Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Favorite and/or most influential guitarists (for you as a player or in general)
(07-15-2015, 11:57 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: There are plenty talented and yes even famous guitar players who claim others to be better than themselves.

Bonamassa is extremely talented but so is Eric Johnson(also a legend).  Neither or those guys do anything for me.

You're missing the whole point.  This is personal feelings.  Not who is a "beast"in the world of playing guitar.  I don't like his songs and I don't care for EJ's super-mellow guitar tones.

I really enjoy Paisley and his playful phrasing too.  I can relate more to Urban's usual playing style(which is hyrbrid rock.country)that is performed in the majority of his songs.

I could easily put Andy Timmons or Gary Moore up against Bonamassa/EJ and tell you why I like their style/tone/phrasing and writing better.

That would be strictly opinion and my taste though. 

How can you condescend about that?  You make me sound like a misinformed hack. LOL ThumbsUp
My apologies to you if you took it that way. I certainly didn't mean for you to feel as if I was being condescending towards you, that was not my intention. If you took offense to me stating, "that anyone that thinks that Paisley can only play country would be mislead", or "that every musician worth his salt knows that Bonamassa is a beast", then that's on you brother.
You just stated yourself that Bonamassa is "extremely talented". I quoted you because I thought that you made a good post and it helped to transition into my post.
Last but not least I stated, "I have yet to meet an uber talented GP that is willing to admit that another player is more talented". When I typed that I was actually chuckling to myself but it is completely true from the point from which I stated it , which is my point of view and experience. Some cats are very genuine and do give props to those they feel deserve it. Many players say positive things in the public eye but then say just the opposite when behind closed doors.
You seem quite knowledgeable to me and I already admitted as much when I repped you for the post I quoted you on.
Your opinion holds water with me.
As for Urban he rips but if you listen closely much of his riffs sound the same. The Hayes kid (who is obviously influenced by Urban) sounds and plays his leads just like him. 
You keep rocking man! You're opinion is informed and well respected in my book. As you yourself stated this thread is based upon each poster's opinion.
Reply/Quote
1st - Hendrix

then in no certain order
Slash
Eddie VH
Dimebag
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
My favorite guitarist is David Gilmour. Just love the way he plays.

I would probably argue that SRV is better, watched a vid of him playing Texas Flood live and i could
swear there was smoke coming off the guitar by the end of the song.

John Butler from The John Butler Trio is a guy i have watched recently that is highly underrated, great
picker. Grows out his finger nails. Ocean is a great song by him, check it out.

Some of my influences are Travis Meeks from Days of the New, Whitener from Days of the New and
Tantric, Todd Park Mohr from Big Head Todd, James Hetfield, Aaron Lewis and of course Clapton.

I am more of an accoustic guitarist so...

that is why i don't list as many speed guitarists, but i love guys like Randy Rhoads, EVH, Zakk Wylde,

Steve Vai (Bad Horsie), Bonamassa, Robert Cray, the dude from Triumph forget his name etc.

Could go on for a long time in this thread...
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2015, 05:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: My favorite guitarist is David Gilmour. Just love the way he plays.

I would probably argue that SRV is better, watched a vid of him playing Texas Flood live and i could
swear there was smoke coming off the guitar by the end of the song.

John Butler from The John Butler Trio is a guy i have watched recently that is highly underrated, great
picker. Grows out his finger nails. Ocean is a great song by him, check it out.

Some of my influences are Travis Meeks from Days of the New, Whitener from Days of the New and
Tantric, Todd Park Mohr from Big Head Todd, James Hetfield, Aaron Lewis and of course Clapton.

I am more of an accoustic guitarist so...

that is why i don't list as many speed guitarists, but i love guys like Randy Rhoads, EVH, Zakk Wylde,

Steve Vai (Bad Horsie), Bonamassa, Robert Cray, the dude from Triumph forget his name etc.

Could go on for a long time in this thread...

Not a common mention is John Fruciante....great guitarstist.
Reply/Quote
Jimi Hendrix...of course. If he would have lived, music would have went in a different direction.

Eric Clapton is a damned good guitarist too. He just has a great style to his playing.

Jeff Beck. I really don't see how there was only one mention of him in the entire thread. The dude could do it all.

Tom Morrello has been my favorite for quite a long time though. The guy is amazing.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Jimi Hendrix
John Frusciante
David Gilmour
Tom Morello
Larry Lalonde
Reply/Quote
Video 
I'm gonna' put in a name for those who like good old southern rock. Toy Caldwell from The Marshall Tucker Band. Did it all with no pick, and did it good. Watch it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlc6xCPx60U
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Duane Denison of The Jesus Lizard/Tomahawk. Textured, angular and well placed riffs. Broken glass sound. Does a lot just by virtue of restraint to drive the bands he's been in. Incredibly tight live. Best lesser-known player IMO.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 11:33 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I'm gonna' put in a name for those who like good old southern rock.  Toy Caldwell from The Marshall Tucker Band.  Did it all with no pick, and did it good.  Watch it all.

Absolutely, and a very good picker from the country genre would be Jerry Reed.....phenomenal.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 11:52 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Jimi Hendrix...of course.  If he would have lived, music would have went in a different direction.

Eric Clapton is a damned good guitarist too. He just has a great style to his playing.

Jeff Beck. I really don't see how there was only one mention of him in the entire thread.  The dude could do it all.

Tom Morrello has been my favorite for quite a long time though.  The guy is amazing.

I saw Morello last year playing with Bruce Springsteen at US Bank arena.  A lot of the time he just blended in with the rest of the E Street Band, but at times he took over and did his thing.  I've heard him for 20+ yrs, and always knew he has a unique style, but to see him use his tricks live (picking strings above the nut, using his wedding ring as a slide to make the scratching sound, playing with only his left hand) was pretty amazing.  The crowd was probably 65% baby boomers, and they were even digging it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idedgaZ60vk
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I'm surprised no one has said John Fogerty. I don't think he's the best guitarist, but I think he was a great one. CCR is one of my favorite bands, so there might be a little bias.

FWIW I think Jimi Hendrix was the best guitarist
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 04:32 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Not a common mention is John Fruciante....great guitarstist.

Fine guitar player.

(08-16-2015, 11:33 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I'm gonna' put in a name for those who like good old southern rock.  Toy Caldwell from The Marshall Tucker Band.  Did it all with no pick, and did it good.  Watch it all.

Toy be great. Will never die.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2015, 06:11 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I'm surprised no one has said John Fogerty. I don't think he's the best guitarist, but I think he was a great one. CCR is one of my favorite bands, so there might be a little bias.

FWIW I think Jimi Hendrix was the best guitarist

Fogerty is average and in my opinion Jimi was a great guitarist but he was a little sloppy.

All along the Watchtower was amazing but he was not the best Geet IMHO.

Red House was a great blues song...
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2015, 08:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Fogerty is average and in my opinion Jimi was a great guitarist but he was a little sloppy.

All along the Watchtower was amazing but he was not the best Geet IMHO.

Red House was a great blues song...

Sloppy, perhaps, but that's all part of his vibe.  I go back and forth on this, but I think SRV was a better player.  But the reason Jimi is almost always listed #1 is because he completely revolutionized the instrument.  Any rock player that came after him, they're all pretty much influenced by him.  So I think that's why he probably deserves the greatest tag.  Although as we all know, ranking guitar players is 100% subjective.
Reply/Quote
Tommy Tedesco

And for most of the time that he played, I didn't even know who he was.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote

[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2015, 11:41 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Sloppy, perhaps, but that's all part of his vibe.  I go back and forth on this, but I think SRV was a better player.  But the reason Jimi is almost always listed #1 is because he completely revolutionized the instrument.  Any rock player that came after him, they're all pretty much influenced by him.  So I think that's why he probably deserves the greatest tag.  Although as we all know, ranking guitar players is 100% subjective.

....and Jimi AND SRV were influenced by Buddy Guy.....who is still jammin' out at 79 years young. ThumbsUp

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Thumbs Up 
Jon Gomm is an awesome guitar player.

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 09:22 AM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: Jon Gomm is an awesome guitar player.

If you like Gromm you definitely need to check out Michael hedges....

(07-10-2015, 02:17 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Michael Hedges.  Saw him live a couple of times.  Had a different style and sound than anyone else I have ever heard.

Everyone should check this out.  It isn't that long.  The song doesn't start until about the 2:30 mark.  It is really incredible what he could do with this "Harp Guitar".   When I saw him in concert he would even slap the beads in his hair against his guitar as an added percussion element.

He did a lot of cover songs of The Stones, The Beatles, Bob Dylan, and even Shelia E.  But he would always tweak the arrangemnet,

This is probably his most famous song "Ariel Boundries".  Really captures his style

Lot's of great "shredders" in this thread, but if you really want to hear someone with a completely different sound check him out.  Here is his version of "All Along the Watchtower".

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2015, 11:41 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Sloppy, perhaps, but that's all part of his vibe.  I go back and forth on this, but I think SRV was a better player.  But the reason Jimi is almost always listed #1 is because he completely revolutionized the instrument.  Any rock player that came after him, they're all pretty much influenced by him.  So I think that's why he probably deserves the greatest tag.  Although as we all know, ranking guitar players is 100% subjective.

Yeah, i cannot disagree here. Jimi was one of a kind.

BTW, i heard Jimi's fave guitarist was Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top. You are right, ranking guitar players is 100% subjective.
Reply/Quote