Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Fake Punt
I know locally you often get more in depth news, and just for kicks and giggles I'm curious as to how they call that fake punt so everyone knows it's coming?

In other words, who makes the decision to do it and who makes the audible?
Reply/Quote
When Fej counted the players on the other side he saw they only had 10. Bengals have an automatic option to run the fake whenever they see that.
Reply/Quote
I believe that if the fake is called from the sideline before the play we don't send in a punter so e have an extra blocker. That is the way we did it when Peerman busted a couple of long ones a few years ago.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2018, 04:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: When Fej counted the players on the other side he saw they only had 10.  Bengals have an automatic option to run the fake whenever they see that.

So Fej calls the audible?
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2018, 04:44 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I know locally you often get more in depth news, and just for kicks and giggles I'm curious as to how they call that fake punt so everyone knows it's coming?

In other words, who makes the decision to do it and who makes the audible?

The up man... Fej in this case makes the call...    and the audiable..  

Then receives the direct snap.  
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2018, 06:07 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: So Fej calls the audible?

Yes....or whoever the up man is.
Reply/Quote
He's showing why he's ST captain. That was an excellent call.
Reply/Quote
I guess Peerman ain't a comin back.. The runnin rev stuff was kind of stale anyway.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I want to see Fej return punts and not have Boyd or Ross doing that...Fej was FLYING!

I bet his buddy Pacman texted him some love after that play.
Reply/Quote
Dude was flat out flying. Did well at protecting the ball also. Good play call.

Reply/Quote
I don't know who's responsible to call it, but, I liked it !
Reply/Quote
What is the up man?

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 03:46 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: What is the up man?

The guy closest to the punter who you will see pointing and yelling things. The PP on this

[Image: spread-punt-foramation-revised.jpg]

Also it's Clay's call if they notice a bad trend that the other team's STs does, whether it be numbers or formation. They would never make this call against a team that we would play in the regular season (Like we wouldn't do this in the preseason against the Colts). It's a rare opportunity and one that isn't called often because even if you have numbers, it's a large risk to take.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 04:20 PM)eoxyod Wrote: The guy closest to the punter who you will see pointing and yelling things. The PP on this

[Image: spread-punt-foramation-revised.jpg]

Also it's Clay's call if they notice a bad trend that the other team's STs does, whether it be numbers or formation. They would never make this call against a team that we would play in the regular season (Like we wouldn't do this in the preseason against the Colts). It's a rare opportunity and one that isn't called often because even if you have numbers, it's a large risk to take.

Agreed. Can't see it coming. Thanks, I really didn't know what the up man was. This will be something I'm watching for from now on.

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2018, 07:10 PM)bengaloo Wrote: He's showing why he's ST captain. That was an excellent call.

Yes sir. Excellent, party time. Cool

Fej is our ST's stud with Wilson being the up and comer i truly believe.

I don't care if it is Preseason, now we put teams on edge right out of the gate. It just opens up more things.

Sick of vanilla, there are so many options in football, teams cannot prepare for it all, might as well practice it.
Reply/Quote
I was a freshman starting varsity in the playoffs against a nationally ranked team (played safety but also was the up man on punts), and then called a play exactly like what the Bengals did, and, after it was direct snapped to me, I took one step, tripped, and fell on my face.

ThumbsUp

They blew us out and likely would have anyways (had two D1 players, one of which ended up winning a Super Bowl as the Giants backup QB), but it was still shameful.

Actually, they had more D1 players, but I think those were the only two from the senior class.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2018, 08:28 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I want to see Fej return punts and not have Boyd or Ross doing that...Fej was FLYING!  

I bet his buddy Pacman texted him some love after that play.

I know you are the biggest Fej fan on the board Racer but Fej has never fielded Punts as far as i am aware of.

I think Wilson and Phillips need to be given some tries in place of Boyd and Ross, too risky.

Too valuable of commodities.

BTW, did Adam sign with the Stains?
Reply/Quote
I am surprised no one is talking about the center who snapped the ball. Looking at the replay it was a FAST and ANGLED snap (not that easy). Who was it? I don't think that was PRICE, we need to get that guy to hike the ball more often too in case Price needs a breather.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 06:17 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: I am surprised no one is talking about the center who snapped the ball. Looking at the replay it was a FAST and ANGLED snap (not that easy). Who was it? I don't think that was PRICE, we need to get that guy to hike the ball more often too in case Price needs a breather.

Pretty sure that is our Pro Bowl long snapper Clark Harris.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 04:33 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I was a freshman starting varsity in the playoffs against a nationally ranked team (played safety but also was the up man on punts), and then called a play exactly like what the Bengals did, and, after it was direct snapped to me, I took one step, tripped, and fell on my face.

ThumbsUp

They blew us out and likely would have anyways (had two D1 players, one of which ended up winning a Super Bowl as the Giants backup QB), but it was still shameful.

Actually, they had more D1 players, but I think those were the only two from the senior class.

I am sorry for your memory but at least you have a great story to tell.
Reply/Quote