Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite BBQ Sauce
Go! 

I love Sweet Baby Ray's sauce. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-11-2017, 12:49 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Go! 

I love Sweet Baby Ray's sauce. 

that's what we use as well
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2017, 12:55 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: that's what we use as well

Have you ever used Stubb's? 
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
I won't use anything with High Fructose Corn Syrup, so commercial BBQ sauce choices are really limited. I have made my own in really small batches and it is really simple and gives you some variety, which is also fun. But Heinz recently came out with an all natural line and while I've only tried one I like it. The one I tried is Sweet and Thick but they have several others.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2017, 01:26 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Have you ever used Stubb's? 

Judging from the price y'all must eat on sterling silver using platinum utensils!
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
1. Gates Extra Spicy
2. Pappy' moonshine madness
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2017, 02:33 PM)xxlt Wrote: I won't use anything with High Fructose Corn Syrup, so commercial BBQ sauce choices are really limited. I have made my own in really small batches and it is really simple and gives you some variety, which is also fun. But Heinz recently came out with an all natural line and while I've only tried one I like it. The one I tried is Sweet and Thick but they have several others.

I try to avoid HFCS as well...  But its hard to find somethings.  I figured Hunts would have had a line over Heinz

But I'm not suppose to use BBQ sauce anymore.

Cause What really sucks is when your doctor tells you to avoid all tomato based products...
(Then you realize that's most BBQ Sauce... and the BBQ sauce without tomatos doesn't look like anything you want to see on a plate of food your gonna eat.)

Far as stubbs go id never spend that much on BBQ sauce even if I could eat as much as I want.
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2017, 02:33 PM)xxlt Wrote: I won't use anything with High Fructose Corn Syrup, so commercial BBQ sauce choices are really limited. I have made my own in really small batches and it is really simple and gives you some variety, which is also fun. But Heinz recently came out with an all natural line and while I've only tried one I like it. The one I tried is Sweet and Thick but they have several others.

(07-11-2017, 02:34 PM)xxlt Wrote: Judging from the price y'all must eat on sterling silver using platinum utensils!

Ya, the HFCS is what I'd like to avoid if I can.  but that's pretty much non existent.    I'd like to learn how to make my own if I can.  Do you have any good quick and easy recipes you'd like to share?  My brother in law recently made some last year, and that was the best bbq sauce I've ever had.  but he doesn't remember what he did to make it anymore.  I think he was sippin' the Templeton Rye pretty hard that night he sat down and made it.

See......is Stubbs that much more expensive?  I've only bought one bottle, and that was probably 10 years ago by now.  I just discovered Sweet Baby Rays and have stuck with them ever since.  I don't remember it being so outlandishly high. 

Reply/Quote
(07-11-2017, 03:13 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Ya, the HFCS is what I'd like to avoid if I can.  but that's pretty much non existent.    I'd like to learn how to make my own if I can.  Do you have any good quick and easy recipes you'd like to share?  My brother in law recently made some last year, and that was the best bbq sauce I've ever had.  but he doesn't remember what he did to make it anymore.  I think he was sippin' the Templeton Rye pretty hard that night he sat down and made it.

See......is Stubbs that much more expensive?  I've only bought one bottle, and that was probably 10 years ago by now.  I just discovered Sweet Baby Rays and have stuck with them ever since.  I don't remember it being so outlandishly high. 

The prices I saw in a quick web image search where Stubb's showed up were sky high (you can look and see if there are cheaper places to get it but it looked at least 10x more than anything else). Making it myself I just fooled around: Get some catsup or tomato paste, some vinegar, some mustard, some brown sugar, throw some of each in a bowl and mix and when it looks and tastes like BBQ sauce you're done, lol. So, no recipe but I am sure cook books and the web abound with them.

The Heinz stuff surprised me - I thought French's was the only one doing no HFCS (I had not bought catsup or mustard for years until I saw their line with no HFCS!) - and it isn't bad. They have a sampler pack apparently available at Target
https://www.google.com/search?q=Heinz+BBQ+sauce&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjlwtqL8IHVAhUFJCYKHcxkA0wQ_AUICygC&biw=1152&bih=575

Y'all in the Cincy area there is a place out on 3L Highway in Kenton County (Covington/Ft. Wright at bottom of Kyles Lane) called Walt's Hitching Post. They used to sell the sauce they made there in quart jars and it was pretty good. I also like Montgomery Inn sauce - not saying it is the be all end all, but if you hate theirs then we probably have a different palate.
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2017, 03:03 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I try to avoid HFCS as well...  But its hard to find somethings.  I figured Hunts would have had a line over Heinz

But I'm not suppose to use BBQ sauce anymore.

Cause What really sucks is when your doctor tells you to avoid all tomato based products...
(Then you realize that's most BBQ Sauce... and the BBQ sauce without tomatos doesn't look like anything you want to see on a plate of food your gonna eat.)

Far as stubbs go id never spend that much on BBQ sauce even if I could eat as much as I want.

Wow, that is an unusual diet restriction from my experience, but maybe it is common...

Don't want to pry but curious about the condition that prompted that and if there were other ways to resolve it...
Reply/Quote
K.C. Masterpiece
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2017, 03:42 PM)xxlt Wrote: The prices I saw in a quick web image search where Stubb's showed up

Y'all in the Cincy area there is a place out on 3L Highway in Kenton County (Covington/Ft. Wright at bottom of Kyles Lane) called Walt's Hitching Post. They used to sell the sauce they made there in quart jars and it was pretty good.

Damn I miss that place.
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2017, 04:17 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Damn I miss that place.

Years ago (when I still lived up there) after Mr. Melton (original proprietor) died it closed for a bit, then reopened. Has is permanently closed now or do you not live in the area any more either?
Reply/Quote
Montgomery Inn BBQ sauce is GOAT.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2017, 04:23 PM)xxlt Wrote: Years ago (when I still lived up there) after Mr. Melton (original proprietor) died it closed for a bit, then reopened. Has is permanently closed now or do you not live in the area any more either?

Don't live in the area any longer either. I have a set 5 - 6 places I have to eat every time I'm in town. It never made that list, but might next time I'm there.

Fairly certain it is still in business though.
Reply/Quote
Sweet Baby Rays is legit.

Johnny B's Sweet Sauce is killer too.

I also like a little John Boy & Billy's Grillin' Sauce from time to time as well.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(07-11-2017, 03:43 PM)xxlt Wrote: Wow, that is an unusual diet restriction from my experience, but maybe it is common...

Don't want to pry but curious about the condition that prompted that and if there were other ways to resolve it...

No its nothing that personal... Lol.  

I was having chest pains and got them checkout...  Everything normal so I went to a family doctor who believes the sphincter muscle at the bottom of the esophagus was weakening causing massive heartburn..   

a way to try and heal that was to Greatly reduce or eliminate the following things from my diet (I may have forgotten a few)
Caffeine
Nicotine
chocolate
Tomato based products (high acid)
mints
Alcohol

there was more but I forget the rest.   ^^^ I could not follow that diet very well hahahaha I tried though. (that is basically my diet lol)

Reply/Quote
(07-11-2017, 06:07 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: No its nothing that personal... Lol.  

I was having chest pains and got them checkout...  Everything normal so I went to a family doctor who believes the sphincter muscle at the bottom of the esophagus was weakening causing massive heartburn..   

a way to try and heal that was to Greatly reduce or eliminate the following things from my diet (I may have forgotten a few)
Caffeine
Nicotine
chocolate
mints
Alcohol

there was more but I forget the rest.   ^^^ I could not follow that diet very well hahahaha I tried though.

If I had to follow a diet like that, I would have had to live off a college diet, Alchohol and THC.  LOL!!!!

Reply/Quote
(07-11-2017, 04:58 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Don't live in the area any longer either.   I have a set 5 - 6 places I have to eat every time I'm in town.  It never made that list, but might next time I'm there.

Fairly certain it is still in business though.

Well, all kidding aside, don't bump the Anchor Grill from your list. And it better be on your list.

That would be a good thread topic - must eat places when returning or must take first time guest places in the Greater Cincy area (of course, KY is the greater part).
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2017, 06:07 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: No its nothing that personal... Lol.  

Caffeine
Nicotine
chocolate
mints
Alcohol

there was more but I forget the rest.   ^^^ I could not follow that diet very well hahahaha I tried though.  (that is basically my diet lol)

I thought it might be the old acid reflux thing. Not a doctor, don't play one on t.v., but I've found all the over the counter crap causes more problems than it solves so I try to avoid them all except Pepto and any more I rarely have to use it. What I found helped scads was just getting a healthier gut, which I achieved through trying to avoid most processed foods and eating yogurt. My guts used to be a mess but now I can eat almost any spicy stuff I want and all kinds of acidic stuff and rarely have an issue. If you haven't tried daily yogurt give it a whirl. It can't hurt and after a month or so you might find your belly more resilient.

And I'm gonna pat myself on the back for avoiding the clear opening for a loose sphincter joke, cause heartburn ain't no joke.
Reply/Quote