Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Father arrested after ordering son, 4, to shoot at officers in McDonald's drive-thru
Ya know, I'm starting to think we have a gun problem in this country.  Probably need more evidence.  Mellow

Fortunately no one was seriously injured.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/father-arrested-ordering-son-4-shoot-officers-mcdonalds-drive-thru-pol-rcna17130

Quote:A man was arrested Monday after ordering his 4-year-old son to shoot at Utah police officers in a McDonald's drive-thru during an incident that began over an incorrect order, police said.

The Unified Police Department of Greater Salt Lake said in a statement that officers were called to a McDonald's in Midvale, a city in Salt Lake County, at around 1:30 p.m. following a report of a man brandishing a firearm at employees after receiving a wrong order.

Police said employees asked the man to pull over to the front of the store while they corrected the order.
During this time, they also put in a call to police.

When officers arrived on the scene, they issued several verbal commands ordering the man to exit the vehicle, but he did not cooperate, police said.

Officers then opened the vehicle's door and pulled the man from the car, they said.

While taking the father into custody, an officer turned back toward the vehicle and saw a gun pointing out from the rear window, the department said. After alerting other law enforcement, the officer swiped the gun to the side as a round was fired from the weapon.

According to police, the weapon was fired by a 4-year-old child sitting in the back seat of the car with a 3-year-old sibling.

During the course of the investigation, police said they learned that the father had instructed the child to fire at police. They said the man was still in custody as of Monday.
Recommended

The officer received a minor injury to his arm, but no other injuries were reported.

In a statement on Monday, Salt Lake County Sheriff Rosie Rivera said it was a "sad day for law enforcement and our community."

"To have an adult think it is okay to encourage a four-year-old to pull a firearm and shoot at police illustrates how out of hand the campaign against police has gotten," the sheriff said.

"This needs to stop and we need to come together as a community to find solutions to the challenges we face in our neighborhoods," Rivera continued. "Officers are here to protect and serve and we are beyond belief that something like could happen.”

Police said an investigation into the incident was still underway.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
I assume it's just PR for the sheriff to act like it's inconceivable for a toddler to have access and discharge a poorly supervised firearm.

Toddlers shoot people all the time, it's the argument that comes as a response that is up for debate.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
This looks to me more like a parenting/human being problem than a gun problem.

But with the way you link stories, add a snarky/irrelevant comment, then run away....you'd probably never know.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 12:50 PM)basballguy Wrote: This looks to me more like a parenting/human being problem than a gun problem.

But with the way you link stories, add a snarky/irrelevant comment, then run away....you'd probably never know.

My take is that the bar for what people consider to be legally and morally justified to shoot people is getting quite low.  Or maybe it's just a case of more reporting.  My ol man always used knowing someone who got shot over a parking space in the late 60s as his watermark example of senseless violence.  
Reply/Quote
How do they find people to work at these fast food places? There seems to be an assault/shooting every week
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 12:32 PM)GMDino Wrote: Ya know, I'm starting to think we have a gun problem in this country.  Probably need more evidence.  Mellow

Fortunately no one was seriously injured.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/father-arrested-ordering-son-4-shoot-officers-mcdonalds-drive-thru-pol-rcna17130

its not a gun problem its a idiot problem we have a large number of idiots in this country (And around the world)

The gun itself didnt do a damn thing
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 12:50 PM)basballguy Wrote: This looks to me more like a parenting/human being problem than a gun problem.

That's exactly what it is. Could a person even find a better example.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 01:24 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: its not a gun problem its a idiot problem we have a large number of idiots in this country (And around the world)

The gun itself didnt do a damn thing

True, that's why it's more bitterly amusing when toddlers open fire on their irresponsible parents.  This was a toddler attempting to shoot the police though.  It sucks when people who don't inadvertently arm their children have to stare down the barrel.  

Agreed.  Unfortunately, we tend to love defunding mental health, educational, and family-oriented programs while extolling the awesomeness, if not urgent need, of owning guns...sticky wicket, this. Still, it's a golden age for us bitter cynics.
Reply/Quote
There are two different arguments being made here; either the father instructed the four year old to shoot at officers, which makes it the father's fault, or the four year old got ahold of the father's gun and discharged it, which makes it the father's fault. In neither scenario is the gun the problem. This is why gun owners, a rapidly expanding demographic btw, are deaf to appeals for more gun control.

The modern left has abdicated the idea of personal responsibility. You committed a crime, it's because you're disadvantaged. You failed a test because you were out protesting instead of being at school, fire the teacher who gave you the F. You shoplifted thousands of dollars in food, including king crab legs, it's because you're trying to feed your children. Took out a loan for college and now don't want to pay it back because it's too expensive, we should forgive the loan.

Freedom, any freedom, requires personal responsibility. Any freedom can be abused, and those who prove irresponsible in their use should face the possibility of losing that freedom. But removing my freedoms because some other asshat can't handle theirs is a garbage nanny state way of thinking about things. OP is right in one way, there is a gun problem in this story, it's the person who owns one who should now lose the right to own one any longer. But this idiot has no bearing on me or my rights. At least it shouldn't in a free society were adults are expected to conduct themselves like, wait for it... adults.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 05:24 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: There are two different arguments being made here; either the father instructed the four year old to shoot at officers, which makes it the father's fault, or the four year old got ahold of the father's gun and discharged it, which makes it the father's fault.  In neither scenario is the gun the problem.  This is why gun owners, a rapidly expanding demographic btw, are deaf to appeals for more gun control.

The modern left has abdicated the idea of personal responsibility.  You committed a crime, it's because you're disadvantaged.  You failed a test because you were out protesting instead of being at school, fire the teacher who gave you the F.  You shoplifted thousands of dollars in food, including king crab legs, it's because you're trying to feed your children.  Took out a loan for college and now don't want to pay it back because it's too expensive, we should forgive the loan.

Freedom, any freedom, requires personal responsibility.  Any freedom can be abused, and those who prove irresponsible in their use should face the possibility of losing that freedom.  But removing my freedoms because some other asshat can't handle theirs is a garbage nanny state way of thinking about things.  OP is right in one way, there is a gun problem in this story, it's the person who owns one who should now lose the right to own one any longer.  But this idiot has no bearing on me or my rights.  At least it shouldn't in a free society were adults are expected to conduct themselves like, wait for it... adults.

wait are you saying people should be responsible for their Actions....

What a noble concept.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 01:02 PM)Nately120 Wrote: My take is that the bar for what people consider to be legally and morally justified to shoot people is getting quite low.  Or maybe it's just a case of more reporting.  My ol man always used knowing someone who got shot over a parking space in the late 60s as his watermark example of senseless violence.  

Actually, no.  When one looks at the raw numbers it tells a very different story.  As we all know, from ~1992 to ~2019 the crime rate, with very few exceptions, fell across the board.  Simultaneously, the amount of firearms in private hands exploded.  Now, it's an overly simplistic correlation, but if guns were the problem then we would have seen the exact opposite effect on the crime rate.  The crime rate in the 70's and sixties was much higher than even the present day regression. 

It wasn't until "defund the police" and the left's near constant demonization of law enforcement, coupled with "progressive" DA's and the viewing of criminals as the victims of an inherently racist criminal justice system that we saw reversals in this trend.  Now, rather than admit the utter stupidity of their positions they are using the rising crime rate to target gun owners, a long cherished past time of the exact same people.  Rather than blame the permissive/soft on crime atmosphere that they willingly created, they blame guns.  You almost have to admire their balls, not only do they get to bury their head in the sand on the dumpster fire they created they can use it to further demonize a favorite target. 
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 05:29 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: wait are you saying people should be responsible for their Actions....

What a noble concept.

I don't think anyone here is saying we should let the guy off the hook.   I don't blame guns, but I do admit that they make toddlers more able to kill adults. 
Reply/Quote
Crazy that the crazy people, bad parents, irresponsible people keep having guns.  But we don't have a gun problem.  Yep.  Crazy.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 06:16 PM)GMDino Wrote: Crazy that the crazy people, bad parents, irresponsible people keep having guns.  But we don't have a gun problem.  Yep.  Crazy.

Indeed, it is crazy that the extreme left doesn't understand how Constitutional rights work.  AOC doesn't understand why Tucker Carslon is allowed to broadcast his show and GM and others don't understand why we're allowed to own guns, despite the fact that some people will abuse that right.  If only the government could protect us from everything by putting us in an artificial womb where we can while away our days in complete safety without the bother of free will or adult responsibility.  Please government, tell me what to do and think, this freedom thing is scary!
Reply/Quote
One thing to keep in mind is that when I say a "gun problem" I do not mean people shouldn't have guns.  I mean we have created and encourage a culture of guns being the answer to too many problems.

We have LOTS of problems in this country and that's just one of them.

I'm gonna guess this guy wasn't the best parent in the world.  But are we going to say every person who misuses their weapons is a bad person?  When do we look at how guns are loved within segments of society more than life?

We have a gun problem.
Reply/Quote