Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Fan Relations Summed Up in 20 Seconds
Video 
I can't speak for anyone other than myself, but I have a feeling this video encapsulates a many of fans feelings towards Mike Brown and the general approach of the F.O. It comes to mind especially often when perusing the board during free agency, and I think it's applicable now more than ever. Whatya think?

Reply/Quote
I think you nailed it lol
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
The Michael Scott "No no no God no nooooooooooooooooooo" gif is also appropriate for generally all things Bengals Front Office related.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I went to the game on Sunday, they sent me a survey about my game experience. It had comment sections, I did not hold back.
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
Yes, Michael Scott is the perfect example of how Wes Mantooth thinks.

Watch the show and you will understand what I mean.

BTW anyone surprised that Wes did not show up until after the first bad loss of the season?
Reply/Quote
The Bengals are our Toby?

That doesn't exactly work, because Toby really is not that bad at all... Micheal Scott is blinded with hate... or does that add to the comparison.

hmmmmm
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2019, 03:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes, Michael Scott is the perfect example of how Wes Mantooth thinks.

Watch the show and you will understand what I mean.

BTW anyone surprised that Wes did not show up until after the first bad loss of the season?

I can respect that tho.

Better than making a new thread about every flaw this team has.... I think you know who I'm referring to.
Reply/Quote
Dead on...there is an office clip for almost every situation you could ever find yourself in.
Reply/Quote
I don't hate the front office at all. People ***** and moan about draft picks (which they have largely been very good at) and FA (or lack thereof), but have no plan themselves for how they would do it.

In a salary cap era, there have to be decisions made. I was crucified for saying to get all you could for AJ Green (and it would have to be a lot for me to pull the trigger) to free up money to use on FA LBs.

I have been very vocal about needing offensive line help through the draft. WIlliams and Price were consensus first rounders. Cordy Glenn was a solid veteran LT that the Bengals were able to acquire, along with Price, essentially for one pick (trade). John Miller was at the very least a solid Guard, and say what you will about Hart, but he is a young guy with some upside. They didn't sit pat with Westerman to replace Boling when that became an issue, they brought in Jordan via the draft and Jerry via FA to compete for that spot. Andre Smith was brought in basically for depth at the OT position.

So, now that they are down two tackles, a guard, and a center (Price is still injured, but playing through it), everyone blames the front office for no rushing attack. Ced and Fish were the two biggest whiffs in recent history and instead of having a couple young studs that are in the prime of their career, those two are gone. Huge whiffs. And it has cost them dearly. However, it wasn't like they didn't try to address the position.

You could argue that they haven't done enough at LB, which is 100% accurate, but look at the investment on the back end: 3 first round picks at CB, as 2nd rounder at FS, and a 3rd rounder at SS. It seems like the jeckyl and hyde defensive line is as responsible as any unit on the defense for their struggles in week 2. Pressure covers the deficiency at LB and plays to the strengths of being able to play man on the back end.

Right now, I see a complete lack of execution on the defensive side.

Looking forward, I would hope the franchise would not draft a single position group outside of offensive line, defensive line, and LB. (in no particular order). The so-called skill positions won't do shit without improvements there.
Reply/Quote
One of my favorite Office scenes, quality. I will always love this team. The past few years have been disappointing and I've been more critical of them but I'll always be a fan. I've given up on beating up on Mike Brown. I'm not the biggest fan of him but he isn't going anywhere. I'm just watching the young guys and getting excited for them.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2019, 08:34 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I don't hate the front office at all.  People ***** and moan about draft picks (which they have largely been very good at) and FA (or lack thereof), but have no plan themselves for how they would do it.

In a salary cap era, there have to be decisions made.  I was crucified for saying to get all you could for AJ Green (and it would have to be a lot for me to pull the trigger) to free up money to use on FA LBs.

I have been very vocal about needing offensive line help through the draft.  WIlliams and Price were consensus first rounders.  Cordy Glenn was a solid veteran LT that the Bengals were able to acquire, along with Price, essentially for one pick (trade).  John Miller was at the very least a solid Guard, and say what you will about Hart, but he is a young guy with some upside.  They didn't sit pat with Westerman to replace Boling when that became an issue, they brought in Jordan via the draft and Jerry via FA to compete for that spot.  Andre Smith was brought in basically for depth at the OT position.

So, now that they are down two tackles, a guard, and a center (Price is still injured, but playing through it), everyone blames the front office for no rushing attack.  Ced and Fish were the two biggest whiffs in recent history and instead of having a couple young studs that are in the prime of their career, those two are gone.  Huge whiffs.  And it has cost them dearly.  However, it wasn't like they didn't try to address the position.

You could argue that they haven't done enough at LB, which is 100% accurate, but look at the investment on the back end:  3 first round picks at CB, as 2nd rounder at FS, and a 3rd rounder at SS.  It seems like the jeckyl and hyde defensive line is as responsible as any unit on the defense for their struggles in week 2.  Pressure covers the deficiency at LB and plays to the strengths of being able to play man on the back end.

Right now, I see a complete lack of execution on the defensive side.  

Looking forward, I would hope the franchise would not draft a single position group outside of offensive line, defensive line, and LB. (in no particular order).  The so-called skill positions won't do shit without improvements there.

Nice post. And hidden in that all is the: Do we just draft bad players that teams can't develop (or) Are our coaches not developing them.

Like Price - As you mentioned, he was good in college. Did he just forget how to play here? Is it the wrong scheme? His pass blocking grade by PFF last game, was something like 7.1. That's not a typo. I've never saw one that low.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2019, 10:23 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: One of my favorite Office scenes, quality. I will always love this team. The past few years have been disappointing and I've been more critical of them but I'll always be a fan. I've given up on beating up on Mike Brown. I'm not the biggest fan of him but he isn't going anywhere. I'm just watching the young guys and getting excited for them.

I amended your post as follows:

One of my favorite Office scenes, quality. I will always love this team. The past few decades have been disappointing and I've been more critical of them but I'll always be a fan. I will never give up on beating up on Mike Brown. He is useless but he isn't going anywhere. I'm just watching the young guys and I feel sorry for them as they are wasting their careers. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
Oh, I lost it Sunday. Got myself put in timeout, but I didn't think I said anything that bad
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2019, 11:10 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Nice post. And hidden in that all is the: Do we just draft bad players that teams can't develop (or) Are our coaches not developing them.

Like Price - As you mentioned, he was good in college. Did he just forget how to play here? Is it the wrong scheme? His pass blocking grade by PFF last game, was something like 7.1. That's not a typo. I've never saw one that low.

The issue with Price is that they went into the draft with no starting C, Ragnew was drafted right before them, and they basically had to take the best C available.  Yeah, they said in the presser that they had Price higher, but they say that every time a guy at the same position they drafted goes off the board in front of them.  They also said they had Zeitler higher than DeCastro and Akili higher than Couch and McNabb.  The issue is compounded because they drafted a guy who was injured and plugged him in as the immediate starter.  Now, people still trying to claim he's struggling because he's playing hurt is a huge reach, because he hasn't been on the injury report and it would be a violation of NFL rules to conceal it.

Systems also make a big difference.  Bates looked like a Pro Bowler in the making last year, but now he looks awful.  However, he was drafted to play in Austin's defense.  He isn't necessarily a scheme fit in Anarumo's defense.  Last year, we had a bunch of guys who played well in Zimmer's defense that didn't fit at all in Austin's.  I would say a big misstep this off-season was focusing on resigning a bunch of the guys from the previous regime instead of getting more guys that fit the incoming schemes.  Now, some talent can learn an adapt to a new scheme with time, but others might not.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2019, 11:10 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Nice post. And hidden in that all is the: Do we just draft bad players that teams can't develop (or) Are our coaches not developing them.

The sample size for him in pass protection was extremely small.. and he got his @%% kicked and then held on a play to make up for it. He didn't look good. Did anyone notice Frankie Ragnow got what a 79.7 pff grade at center.....
Reply/Quote
I think this upcoming draft has GOT to address the OL and LB.. anyone else should come from CFA's and if they wiff again fire any and everyone involved in drafting, but that may require someone putting a hit on Brown himself if you really want structural changes. The problem is that nobody in his or her right mind is going to risk either life imprisonment or the death penalty to change how a football team operates. I know..recruit some just plain crazy bastard and pay him enough to carry it out! I can see the headlines already...The most passionate fans anywhere, Bengals fans indicted for hiring a hit man to attempt to win a season!  Hilarious
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote