Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fanspeak Challenge
Thought it would be fun to do a mock challenge on Fanspeak. Everyone interested use the same criteria and see what you come up with. The criteria I used was the following:

* 7 Rounds
* CBS Big Board
* NFL team needs
* Classic difficulty

Then draft and post your results. Here is mine...….

11: R1P11

OT JAWAAN TAYLOR
FLORIDA

The more film I watch on this kid the more I like him. I see a Willie Anderson dominance with more athleticism. I see Taylor as a day 1 plug and play RT who will be there for many years to come.

42: R2P10
G CHRIS LINDSTROM
BOSTON COLLEGE

He is just a brute and a technician. Either plug and play at RG or C with Price moving to RG. Experience playing RT so could serve as an emergency swing player as well. Could play LG no doubt. The OL cannot be a weakness any longer. You have to run block and pass block well and these first two selections can do that.

72: R3P8
C ERIK MCCOY
TEXAS A&M

I thought I was done with the OL until I saw McCoy still there. No way could I leave him on the board. Another plug and play day 1 starter at any of the three interior OL positions. Injuries happen every single week in the NFL. Boling is not getting younger and our depth at this point....well it just is not very good. Wham helped that.

110: R4P8
LB CHASE HANSEN
UTAH

I think this kid has a chance to become a defensive weapon as a coverage LB. Former DB who is a recent conversion to the position. Still growing into the spot and has the frame to add some more mass yet keep his range and quickness. We need serious help covering backs and TEs and I believe he will be an upgrade in those areas for sure.

149: R5P11
CB ISAIAH JOHNSON
HOUSTON

You have to like the measurables on this kid. Elite size, length, and speed combination. Maybe what is more impressive is his production as a boundary CB while his first two collegiate seasons were as a WR. Shows the kid is coachable as well. I think with NFL coaching he can be a special player at the position.

183: R6P10
DL DONTAVIUS RUSSELL
AUBURN

Just solid. Will be a great addition to our interior DL rotation as a run stuffing block eater. Will need to get his pad level down at the NFL level but overall just a very solid football player.

198: R6P25
WR ANTOINE WESLEY
TEXAS TECH

Not a burner but extremely polished as a route runner and can use his body very well to create opportunity. Crazy catch radius with elite ball skills.

210: R6P37
LB JOE GILES-HARRIS
DUKE

I see another Vinny Rey in Giles-Harris but with more athleticism and better coverage skills. As with Rey technically sound. Ability to be an inside/outside player at the next level. An extremely solid addition to the LB room.

211: R6P38
RB TRAVIS HOMER
MIAMI (FLA.)

Replaced Walton at Miami and will replace him here. The one thing you have to really like is his ability in pass protection. Won't wow you with anything in his game but is just a very good overall player. Decent speed, good quickness, and runs tough between the tackles. I like the kid.

213: R6P40
LB KHALIL HODGE
BUFFALO

I think the NFL was extremely wrong in not offering a combine invite to this young man. He was only the nation's second leading tackler. Has virtually everything you are looking for in a three down backer in today's NFL. Yeah may need some polish and time adjusting to the competition but I believe when he cracks into a starting lineup that he is going to be there for a very long time and be very productive during that time.

223: R7P9
TE ZACH GENTRY
MICHIGAN

I was surprised to see him still available but hey since he was I could not pass the chance to take a shot on a 6'8" 260 lb pass catcher. He runs pretty well and is amazingly fluid as a route runner. Really needs to improve as a blocker if he wants to be anything more than a situational receiver and become a three down TE but blocking can be taught if you have the desire.

So there you have it let's see what you can do.
Reply/Quote
Man, if we landed Taylor and Lindstrom with the 1st two picks, I would be ecstatic. I would question taking McCoy though, because I wouldn't see a need for him at that point and there would be decent options available at other positions, but that's just my opinion.

Like the draft overall, as I'm a fan of the Hansen and Russell picks as well. Really like the final 2 picks as well, and think they are good value at those spots. Will have to give this a try later.

(BTW, nice top see you posting again brother!)
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2019, 01:38 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Man, if we landed Taylor and Lindstrom with the 1st two picks, I would be ecstatic. I would question taking McCoy though, because I wouldn't see a need for him at that point and there would be decent options available at other positions, but that's just my opinion.

Like the draft overall, as I'm a fan of the Hansen and Russell picks as well. Really like the final 2 picks as well, and think they are good value at those spots. Will have to give this a try later.

(BTW, nice top see you posting again brother!)

I struggles with the McCoy pick but I just could not find a value that made me willing to pass on him. I think he is an exceptional young lineman and extremely tired of seeing this be a weakness for us as I am sure you could tell with the Taylor and Lindstrom selections.

I think Price, Lindstrom, and McCoy are three interchangeable pieces that could be extremely productive for a very long time. I would be thrilled to see an interior line consisting of those three players and would not care who was where.
Reply/Quote
Didn't expect White to still be there at pick 11, but I was happy. Obviously not as much help at OT and TE, but got some really good pieces elsewhere. I think Hyatt's underrated and there's no way Cashman will be there at that pick. Our LB's would immediately be better.

LB DEVIN WHITE
LSU

G CHRIS LINDSTROM
BOSTON COLLEGE

WR PARRIS CAMPBELL
OHIO ST.

DL TERRY BECKNER, JR.
MISSOURI

OT MITCH HYATT
CLEMSON

LB BLAKE CASHMAN
MINNESOTA

CB HAMP CHEEVERS
BOSTON COLLEGE

RB TONY POLLARD
MEMPHIS

TE ZACH GENTRY
MICHIGAN

QB GARDNER MINSHEW II
WASHINGTON ST.

C JAVON PATTERSON
OLE MISS
[Image: y35bdhbl]
Reply/Quote
I used NFL combined big board for mine.

Quote:11: R1P11
OT JAWAAN TAYLOR
FLORIDA
LB MACK WILSON
ALABAMA
G DARRYL WILLIAMS
MISSISSIPPI STATE
TE JACE STERNBERGER
TEXAS A&M
RB MIKE WEBER
OHIO STATE
LB KHALIL HODGE
BUFFALO
CB HAMP CHEEVERS
BOSTON COLLEGE
LB KENDALL JOSEPH
CLEMSON
WR TERRY GODWIN
GEORGIA
QB JORDAN TA'AMU
MISSISSIPPI
OT COLTON JACKSON
ARKANSAS
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
I did one with Fanspeaks Board

R1P11 LB Devin White LSU
R2P10 OT Andre Dillard Washington
R3P8 OT David Edwards Wisconsin
R4P8 TE Isaac Nauta Georgia
R5P11 G Dru Samia Oklahoma
R6P10 LB Kahil Hodge Buffalo
R6P25 OT/G Oli Udoh Elon
R6P37 OT Chuma Edoga USC
R6P38 CB Jordan Brown South Dakota State
R6P40 Edge Sutton Smith Northern Illinois
R7P9 DT Trysten Hill UCF

I know I dipped a lot in the OL, but Value was there and didn't see much better to grab considering how weak we are all around on it. We are fairly good on Defense especially with White in the fold. And don't ask me why Dillard fell, I've actually seen some mocks with us taking him in Round 2 and I would love that 1-2 punch. And I got us a LG as well to train up in case Boling leaves.

It's not the Perfect Draft, but to me it sets us up really nice for future drafts to draft for luxury.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Used the same criteria and went with...

LB DEVIN WHITE
LSU

TE IRV SMITH JR.
ALABAMA

OT DAVID EDWARDS
WISCONSIN

QB JARRETT STIDHAM
AUBURN

WR MECOLE HARDMAN
GEORGIA

LB BLAKE CASHMAN
MINNESOTA

CB JIMMY MORELAND
JAMES MADISON

DL ED ALEXANDER
LSU

RB JORDAN SCARLETT
FLORIDA

K COLE TRACY
LSU

G ALEX BARS
NOTRE DAME
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
Gave it another shot using the same criteria of original draft and ended up with the following which may actually be slightly better I think....

OT JAWAAN TAYLOR
FLORIDA

I would be ecstatic if Taylor is still on the boards at 11 for the Bengals but will be shocked if he is.  However, if he is I think we are set at RT for the next 10 years as we were with Willie Anderson.

LB MACK WILSON
ALABAMA

All the LB discussion has prompted me to watch more film on some of these guys and I see a guy in Wilson that IMO is not far off of White whom many see as a consensus top 15 selection. Wilson is just solid and has shown some coverage ability which is what has hurt our defense for several seasons now. I think in Wilson you have a guy with the ability to man either MLB or SLB and not be a liability covering backs or TEs.

C ERIK MCCOY
TEXAS A&M

It is difficult to really find any fault on the game of McCoy outside what you would expect from any player making the move from the collegiate game to the NFL, McCoy is just a solid all around lineman. I see a guy that could be a day 1 starter at C or G.

G BEAU BENZSCHAWEL
WISCONSIN

While he may not end up as a starter he is a guy that is exactly what has come to be expected of Wisconsin linemen. Technicians that are well coached. Superior pass blocker but needs to gain more strength to be a force at the NFL level in run blocking. Could be that swing guy off the bench at T or G.

CB ISAIAH JOHNSON
HOUSTON

I really like the upside this kid brings to the table. First two collegiate seasons were are a WR so he is still learning the position but has shown promise as a boundary CB. Elite size, speed, length combination. Has shown that he takes coaching with his transition to a new position. Should really benefit from NFL coaching.

DL DONTAVIUS RUSSELL
AUBURN

Would be thrilled to get Russell here. Just a solid all around DT that should fit perfectly in our D line rotation. Block eating run stuffer which is what we have been missing.

LB JOE GILES-HARRIS
DUKE

Like our other Duke LB Vinny Rey just a good all around backer however probably even more athletic with better cover skills. I really like the new tandem we would have in Wilson and Giles-Harris. I see a couple of LBs that could serve this franchise well for many seasons to come. If they can get Jefferson up to speed then this unit could be a strength for sure. 

TE ZACH GENTRY
MICHIGAN

Not a physical blocker but a good receiver that should be a matchup nightmare. What a target he should be in the redzone.

OT PAUL ADAMS
MISSOURI

Adams has shown the ability to handle the SEC rushers and has pretty good feet. T/G backup that may be able to start at RT for extended periods if needed.

WR JAZZ FERGUSON
NORTHWESTERN STATE

Raw prospect that has shown great body control with legit speed to go with his elite size. Certainly will need some polish on his route running but outstanding upside. 

G DERWIN GRAY
MARYLAND

OT at the collegiate level could probably play OT at the NFL level in an emergency but a guy that could be very successful moving inside to G. Needs to work on pad level but has the measurables to be a successful NFL lineman.
Reply/Quote
Using your criteria:

R1P11 Edge Josh Allen Kentucky
R2P10 TE Irv Smith Jr Alabama
R3P8 OT David Edwards Wisconsin
R4P8 G Ben Powers Oklahoma
R5P11 OT Chuma Edoga USC
R6P10 DT Trysten Hill UCF
R6P25 LB Kahlil Hodge Buffalo
R6P37 CB Jordan Brown South Dakota State
R6P38 DE Sutton Smith Northern Illinois
R6P40 TE Donald Parham Stetson