Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fantasy Baseball 2018 Practice
I've been getting ready with some mock drafts on internet. CBS site.   I had one team all great hitting, but no pitching as others made a run on pitching and let me draft a batting line-up I never dreamed, but my pitching was awful.  In other drafts I've noticed if I take a top pitcher first, I can still come back next pick and get a hitter like Joey Votto or AaRon Judge or somebody like these 2.  There is always a great hitter in pick 2.  These mock drafts are showing me a pitcher in 1 before top pitchers are gone, and then a top hitter in 2.  After that, there are pitchers and hitters I like to round out my team that are good.  I'm leaving catcher for last as in football leaving kicker for last.  It lets me get an upgrade on a pitcher or hitter other rounds that way. I've been getting Grandal and Barnhart last 2 picks, and they are as good as most at catcher.  I've also been practicing picking 1st. 5th or 6th and Last for practice and it does change things. Building a list of players on the site helps as the draft goes fast when you are on the board. Easier to have a list you built to click on. I also like putting it on where I see my team needs, as opposed to who others are drafting.  In crunch times, using the clicker to pull up position you need and players still on board at that positions rescues you to get a pick in.

I do my first real draft at 4 PM today.  I need a top 10 pitcher in Round 1, I've discovered that.  There are about 10 Fantasy League Hitters I won't pass on if still on board in 2.  

Round 1 is Kershaw, Scherzer, Sale, Kluber, Carrsaco, Strasburg, Verlander, Severino, Gio Gonzalez, DeGrom, with Greinke and Santana injured to start season.

Round 2 is Blackmon, Stanton, Judge, Arenado, Altuve, Goldschmidt and Votto that I just can't pass on if still on board.  I don't really want first base early because I like Zimmerman, Smoak, Santana that are on boards much later.  I would love to get J Ramirez in draft because like Pete Rose, you can put him at several positions during injuries of season. Still, if of these 7, it is Votto left on board, which has happened in some Mocks, I walk away with say Kershaw and Votto and feel my draft off to a great start.  I have been able to go hitting and get Blackmon and Judge but weak on pitching. A top pitcher and then one of these 7 hitters to me is a great start.  Trout and some other hitters ranked ahead of some of my top 7 hitters, so my hitters can drop to me. It helps that there are hitters I know put up great numbers at their positions that fall to mid to late rounds. What doesn't fall is top pitching much. I would like to get 3 good pitchers early in draft, and I can do that if I land a couple top hitters early as well. There are a couple young pitchers who really did good last year, but they won't be on the boards after round 5 or 6 or 7. 3 good pitchers and I can work out the rest. I know hitters at positions that would round out a top pick hitter. I'm not worried about fielding in Fantasy, that helps. I am not against taking an injured player late rounds if he is due back, and pitcher Santana or Vargas could be steals end of draft if you can wait out their injuries and have them in May.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2018, 09:40 AM)kevin Wrote: I've been getting ready with some mock drafts on internet. CBS site.   I had one team all great hitting, but no pitching as others made a run on pitching and let me draft a batting line-up I never dreamed, but my pitching was awful.  In other drafts I've noticed if I take a top pitcher first, I can still come back next pick and get a hitter like Joey Votto or AaRon Judge or somebody like these 2.  There is always a great hitter in pick 2.  These mock drafts are showing me a pitcher in 1 before top pitchers are gone, and then a top hitter in 2.  After that, there are pitchers and hitters I like to round out my team that are good.  I'm leaving catcher for last as in football leaving kicker for last.  It lets me get an upgrade on a pitcher or hitter other rounds that way. I've been getting Grandal and Barnhart last 2 picks, and they are as good as most at catcher.  I've also been practicing picking 1st. 5th or 6th and Last for practice and it does change things. Building a list of players on the site helps as the draft goes fast when you are on the board. Easier to have a list you built to click on. I also like putting it on where I see my team needs, as opposed to who others are drafting.  In crunch times, using the clicker to pull up position you need and players still on board at that positions rescues you to get a pick in.

I do my first real draft at 4 PM today.  I need a top 10 pitcher in Round 1, I've discovered that.  There are about 10 Fantasy League Hitters I won't pass on if still on board in 2.  

Round 1 is Kershaw, Scherzer, Sale, Kluber, Carrsaco, Strasburg, Verlander, Severino, Gio Gonzalez, DeGrom, with Greinke and Santana injured to start season.

Round 2 is Blackmon, Stanton, Judge, Arenado, Altuve, Goldschmidt and Votto that I just can't pass on if still on board.  I don't really want first base early because I like Zimmerman, Smoak, Santana that are on boards much later.  I would love to get J Ramirez in draft because like Pete Rose, you can put him at several positions during injuries of season. Still, if of these 7, it is Votto left on board, which has happened in some Mocks, I walk away with say Kershaw and Votto and feel my draft off to a great start.  I have been able to go hitting and get Blackmon and Judge but weak on pitching. A top pitcher and then one of these 7 hitters to me is a great start.  Trout and some other hitters ranked ahead of some of my top 7 hitters, so my hitters can drop to me. It helps that there are hitters I know put up great numbers at their positions that fall to mid to late rounds. What doesn't fall is top pitching much.  I would like to get 3 good pitchers early in draft, and I can do that if I land a couple top hitters early as well. There are a couple young pitchers who really did good last year, but they won't be on the boards after round 5 or 6 or 7.   3 good pitchers and I can work out the rest.  I know hitters at positions that would round out a top pick hitter. I'm not worried about fielding in Fantasy, that helps. I am not against taking an injured player late rounds if he is due back, and pitcher Santana or Vargas could be steals end of draft if you can wait out their injuries and have them in May.

Always try to get an Ace in first round and then some sluggers. Would narrow the pitchers down to Sale, Kershaw, Scherzer and Kluber if possible. If not may go slugger and grab one of the others in round two. 

Do not sleep on 1st base forever though because if you get left out which I have before you will be giving up a ton of production from top tier to bottom of barrel. Yet believe you are right in strategy but have to be flexible and not follow trends that make draft flow certain direction. 

Such as if they take 6 pitchers in a row to start grab a slugger instead of following suit because if you do this you will only end up with 7th best player in every category. Instead beat them to punch elsewhere knowing you can probably get that same pitcher next round. 

Punting catcher is something I do often as well and sometimes SS too. But if Gary Sanchez is still there in 4th round would not pass. 

Have done really well over the years monetarily in baseball and love it. Fantasy football actually bores me now even though I still play. 
Our league is daily line-up changes and a 8 man keeper league with 4 rookie eligible players aloud to be kept as well. The first 6 cost you your first 6 picks but all others are prorated by rankings and cost the round they are predicted to be selected in. Have 8 man minor league taxi squads as well. It is only for the serious player. 

My pitching squad is Kershaw, Scherzer, Strasburg, Paxton, Matt Harvey, Maeda, Velasquez, and Junis. 

Closers are Doolittle(Nationals), Marrow (Cubs), Familia (Mets)

Hitters are Miguel Cabrera, Matt Carpenter, Anthony Rendon, Eric Hosmer, Chris Taylor, Trevor Story, Wilson Ramos, and my all sleeper outfield  Castellanos, Deshields, and Yasiel Puig

Bench Colin Moran, Jeimer Candelario, Daniel Vogelbach, and Asdrubal Cabrera per being eligible at 3rd, SS, and 2nd. Always like one of these multi eligible players on bench in daily line up leagues. 

As you can tell I am ate up with this stuff and love it. 

Good Luck in your draft Brother !
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Actually my draft is still going on and have one more SP and one more RP to select.

Usually grab a 2 duel eligible SP/RP at this time. One to stash in relief and rotate out to get an extra start or two a week. But the people I play with are very savvy and have snatched them up. Took a couple minor leaguers early that cost me on this. But know there will be plenty a month into the season after injuries and pitchers getting moved around.

So will be taking Carlos Rondon to stash on my IR list and grab and UDFA after draft is complete and probably Tyson Ross with other. Think he will make rotation and bounce back per pitching in SD again in pitchers park where he had his success to begin with.

Will just add and drop weekly duel starters until the right duel eligible pitcher can be added.

We now do a draft that takes about 10 days to do instead of doing all at once in couple hours per vote. Prefer the quick ones because those owners unprepared always make silly mistakes. Now the can take hours to research each pick.

Still is ok and phone notifies me when 2 picks away, on deck, and at the plate.

Good Luck Again

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Thanks Go Cards. Just ended my first draft. Team Name. The Bat Holes.

I drafted 8th, but still got Carrasco as Ace Pitcher and then Aaron Judge for outfield power bat.

Pitchers Carrasco, Gio Gonzalez, Wood, Arrieta, Lynn, Davies.

Starters Grandal-C, Zimmerman-1st, Cano-2nd, Andrus-SS, Lamb-3rd, Judge-OF, Ozuna-OF, McCutchen-OF, Encarnacion-DH/1st

Bench Gardner-OF, Lowrie-2nd, Anderson-ss, Castellanos-3rd

I didn't know I needed 2 relief pitchers in this league. At end I got AJ Ramos and Lecterc who I have already put in waiver trades on them to try to get F/A Viscaino and Familia, which would help my late draft discovery I needed 2 relievers and I couldn't find who I wanted in short draft time.

Drafting near last, I'm happy getting Carrasco and Judge. I grabbed Gonzalez and Wood before they flew off the boards. Then thought Ozuna and McCutchen not bad in OF either.

Of course, you never end up with team you draft. As season goes, I'll be watching who gets hot. Each season brings surprise stars and the trick is getting them before they get got.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2018, 06:54 PM)kevin Wrote: Thanks Go Cards.  Just ended my first draft.  Team Name.  The Bat Holes.  

I drafted 8th, but still got Carrasco as Ace Pitcher and then Aaron Judge for outfield power bat.

Pitchers Carrasco, Gio Gonzalez, Wood, Arrieta, Lynn, Davies.

Starters Grandal-C, Zimmerman-1st, Cano-2nd, Andrus-SS, Lamb-3rd, Judge-OF, Ozuna-OF, McCutchen-OF, Encarnacion-DH/1st

Bench Gardner-OF, Lowrie-2nd, Anderson-ss, Castellanos-3rd

I didn't know I needed 2 relief pitchers in this league.  At end I got AJ Ramos and Lecterc who I have already put in waiver trades on them to try to get F/A  Viscaino and Familia, which would help my late draft discovery I needed 2 relievers and I couldn't find who I wanted in short draft time.

Drafting near last, I'm happy getting Carrasco and Judge.  I grabbed Gonzalez and Wood before they flew off the boards.  Then thought Ozuna and McCutchen not bad in OF either.

Of course, you never end up with team you draft.  As season goes, I'll be watching who gets hot.  Each season brings surprise stars and the trick is getting them before they get got.

Sounds like your plan worked as you devised.

Actually like drafting towards bottom because always feel there are about 12-15 no brainers out there and want 2 of them. 

Good luck and have fun

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote