Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Father's Day: Remembering Paul Brown
Happy father's day to all the Bengals players and staff and of course member of this forum.

Paul Brown the father of the Bengals and Browns should be remembered this day

It was PB to first use a draw-play. He was first coach in NFL to use film to scout opponents.

PB was first to introduce diversity to NFL by playing African American player. He also invented modern face-mask. I think he also developed playbooks for players and would test the players on how well they studied. PB was a pro's pro. Many fans and media members give Bengals grief but PB made the NFL what it is today!

Happy Father's day!
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Happy fathers day dad!
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2016, 04:54 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Happy father's day to all the Bengals players and staff and of course member of this forum.

Paul Brown the father of the Bengals and Browns should be remembered this day

It was PB to first use a draw-play.  He was first coach in NFL to use film to scout opponents.

PB was first to introduce diversity to NFL by playing African American player.  He also invented modern face-mask.  I think he also developed playbooks for players and would test the players on how well they studied.  PB was a pro's pro.  Many fans and media members give Bengals grief but PB made the NFL what it is today!

Happy Father's day!

Great post.

Rep!
Reply/Quote
Paul Brown was the first to have a "Practice Squad" which he called the "Taxi Squad" since he got players jobs driving a taxi to keep them around just in case a player on the team got hurt.

Like you posted about the first African American in football but I do believe it was the first African Americans in professional sports, but I'm not clear on that.

He held his players and coaches to a higher standard than the rest of the world. If you screwed up, you were out. I believe if the Cincinnati Bengals were owned by any other owner, Stanley Wilson would have played in the Super Bowl and the Bengals win that game plus, the rest of the world wouldn't have know the truth about Wilson except for rumors. Although I'm sure the truth would be out by now.
Reply/Quote
QB Dewey Warren (who I think completed the first pass in bengal history) was from Tennessee. He used to have a talk radio show down here. A couple of Paul Brow stories he told. . .

When PB started the Bengals he was over 60nyears old yet he would still do calisthenics with the team.

PB would have short practices and then tell the players "Anyone who still needs to work on anything is free to stay on the field." All the players would stay on the field and continue to practice. I really liked this move. It made the players realize that they were responsible for their own development and getting better.
Reply/Quote
I spent the day with my 87 year old dad. He's still a Browns fan after all these years, but I forgive him..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-20-2016, 09:50 AM)grampahol Wrote: I spent the day with my 87 year old dad. He's still a Browns fan after all these years, but I forgive him..

At least he still is alive.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Didn't know some of this about Paul. Thanks for this thread Psych. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2016, 09:50 AM)grampahol Wrote: I spent the day with my 87 year old dad. He's still a Browns fan after all these years, but I forgive him..

Yeah, love means sometimes overlooking a lot  ThumbsUp
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2016, 08:37 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Yeah, love means sometimes overlooking a lot  ThumbsUp

Good thing he's not a steelers fan.. I'd have to run away from home.. My dad lives with us instead of the other way around..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-21-2016, 10:46 AM)grampahol Wrote: Good thing he's not a steelers fan.. I'd have to run away from home.. My dad lives with us instead of the other way around..

So long as he's not pushed outside in the snow to watch his team, you're fine.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2016, 11:49 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Paul Brown was the first to have a "Practice Squad" which he called the "Taxi Squad" since he got players jobs driving a taxi to keep them around just in case a player on the team got hurt.

Like you posted about the first African American in football but I do believe it was the first African Americans in professional sports, but I'm not clear on that.

He held his players and coaches to a higher standard than the rest of the world. If you screwed up, you were out. I believe if the Cincinnati Bengals were owned by any other owner, Stanley Wilson would have played in the Super Bowl and the Bengals win that game plus, the rest of the world wouldn't have know the truth about Wilson except for rumors. Although I'm sure the truth would be out by now.
Stanley Wilson was stoned on the floor of his hotel bathroom the morning of the game.  There wasn't enough black coffee in the world to get him ready to play by kickoff.
Reply/Quote