Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farm raised dog food..?
So today the Mrs. sent me to go buy some special brand of dog food, not that our dog could possibly know the difference, but on the bag, in big, bold letters it said FARM RAISED BEEF! As opposed to what exactly? Beef raised in isle 4 at Home Depot? Dead cows found on the side of the road after a tornado? Herds of bovine raised in Manhattan skyscrapers in the accounting department ? 
Of course it's farm raised..They really don't need to inform us cows are raised on farms do they?
Perhaps little nuggets of dog food grows on trees and we just never realized it..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2017, 04:32 PM)grampahol Wrote: So today the Mrs. sent me to go buy some special brand of dog food, not that our dog could possibly know the difference, but on the bag, in big, bold letters it said FARM RAISED BEEF! As opposed to what exactly? Beef raised in isle 4 at Home Depot? Dead cows found on the side of the road after a tornado? Herds of bovine raised in Manhattan skyscrapers in the accounting department ? 
Of course it's farm raised..They really don't need to inform us cows are raised on farms do they?
Perhaps little nuggets of dog food grows on trees and we just never realized it..

Bet that fancy farm beef cost you 2x as much as my beef from a machine dog food
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2017, 04:49 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Bet that fancy farm beef cost you 2x as much as my beef from a machine dog food
Not really..the Mrs is sold on the brand name.. It's not that expensive..
I, on the other hand think Sunshine dog food is just fine.. I've had plenty of dogs over the years that didn't just roll over and die eating it. 
I'm just amused that they would bother telling us that they raise cows on farms.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2017, 04:32 PM)grampahol Wrote: So today the Mrs. sent me to go buy some special brand of dog food, not that our dog could possibly know the difference, but on the bag, in big, bold letters it said FARM RAISED BEEF! As opposed to what exactly? Beef raised in isle 4 at Home Depot? Dead cows found on the side of the road after a tornado? Herds of bovine raised in Manhattan skyscrapers in the accounting department ? 

[Image: Adsoft_direct_local_marketing_automation...f.XXX_.jpg]

Reply/Quote

Yup. Pretty much all cows are raised on farms. Most of them on what are known as feed lots.

And I agree, my dog sometimes eats grass, rocks or his own poop. Hence, I don't think his palate is all that discerning (maybe I'm wrong, but I don't care to find out).

And dogs are smart too. My dog eats his own poop, then tries to lick me afterwards just to laugh at my reaction. Dam smartass!!
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2017, 04:54 PM)grampahol Wrote: Not really..the Mrs is sold on the brand name.. It's not that expensive..
I, on the other hand think Sunshine dog food is just fine.. I've had plenty of dogs over the years that didn't just roll over and die eating it. 
I'm just amused that they would bother telling us that they raise cows on farms.. 

It's not like dogs live 90 years anyway (rest their souls). I'm thinking the organic vegan diet isn't gonna help them live all that much longer. In the meantime, they miss out on the foods they really like.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2017, 06:05 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Yup. Pretty much all cows are raised on farms. Most of them on what are known as feed lots.

And I agree, my dog sometimes eats grass, rocks or his own poop. Hence, I don't think his palate is all that discerning (maybe I'm wrong, but I don't care to find out).

And dogs are smart too. My dog eats his own poop, then tries to lick me afterwards just to laugh at my reaction. Dam smartass!!

lol yeah....  Dog you got cat litter on your nose there is no way your licking my face 

ive had those moments...

Or you just got done licking your Butt there is no way I'm getting close to your face moments...

at least they clean up their own barf unlike most drunks I know.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2017, 06:41 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: lol yeah....  Dog you got cat litter on your nose there is no way your licking my face 

ive had those moments...

Or you just got done licking your Butt there is no way I'm getting close to your face moments...

at least they clean up their own barf unlike most drunks I know.

We have tile floors. My dog likes to do the "butt wipe skid" across them. Whatever
Reply/Quote
I skipped the OP and responses.

Prior comments are not important here, only that everyone is aware of my stance.

I will not eat a dog, regardless of how it was raised, and I suggest others do the same!
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2017, 08:24 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I skipped the OP and responses.

Prior comments are not important here, only that everyone is aware of my stance.

I will not eat a dog, regardless of how it was raised, and I suggest others do the same!

God bless you, you brave bastard  Rock On

My apologies for derailing the thread, but on a pet-related note:  We recently adopted a cat.  She's two and in good health.  The wife took her to the vet to get her checked out and caught up on her shots. I was at home for the vet appointment when the phone rang.  It was the wife, at the vet's office.  She asked me to find the cats food and read the label.  When she got home she explained that the vet had cautioned her about cats getting too much protein in their diet, and the health ramifications (such as kidney failure).  I had never heard this before, but the vet swears that her profession knows, as do the pet food companies, but nothing is being done.  Has anyone else heard this?
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2017, 11:07 PM)WAwful Llama Wrote: God bless you, you brave bastard  Rock On

My apologies for derailing the thread, but on a pet-related note:  We recently adopted a cat.  She's two and in good health.  The wife took her to the vet to get her checked out and caught up on her shots. I was at home for the vet appointment when the phone rang.  It was the wife, at the vet's office.  She asked me to find the cats food and read the label.  When she got home she explained that the vet had cautioned her about cats getting too much protein in their diet, and the health ramifications (such as kidney failure).  I had never heard this before, but the vet swears that her profession knows, as do the pet food companies, but nothing is being done.  Has anyone else heard this?

Yes.  At age 17 my little buddy went for his annual checkup and the blood test revealed he was in the early stages of kidney failure.  We were told about the issues with protein and regular foods, and he was put on a prescription diet that was specifically geared toward promoting and prolonging the healthy kidney function. We were told to not give him anything else.  He really didn't like it, and so didn't eat as much.  We ultimately went against the vets advice by giving him Fancy Feast wet food and the occasional treat of diced up meat from our own dinner to supplement the prescription kibble and encourage him to eat and make him happy.  We confessed our actions to the vet, who blessed our actions from the standpoint that it was better for him to eat and be happy than not eat and emaciate and be unhappy.  He still was able to live a healthy, happy life until he passed this spring, shortly after his 20th birthday.  One of the issues from the kidney failure is he suffered substantial hearing loss as a result of it.  He was used to being left outside all day while we were at work, but after he turned 18 it got to the point that he could only go outside if we were home to be able to keep an eye out for dangers he couldn't hear, then eventually only outside if we were outside with him.  That, more than anything, was the hardest part as he LOVED being outdoors.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2017, 11:07 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: God bless you, you brave bastard  Rock On

Cat person here. As far as I understand, cats who diet consist mostly of dried (my two cats wont eat anything but!) food will occasionally get a build up of crystals in their bodies, which lead to painful urination, which leads to peeing outside the box. A simple solution is to buy a bag of kitten chow, which somehow helps flush the system and returns them to normal for a while.  
Reply/Quote
I feed my dog people. But only FARM RAISED PEOPLE. Because IMO, nothing is too good for the little hairy bastard, ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2017, 12:04 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: I feed my dog people. But only FARM RAISED PEOPLE. Because IMO, nothing is too good for the little hairy bastard,  ThumbsUp

Then why do you keep coating yourself in peanut butter around him?
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2017, 11:42 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: Yes.  At age 17 my little buddy went for his annual checkup and the blood test revealed he was in the early stages of kidney failure.  We were told about the issues with protein and regular foods, and he was put on a prescription diet that was specifically geared toward promoting and prolonging the healthy kidney function. We were told to not give him anything else.  He really didn't like it, and so didn't eat as much.  We ultimately went against the vets advice by giving him Fancy Feast wet food and the occasional treat of diced up meat from our own dinner to supplement the prescription kibble and encourage him to eat and make him happy.  We confessed our actions to the vet, who blessed our actions from the standpoint that it was better for him to eat and be happy than not eat and emaciate and be unhappy.  He still was able to live a healthy, happy life until he passed this spring, shortly after his 20th birthday.  One of the issues from the kidney failure is he suffered substantial hearing loss as a result of it.  He was used to being left outside all day while we were at work, but after he turned 18 it got to the point that he could only go outside if we were home to be able to keep an eye out for dangers he couldn't hear, then eventually only outside if we were outside with him.  That, more than anything, was the hardest part as he LOVED being outdoors.

(12-17-2017, 11:51 AM)Westwood Bengal Wrote: Cat person here. As far as I understand, cats who diet consist mostly of dried (my two cats wont eat anything but!) food will occasionally get a build up of crystals in their bodies, which lead to painful urination, which leads to peeing outside the box. A simple solution is to buy a bag of kitten chow, which somehow helps flush the system and returns them to normal for a while.  

Thanks for the info, guys.  Much appreciated.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2017, 01:09 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Then why do you keep coating yourself in peanut butter around him?

A man has to have "certain enthusiasms".

BTW - I think Capone's approach might be what the Bengals need for a new head coach.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2017, 01:48 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: A man has to have "certain enthusiasms".

BTW - I think Capone's approach might be what the Bengals need for a new head coach.

But if he kills all the players, there's no one left to take the field!
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2017, 02:00 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: But if he kills all the players, there's no one left to take the field!
 Ah. But that's the ting: You kill one and the rest get the message. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2017, 04:18 PM)Bengalzona Wrote:  Ah. But that's the ting: You kill one and the rest get the message. ThumbsUp

Shouldn't the player's wife get the message?  She's the one who really needs to know her husband was killed!
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2017, 04:21 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Shouldn't the player's wife get the message?  She's the one who really needs to know her husband was killed!

You do bring up a good point. If we kill the wife instead of the player, then the player can 'get the message' and we don't have to sacrifice him. Hey, you're really getting the hang of this!
Reply/Quote