Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Favorite and/or most influential guitarists (for you as a player or in general)
Didn't want to muddy up the SRV thread so i figured i'd start a new one. Basically, list 3 to 5 of your favorite guitar players, whether you just like to listen to them or they've been an influence on your playing.

While i've always been a huge SRV fan and a Hendrix fan, my first real "guitar hero" was actually Ace Frehley. Not really so much his playing but more the total package--larger than life to a 10-12 yr old kid, the smoke and pyrotechnics and the costume. Next came the release of Van Halen's debut album and i was an instant fan of EVH. Though, like Frehley, it wasn't really his playing that hooked me. Certainly a much more talented player than ACE, i just never tried to style my playing after him very much.

Which brings us to my personal list...

Being a 15 yr old young man in 1981 and knowing i wanted play guitar since i was 8 years old (even though my parents got me a drum kit and my best friend  got a guitar) my music was hair metal. Specifically Ratt and Dokken. Motley Crue can go suck it. Anyway...

Before we get to those guys, i want to start off with my #1, far and away, influence as far as how i like to play and what appeals to me. Keep in mind, i'd been playing off and on for about 10 years before i heard him...and when i heard him for the first time, i was blown away.

Dimebag Darrell

Don't worry about the list, for those of you who are Dimebag fans. Yes, it's a travesty that Floods isn't #1 and Hard Lines, Sunken Cheeks is way too low on the list... I could listen to this guy all day long.

Continued...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Since i can only have 1 video per post... Shocked

That brings me back to the '80s and my very first real influence on the guitar. A guy i tried to, badly, emulate and i still incorporate his style in my play whenever i can.
George Lynch

Continued...

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
And last but not least (considering he used to be my #2 before Dimebag)
Warren DiMartini

Always loved this guys solos and unique style. To me he always stood out in the Hair Metal genre.

There's my top 3 and to round out a "top 6" i'll add in;
#4 SRV
#5 Hendrix
#6 John Petrucci (Prog Rock virtuoso) love listening to anything he does but he does too much 7 string stuff for me to really do more than noodle around with Dream Theater songs.

Ok. Your turn.

Reply/Quote
I'm not a musician, so I just go by what I like to listen to:

1) Jimmy Page
2) Jimi Hendrix
3) Randy Rhoads
4) Jack White
5) Tony Rombola
Reply/Quote
Sometimes we try to be too sexy.

The best ever: Jimi Hendrix

The best of my generation: Eddie Van Halen
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
1. Stevie Ray Vaughan, no doubt in my mind this guy was the best.
2. Jimmy Page, Led Zepplin wouldn't be Led Zepplin without him.
3. George Benson, I don't know what it is about him but I love his music. All there is to say is "Breezin'".
4. Jimi Hendrix, what can I say, I love me those bluesy guitarists.
5. Prince, while he really never cuts loose on albums, in concert the guy is AWSOME!

The last 4 can be in any order but clearly, SRV is number 1.

EDIT: Whoa, all 60's and 70's and yes, Prince started out in the 70's all be it late. "For You" came out in 1978.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
Tough to narrow them to 5.

Gary Moore
George Lynch
Viv Campbell
Neal Schon
EVH

Most underrated rock guitarist is Rik Emmett.  That guy smoked on guitar and sang like it was nothing.

Andy Timmons is my favorite current artist.  Doug Aldrich, Criss Oliva, and John Sykes are bad-ass honorable mentions.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2015, 09:12 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Since i can only have 1 video per post... Shocked

That brings me back to the '80s and my very first real influence on the guitar. A guy i tried to, badly, emulate and i still incorporate his style in my play whenever i can.
George Lynch

Continued...

Yeah I use some of his licks in my style too.  Nothing like jammin' out to "Tooth and Nail" and "Street Fightin' Man" Rock On
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Not in any particular order: Buzz Feiten, Joe Bonamassa, Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Joe Satriani
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
Just going by what I listen to:

Angus Young
Eddie Van Halen
Slash
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Carlos Santana isn't bad either.
Reply/Quote
J Mascus
Prince
Tom Morello
Dave Mustaine
John Fruciante

Everybody that was posted before this is great too.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2015, 11:13 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Tough to narrow them to 5.

Gary Moore
George Lynch
Viv Campbell
Neal Schon
EVH

Most underrated rock guitarist is Rik Emmett.  That guy smoked on guitar and sang like it was nothing.

Andy Timmons is my favorite current artist.  Doug Aldrich, Criss Oliva, and John Sykes are bad-ass honorable mentions.

Good choice!  Rik Emmet from Triumph was/is badass!!!!!
Reply/Quote
1. Jimmy Page
2. Ritchie Blackmore
3. Randy Rhoads
4. Dimeslime
5. Stevie Ray
6. Satch

Reply/Quote
Mike McCready- Pearl Jam's lead guitarist

Buddy Guy- Blues

Les Claypool- Lead guitarist, plays base

Nels Cline- Wilco's lead guitarist
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
I have a question for players. How do I know if someone is actually good or if it just sounds good, but any pro could play it? Like I love the openings of "For Those About to Rock", and "Hells Bells", but I have no idea if it's actually a lot of talent involved. How hard is it to copy Jimmy Paige or Eddie Van Halen?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
1. Buddy ****ing Guy

2. Duane Allman

3. David Gilmour

4. SRV

5.Jimmy Page/Jerry Garcia

.....got give a shout to finger picking extraordinaire, Jerry Reed, Johnny Hiland from Hank III's "The Damn Band", and a nod to the impeccable Junior Brown from the *real* country music scene.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(07-07-2015, 01:26 AM)Wyche Wrote: 3. David Gilmour

How did I forget about this guy?
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2015, 10:02 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: How did I forget about this guy?

His brilliance is often understated.....same with Garcia.  You don't really hear any sizzling solos from Jerry, but if you pick up on all of the subtle nuances throughout a Dead song, you'll get a different picture--especially live performances.

Both players are part of an overall visceral sonic production....Floyd being cutting edge for its time, and the Dead being a collection of so many talented musicians, melodies, etc.  They often get overlooked because of the grand production of their bands, but they were both integral to each group.  Gilmour is a great blues infused soloist in my opinion, and Jerry could play ANYTHING with strings, and play it well.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
1. Muhammed Suicmez - it wouldn't be easy to find someone else capable of making shredding on guitar look so easy AND doing vocals simultaneously
2. Devin Townsend - musical genius, a great composer over many different styles
3. Anders Bjorler - basically pioneered the entire melodic death metal genre that so many bands have copied since the first At the Gates release
4. Karl Sanders/Dallas Toler-Wade - huge fan of their style, I'm way into Egyptian mythology, love death metal, and play guitar, so this one is the "fanboy" pick
5. Malmsteen/Vai/Satch/Petrucci/Lynch - I'm not the biggest fan of some of their music, but their talent is undeniable and they definitely brought shred guitar to the masses moreso than most others
Reply/Quote