Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Favorite and/or most influential guitarists (for you as a player or in general)
(08-17-2015, 11:41 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Sloppy, perhaps, but that's all part of his vibe.  I go back and forth on this, but I think SRV was a better player.  But the reason Jimi is almost always listed #1 is because he completely revolutionized the instrument.  Any rock player that came after him, they're all pretty much influenced by him.  So I think that's why he probably deserves the greatest tag.  Although as we all know, ranking guitar players is 100% subjective.
I saw a documentary on Hendrix where they were discussing his impact on music.

Many effects for guitar were developed based on his playing and ideas for sound shaping.

Basically he was a Guinea pig for music experimentation by musical instrument developers.

Whether they were direct ideas or not these were a part of musical history none the less.

I agree with Wes here.  I think Jimi's playing was psychodelic by design.

When  playing free and inhibited like he did...  then yes, it may seem sloppy at times but I think the word organic may be a better description.

Of course there's always the whole drug culture at the time.

I'm sure it probably made him hit a few sour ones every now and then. LMAO 
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Surprised no mention of Randy Rhoades thus far......

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 06:34 PM)Wyche Wrote: Surprised no mention of Randy Rhoades thus far......

I forgot all about him.  Should have put him on my list.  
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 06:38 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I forgot all about him.  Should have put him on my list.  

Me too......heard a little Over the Mountain by the Ozzman on the radio and thought about this thread....

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 06:34 PM)Wyche Wrote: Surprised no mention of Randy Rhoades thus far......

I mentioned him in my first post...
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2015, 12:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I mentioned him in my first post...

.....oh.......well, my apologies then my good man! Smirk

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2015, 01:05 PM)Wyche Wrote: .....oh.......well, my apologies then my good man! Smirk

No problem Wyche, Randy Rhoades is one of my faves of all time.

Love Mr. Crowley and countless others of his solos. Dude inspired tons of players.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2015, 01:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: No problem Wyche, Randy Rhoades is one of my faves of all time.

Love Mr. Crowley and countless others of his solos. Dude inspired tons of players.

....one of mine too.....I should've known better than to trust my failing memory....lol.

Reply/Quote
Lots of great guitar music posted on this thread. I've gone through all of them and learned loads of new stuff. Bravo, gentlemen.

I'm not nearly as sophisticated in my tastes, I suppose.

I like (not in any order)

Brian Setzer
Chuck Berry
Muddy Waters
Keith Richards (more with Ronnie than with Mick Taylor, though Mick is very technically proficient in his own way, he just lacks Ronnie's playfulness) Keith's got a new album coming out, and if you've never heard the Xpensive Winos, you haven't lived. Sorry.
Bruce Springsteen is very underrated, but he got Morello to join the E-Street Band to blow the top off some of those songs. Bruce is NOT stupid.
And I also love to listen to Willie Nelson do his thing on a guitar.
Glad to see Buddy Guy's name on here. And Clapton, of course.

Thanks for the treat. Took me about 2 hours to listen to everything on here. It was worth it. I'm gonna go grab my Telecoustic. (Gotta get its action fixed.)
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 03:51 AM)Shady Wrote: Lots of great guitar music posted on this thread. I've gone through all of them and learned loads of new stuff.  Bravo, gentlemen.

I'm not nearly as sophisticated in my tastes, I suppose.

I like (not in any order)

Brian Setzer
Chuck Berry
Muddy Waters
Keith Richards (more with Ronnie than with Mick Taylor, though Mick is very technically proficient in his own way, he just lacks Ronnie's playfulness) Keith's got a new album coming out, and if you've never heard the Xpensive Winos, you haven't lived. Sorry.
Bruce Springsteen is very underrated, but he got Morello to join the E-Street Band to blow the top off some of those songs. Bruce is NOT stupid.
And I also love to listen to Willie Nelson do his thing on a guitar.
Glad to see Buddy Guy's name on here. And Clapton, of course.

Thanks for the treat. Took me about 2 hours to listen to everything on here. It was worth it. I'm gonna go grab my Telecoustic. (Gotta get its action fixed.)
I love Willie Nelson.  For some reason his name never comes to mind when I try to think of great guitarists.  He is exactly that...  I like his playing even more because I'm pure garbage on a classical guitar.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 10:46 AM)jason Wrote: I love Willie Nelson.  For some reason his name never comes to mind when I try to think of great guitarists.  He is exactly that...  I like his playing even more because I'm pure garbage on a classical guitar.

Yeah, I heard a song on NPR one time of Willie's, they asked him to play one of his that he loved the
most but never was popular. Frickin amazing, dude is great on the accoustic and his has a big damn
hole in the back of it which just gives it even more character.

Character is one of my favorite aspects of being a great guitar player, being yourself.
Reply/Quote
Good thread.

Just a few guys that haven't been mentioned that may not be top of the guitar playing world but deserve some honorable mention

Steve Clark
Tom Scholz
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2015, 12:15 AM)jakefromstatefarm Wrote: Good thread.

Just a few guys that haven't been mentioned that may not be top of the guitar playing world but deserve some honorable mention

Steve Clark
Tom Scholz

Steve Clark from Def Leppard?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2015, 11:35 AM)jason Wrote: Steve Clark from Def Leppard?

Indeed.  He was good. 
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 09:10 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, I heard a song on NPR one time of Willie's, they asked him to play one of his that he loved the
most but never was popular. Frickin amazing, dude is great on the accoustic and his has a big damn
hole in the back of it which just gives it even more character.

Character is one of my favorite aspects of being a great guitar player, being yourself.

Hole is in the front around the pick guard (or where it should be) Wink

I've seen him live, very good still to this day.

Reply/Quote