults believe this, and it's mind-boggling.

Give me one piece of evidence.  Just one.

They can't. End of story.
(08-28-2015, 02:54 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Faith isn't believing without proof. It's believing without seeing.

You are going to have to go further than that given seeing is a form of observation which is a part of proof....
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

(08-28-2015, 02:48 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Who said that? Phil has said and i have said we both have proof for our individual beliefs. 

I don't think you know what the actual definition of "proof" is.

At least some Christians understand how the whole faith thing works.
(08-28-2015, 02:43 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I and feel better believing I'm too smart for all that hooey.

Wish I was "smart" enough to believe a fish learned to breath air, walk, climb trees, and turn into man.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(08-28-2015, 11:22 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Wish I was "smart" enough to believe a fish learned to breath air, walk, climb trees, and turn into man.

After reading post after post of you showing how little you understand we all wish you were smarter too.   Rock On
(08-28-2015, 11:22 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Wish I was "smart" enough to believe a fish learned to breath air, walk, climb trees, and turn into man.

It really does sound crazy when you think about it, but it's not nearly as crazy as suggesting some dude living in the sky just made everything and then gets angry if we have butt sex. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(08-28-2015, 11:34 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: It really does sound crazy when you think about it, but it's not nearly as crazy as suggesting some dude living in the sky just made everything and then gets angry if we have butt sex. 

Actually the part about him being mad that some go against his design makes sense.

He has got to be looking down thinking.."Are you F...ing kidding me? I thought I made it pretty evident".
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]