Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fan-Valuation #1 D-Line
Adding Reader gives us one of the most formidable DLines in the NFL. Who makes the final cut is going to depend on who best fits with the scheme they want to run. And who actually performs. Any way you try to slice it, I think some pretty good football players won't make the cut. Tough decisions ahead.

I think we have to give this position group an A. It has the potential to be an A+, but we have to wait to see how they perform.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 06:07 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: Adding Reader gives us one of the most formidable DLines in the NFL. Who makes the final cut is going to depend on who best fits with the scheme they want to run. And who actually performs. Any way you try to slice it, I think some pretty good football players won't make the cut. Tough decisions ahead.

I think we have to give this position group an A. It has the potential to be an A+, but we have to wait to see how they perform.

The thing that excites me most about Reader is that he will open up the game for our LBers.  Wilson and Pratt should have big seasons this year.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
DL room was already strong before they picked a Team Captain from ND- ton of talent here

Geno and Reader in the middle Carlos and Hubbard on each end

Lawson, Tupou, Glasgow, Wren, Brown & Kareem rotating in to keep the studs fresh

Solid A
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 05:55 PM)J24 Wrote: Hubbard is a good all  around player but Lawson is the superior Pass Rusher of the two. People are going to be surprised when he leads the League in Sacks this Season.

That would certainly be surprising....

He’d have to go from his career high of 8.5 to about 20.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 08:19 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That would certainly be surprising....

He’d have to go from his career high of 8.5 to about 20.

The defense has improved around him and the offense should score a ton more points than last season. Needless to say that should lead to more opportunities for him to rush the passer. He already proved he can disrupt the QB with 22 hits last season( last 4 games he 14 QB hits)
The only thing that can stop him is injury if healthy he is due for a big year.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Locks to make the 53: Geno, Reader, Dunlap, Hubbard, Lawson.

That leaves 4-5 spots. I'd go:
1) Tupou
2) Kareem
3) Glasgow
4) Wren

Though I do not think any of the last 4 are locks, and there more be another spot open (certainly on the PS).
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2020, 02:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I am most excited about Reader and how he can free up the rest of the guys to make plays.

Atkins, Reader, Tupou, Wren, Dunlap, Hubbard, Lawson, Kareem, Brown are the guys I see making the main roster.

Definitely one of the best DL's in the NFL, top 5. I think it has been unfair to the DL how bad our Linebackers have been
the last few years. It doesn't matter how good the DL is if the QB just can drop the ball off to the RB, TE or WR and they
just keep converting first downs cause the LB's cannot tackle or cover worth a lick.

(04-30-2020, 07:11 PM)J24 Wrote: The thing that excites me most about Reader is that he will open up the game for our LBers.  Wilson and Pratt should have big seasons this year.

Hell, yeah. Our LBs gonna FEAST!! I'll do LBs next, with a little twist. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 05:58 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, Lawson is a better pass rusher than Hubbard when healthy. Hope you are correct that would be awesome.

And that's the key. I am in no way bashing Lawson, but with his health regardless of his potential he has not been as productive as Hubbard, who seemingly gets pressure on just about every play. I hope this is Carl's year, but he's got to show up and stay healthy
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 10:38 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Locks to make the 53: Geno, Reader, Dunlap, Hubbard, Lawson.

That leaves 4-5 spots. I'd go:
1) Tupou
2) Kareem
3) Glasgow
4) Wren

Though I do not think any of the last 4 are locks, and there more be another spot open (certainly on the PS).

I think Tupou and Glasgow are locks. Wren has the potential, but he's got to put it together. I really don't know much about Kareem.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 11:15 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: Hell, yeah. Our LBs gonna FEAST!! I'll do LBs next, with a little twist. 

ThumbsUp 

(05-01-2020, 08:22 AM)Sled21 Wrote: And that's the key. I am in no way bashing Lawson, but with his health regardless of his potential he has not been as productive as Hubbard, who seemingly gets pressure on just about every play. I hope this is Carl's year, but he's got to show up and stay healthy

Yep, love Lawson but he has to stay healthy for him to live up to his potential. Hope this is the year.

Hubbard is a stud already.
Reply/Quote
And they just re-signed Tupou so there's another lock.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 08:34 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Hubbard has been twice the player Lawson has....

Twice the player?  No way.  Lawson is a top tier pass rusher when healthy.  Of course, that's the problem.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 04:36 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Twice the player?  No way.  Lawson is a top tier pass rusher when healthy.  Of course, that's the problem.

Yes, twice the player. If you aren't on the field, you aren't contributing. Hubbard has been at least twice the player as Lawson. Look at their numbers.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 08:24 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I think Tupou and Glasgow are locks. Wren has the potential, but he's got to put it together. I really don't know much about Kareem.

I think that is fair. The only reason I did not have Tupou as a lock was that he hadn't signed his RFA tender yet.

I think, fairly obviously, those are our top 6 DLs: Reader, Geno, and Tupou at DT/NT and Dunlap, Hubbard, & Lawson at DE.

We are going to keep at least 8 on the 53, probably 9. Heck, they kept 11 to start last year. At a min, that leaves room for 1 more DE (Kareem, Brown) and 1 more DT (Glasgow, Wren).

Plus we picked 2 DTs as UDFAs (Clark, Dishon), that indicates we are not totally thrilled with our DT depth. I think Clark has a shot. He or Wren or even Kareem could be PS guys. 

IDK, I am not gonna call anyone a lock beyond the top 6. I'd be stunned if Kareem did not at least make the PS. If we only keep 8, I think there is competition for the #4 DE/DT spots, and that assumes we do not keep an extra SAM/edge type over a DE type. If we keep 9, not sure if the extra guy is edge or DT, though Kareem can play both.
Reply/Quote
This unit looks strong.  It looks like it is primarily built to play Jim Schwartz style ball: 4 down linemen who can control their gaps and generate consistent pressure.  The achilles heel of this line may be a lack of pure edge rusher depth.  Lawson and Dunlap are the only pure edge screamers that I see.  That's not to knock Hubbard, who is very good, just an observation that he's more of an edge batterer who doesn't stay blocked.  Blitzing a quick twitcher like Bell/Davis-Gaither from beyond the 5 gap, stunts, and allowing the 3 tech to play with reckless abandon from time to time should all be good options for generating immediate heat on the QB with this group.

I see the following 9 making the roster:

NT: Reader, Tupou, (Glasgow)
3T: Atkins, Brown, Glasgow, Clark
5T: Dunlap, Hubbard, (Lawson), (Brown)
Rush OLB: Lawson

Many of the 3 techs listed may be flexible as 4 techs for 3-4 looks.  Clark's spot could certainly be up for grabs by Wren, Kareem, or anyone who steps up.  I just went with Clark because he looks to have a nasty first step and a playing style that would pair well with a pure NT.

I'm amped up to see all of them, really.  I see good players at complementary roles.  Reader and Tupou should allow for the other players to really bring the juice on some of their rush attempts.  
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2020, 02:47 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: This unit looks strong.  It looks like it is primarily built to play Jim Schwartz style ball: 4 down linemen who can control their gaps and generate consistent pressure.  The achilles heel of this line may be a lack of pure edge rusher depth.  Lawson and Dunlap are the only pure edge screamers that I see.  That's not to knock Hubbard, who is very good, just an observation that he's more of an edge batterer who doesn't stay blocked.  Blitzing a quick twitcher like Bell/Davis-Gaither from beyond the 5 gap, stunts, and allowing the 3 tech to play with reckless abandon from time to time should all be good options for generating immediate heat on the QB with this group.

I see the following 9 making the roster:

NT: Reader, Tupou, (Glasgow)
3T: Atkins, Brown, Glasgow, Clark
5T: Dunlap, Hubbard, (Lawson), (Brown)
Rush OLB: Lawson

Many of the 3 techs listed may be flexible as 4 techs for 3-4 looks.  Clark's spot could certainly be up for grabs by Wren, Kareem, or anyone who steps up.  I just went with Clark because he looks to have a nasty first step and a playing style that would pair well with a pure NT.

I'm amped up to see all of them, really.  I see good players at complementary roles.  Reader and Tupou should allow for the other players to really bring the juice on some of their rush attempts.  

Great post Bilbo, don't want this ignored. Cool
Reply/Quote