Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fallout of a Regime Change
(10-26-2021, 01:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Plus we have drafted tons of team Captains and leaders out of college.

Given the current emphasis on character, I believe Joe Mixon would not have been drafted under Zak Taylor's regime.  I realize his stock dropped in the draft.  But, would that be OK not to have Mixon on this team because of the character concerns about him before the draft?
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2021, 11:21 AM)Graphicguy Wrote: Give Zak credit, he got Mike Brown to open up the wallet for the big money free agents (instead of MB looking for bargain, past their prim, players to sign).  

Taylor had nothing to do with that other than producing the worst record in team history.

Empty seats got MB to spend on free agents. Lewis was able to keep us competitive without them for years. Taylor couldn't. 
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2021, 12:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Taylor had nothing to do with that other than producing the worst record in team history.

Empty seats got MB to spend on free agents. Lewis was able to keep us competitive without them for years. Taylor couldn't. 

Maybe you’re right. Fact is, butts in the seats are just one of the revenue streams these days. That TV revenue is a sizeable lure, too.

Was thinking about W/L records under different coaching staffs. LeBeau….putrid. Shula had a bad record, too. Wyche had some “stinkers” for a few years. Paul Brown told him to get more rest. Mike Brown fired him.

The similarities in all of them? Once you lose the locker room, you’ve lost your job. Taylor never lost the locker room. Hope he never does.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2021, 12:22 PM)Graphicguy Wrote: Given the current emphasis on character, I believe Joe Mixon would not have been drafted under Zak Taylor's regime.  I realize his stock dropped in the draft.  But, would that be OK not to have Mixon on this team because of the character concerns about him before the draft?

Definitely wouldn't see Taylor drafting Mixon after that incident. But he fits here now as he is a good man on and off the field
and a leader for us. We paid Mixon a lot of dough, he needs to earn it and believe that he is. We just need to give him rest and 
not wear him out too fast is my only concern with him. Don't want to run him into the ground and I want to see more of Chris
Evans anyways. Bet we have a good day running on Halloween.
Reply/Quote