Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fake Punt
I'm really struggling to understand why Dennard was not lined up outside with the gunner? He raced over after the snap but was clearly trailing the guy which defeats the whole point of blocking for a punt return. And we had had some great returns. I guess he was bluffing that they were going for the block but since they weren't trying to block the punt then they need to block the gunner.

I also think that this play really speaks to how little respect Pitt has for the Bengals. Seriously if that guy misses on the throw that would have given the Bengals amazing field position in a two score game. His throw was right on target but for a non QB he could have missed even if the receiver was open. They clearly weren't worried about giving the Bengals the ball back.

I know the fake gets called by the players on the field but I suspect that there is a stop sign when the coach would never allow a fake. Two scores up, in your own end, in the fourth quarter seems like a time you would want your coach to be okay with a fake.

It seemed like the Steelers were having fun for the whole fourth quarter and not worried at all about the Bengals fighting their way back into the game.
Reply/Quote
Coaching. They were just toying with us at that point.

We used to run a good fake punt to Peerman. But it's been years.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
It wasn’t just Dennard, whoever was on the other side was lined up 5 yards from the gunner too but wasn’t running around. It’s a stupid play design especially in that situation, we had just held them and we’re gonna get the ball back. If you are going to leave the gunners uncovered then you bring the house and try to block it, if they had come all the way in the Steelers probably audible and pull the gunners in to block. Instead we had them right in the middle where they are not in a position to affect the punt or block the gunners, makes no sense. In that situation you set up for the return because you still have a legitimate shot to get back into it. You don’t go for the block because any contact or offsides would give the Steelers a 1st, and you certainly don’t call a punt coverage that takes two of your players completely out of the play.

As for the Steelers, like the announcers said, those types of plays are dictated by a look the punt team sees from the D. They probably saw the look on film and prepped for it during the week, then Tomlin tells his guys if they get the look to run the fake because they know they have the advantage. Has nothing to do with respect, has to do with the other teams play and the field position. Any time you’re covering a punt where the other team is at midfield you have to be prepared for a fake. Any time. That’s fake punt territory and there is no excuse to fall for it. There is also no reason for Pitt not to attack it if you give them the right look. Pitt plays to win, unlike some teams we know
Reply/Quote
That’s peewee shit. If the gunner is left alone the back or punter yells fire and it’s pitch and catch. I repeat, that’s peewee football. Too complex for these dunces.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 09:23 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: That’s peewee shit. If the gunner is left alone the back or punter yells fire and it’s pitch and catch. I repeat, that’s peewee football. Too complex for these dunces.

It sure is....and field position doesn't have a damn thing to do with it.  I saw Bobby Bowden call one from his own 8. Down very late in the 4th. On the road. At Clemson.  Some teams are taught to go for the jugular....and others are the Mediocre Merv led Bungals.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 08:41 PM)CanadianBengal Wrote: I'm really struggling to understand why Dennard was not lined up outside with the gunner? He raced over after the snap but was clearly trailing the guy which defeats the whole point of blocking for a punt return. And we had had some great returns. I guess he was bluffing that they were going for the block but since they weren't trying to block the punt then they need to block the gunner.

I also think that this play really speaks to how little respect Pitt has for the Bengals. Seriously if that guy misses on the throw that would have given the Bengals amazing field position in a two score game. His throw was right on target but for a non QB he could have missed even if the receiver was open. They clearly weren't worried about giving the Bengals the ball back.

I know the fake gets called by the players on the field but I suspect that there is a stop sign when the coach would never allow a fake. Two scores up, in your own end, in the fourth quarter seems like a time you would want your coach to be okay with a fake.

It seemed like the Steelers were having fun for the whole fourth quarter and not worried at all about the Bengals fighting their way back into the game.

They probably saw something on film, and an opportunity to effectively lock the game up. Bonus they humiliated them at the same time.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 12:12 AM)Utts Wrote: They probably saw something on film, and an opportunity to effectively lock the game up. Bonus they humiliated them at the same time.

This. It just comes down to coaching, honestly. I think majority of the faults in the game, came down to it.

The Steelers have one of the faster defenses in the league, especially with how quick they swarm to the ball and how ruthless they can be. Yet, we continued to do screen passes. Just a huge recipe for disaster.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 04:27 AM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: This. It just comes down to coaching, honestly. I think majority of the faults in the game, came down to it.

The Steelers have one of the faster defenses in the league, especially with how quick they swarm to the ball and how ruthless they can be. Yet, we continued to do screen passes. Just a huge recipe for disaster.

AFAIR, we thre one screen all game.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
At first I was super pissed that they would run that play because it's such poor sportsmanship. They knew we weren't going to get back into it and they really did seem to actually be having a lot of fun in the 4th quarter. Looking at both sidelines you would think we were both winning. But, after seeing the replay and seeing that DHB wasn't covered at all.. I would have gone for it too.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 08:41 PM)CanadianBengal Wrote: I'm really struggling to understand why Dennard was not lined up outside with the gunner? He raced over after the snap but was clearly trailing the guy which defeats the whole point of blocking for a punt return. And we had had some great returns. I guess he was bluffing that they were going for the block but since they weren't trying to block the punt then they need to block the gunner.

The fake punt was one last kick in the nads, a closing reminder that you guys are not in our league, not even close.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Steelers have discipline, confidence, are well coached and trust their coaches.

They also know they will get benched if they walk off the field during a substitution or otherwise screw up.

Bengals have none of this.

Our guys laugh on sideline as we are losing and in the locker room after a loss.

Marv claps his hands.

Mike Brown hands out payroll to his family. Everyone happy about getting the checks which are issued regardless of whether team stinks.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 09:23 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: That’s peewee shit. If the gunner is left alone the back or punter yells fire and it’s pitch and catch. I repeat, that’s peewee football. Too complex for these dunces.

Yes that is above our coaches comprehension level. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 09:26 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: AFAIR, we thre one screen all game.

Yep and thought a few could have countered their rush. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 01:03 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Yep and thought a few could have countered their rush. 

TOOK THE WORDS RIGHT OUT OF MY MOUTH!!!!

I was happy we FINALLY ran one, but there were 3 Stoolers and only Boling on that side, thus the play was blown up.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
At first I was ticked that they called a fake punt when they were CLEARLY ahead and showed no signs of losing, but what really ticked me off was that Lewis didn't seem to care. Pittsburgh arguably just disrespected you by going for a fake punt up 2 scores in the 4th QTR. WHY ARE YOU NOT MAD?! I was almost hoping to wake up Monday to hear Lewis was fired because Brown was pissed about Merv's lack of reaction to the fake punt.

It's almost like Lewis is TRYING to get fired.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 09:26 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: AFAIR, we thre one screen all game.

Is that official? I could've swore there was more than one...

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
Coaching

They're coached to win, we're coached to not lose.
Reply/Quote
Is this on our ST coach? Who is our ST coach? Ok, I looked and he's apparently been there for 15 years and other details on him are hazy. I'm a little surprised I never once thought of this guy seeing as he's been here for such a long time. Maybe it's just me.
Reply/Quote
Meh Meh and double Meh.. I'm fairly convinced this team is owned lock, stock and barrel by the bookmakers and old Mikey and Marvin were the first dopey faces they could find to play team owner and head coach on TV.. 
When somebody asks if there's team owner or head coach in the room both stand up and say, "No, but we play them on TV.." 
Their real jobs are hemorrhoid ointment pitch guys in foreign lands. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 09:48 AM)grampahol Wrote: Meh Meh and double Meh.. I'm fairly convinced this team is owned lock, stock and barrel by the bookmakers and old Mikey and Marvin were the first dopey faces they could find to play team owner and head coach on TV.. 
When somebody asks if there's team owner or head coach in the room both stand up and say, "No, but we play them on TV.." 
Their real jobs are hemorrhoid ointment pitch guys in foreign lands. 

I wish there were some sort of fix in place.  The sad truth is that this team was inherited by a man who just isn't interested in winning the SB and he found a HC who will fall in line because he won't get that job anywhere else.  We have a GM who wouldn't be a GM of any other team and a HC who probably wouldn't be the HC of any other team (maybe he'd get a shameful stint elsewhere ala Lovie Smith and the Bucs?).

No fix.  We're just have 2 of the most important roles in the business staffed by untouchable guys who just roll along.
Reply/Quote