Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Family cancer scare
So, I hate doing these sorts of things, but I kind of just wanted to throw this out there to talk about. I have a cousin once removed (so my first cousin's son) that went to Pittsburgh Children's Hospital today and is dealing with some stuff. He sustained an injury playing basketball and eventually his nuts swelled up to the point that today, a week later, they took him to the ER and they rushed him to Pittsburgh. They performed surgery on him to remove his testicle with a malignant tumor on it. Now we wait to find out if the cancer has spread.

I'm always thinking about him and his family as they are very poor. Everything that can go wrong for them, does. They live in one of the poorest areas of Pennsylvania and they face so many hardships that it is hard for me to imagine it. Now their 17 year old son faces a situation of testicular cancer that, as some may know, can be very aggressive. We can only hope it has been discovered early enough. This boy, goodness knows how he does it, has one concern: playing football this season. He goes to a small Catholic school (they get vouchers because the public school system is so bad) that can barely field a team and they suck horribly, but he just wants to play.

Anyway, I just kind of wanted to write this out. If you want to send your well wishes, feel free, I don't know how often I will check back on this thread though. It was just one of those things crossing my mind that I wanted to put out there to the universe and the semi-anonymity of the message board seemed as good a place as any.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
Hope they get good news.
Reply/Quote
Sorry to hear that. Hope he recovers and goes on to do great things.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Let the kid and family know they he's got a few Bengals fans pulling for him. A Rven's fan, telling someone from the Pittsburgh area, that Bengal fans are pulling for him. That should be enough to at least bring a small smile.

I have no idea how kids can handle such things. but many are very strong.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2016, 05:27 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Let the kid and family know they he's got a few Bengals fans pulling for him. A Rven's fan , telling someone from the Pittsburgh area, that Bengal fans are pulling for him. That should be enough to at least bring a small smile.

I have no idea how kids can handle such things. but many are very strong.

Confused Mad

I get it, though, the purple for JMU can throw you off. But yeah, where they live is where my family is from. Thanks for the well wishes, everyone else as well. I just had to pick on you for that one a bit.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
Hope eveything goes well
Reply/Quote
Thoughts and prayers!
Reply/Quote
Thoughts and prayers.  Tough situation.  

**** Cancer.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2016, 06:20 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Thoughts and prayers.  Tough situation.  

**** Cancer.

Yes... **** cancer.

I hope it all works out good.... Lost my cousin's husband to colon cancer 3 years ago. Never like to hear about young people having it.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
That injury could very well end up saving his life if it was the reason they discovered the cancer. Good luck.
Reply/Quote
May lighter hearts be immediate and long life at hand.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Lost my father to colon cancer in June.
Reply/Quote
All the best to you and your's Matt.  Prayers for a speedy and full recovery.  As Beaker noted, the injury just may have saved his life, I sure hope so.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2016, 12:26 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Lost my father to colon cancer in June.

I lost my father to liver cancer a year ago.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
I know the feeling; I got mine at 21 and while my sitch is not nearly as bad as you've painted for your cousin, I was on the verge of getting kicked out of University (I was kicked out of my program), I almost lost my part-time job that bankrolled my University tuition and I was turned down by a chick I REALLY was game for (and she to me, but the cancer treatment and everything didn't "force," me to neglect her, but I couldn't spend as much time with her and she ended up going with someone else). So it was a few blows with all of that.

Hope all goes well with him and he is in my prayers; I never like hearing about cancer at all, but it indeed is worse for someone at this age. Good that he has a goal he wants to keep!
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2016, 11:07 PM)Beaker Wrote: That injury could very well end up saving his life if it was the reason they discovered the cancer. Good luck.

(08-18-2016, 09:22 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: All the best to you and your's Matt. Prayers for a speedy and full recovery. As Beaker noted, the injury just may have saved his life, I sure hope so.

I have no doubt about this at all. I know that testicular cancer has been known to be very aggressive in some people and so with this occurring he has a good chance. Of course he will really have to keep an eye on things throughout his life.

(08-18-2016, 12:26 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Lost my father to colon cancer in June.

(08-18-2016, 10:18 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: I lost my father to liver cancer a year ago.

I am currently just going on borrowed time with my father. This will be 14 years in November since his CLL diagnosis. I am lucky he's been strong enough to make it this far, but the past year and a half, two years, has seen him declining more and more to the point where more than a few steps without his oxygen tank is too much. They can't figure out what is wrong with his respiratory system, but they know at this point that because of the issues one lung is permanently out of commission. It took a year of him being on oxygen for the VA to let him see a pulmonologist, so I'm sure that didn't make things any better. He's ready to give up, but he keeps on going for my mother, sister, and niece.

Fred, on the colon cancer front, that is my big scare. My dad's mother and two of her siblings died from colon cancer. I'm kind of doomed. I'm considered starting to get tested around 35. I know that's probably TMI, but hey, whatever.

Reply/Quote