Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite breakfast?
What’s your go to breakfast on a Sunday morning? Omelette? Biscuits n Gravy? Farmers breakfast, eggs bacon n toast? Oatmeal? A big ol’ bowl of cereal? When I was in Tennessee a few years back I wanted to try grits. Never had them before, I gotta say....they are pretty bland. What’s up with them? Why does everyone like them in the south? I had to doctor them up with about a tablespoon of butter and load up on the salt and pepper.

So, what are you fixing up this morning?
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
about once a month, I like to make a brunch feast. I like to have fried potatoes with onion, garlic and pepper, homemade sausage gravy and biscuits, and eggs either scrambled or made to order. If the kids are in town visiting, usually scrambled, if it's just the wife and I, I'll usually make them to order.

*if it's just me? I'll usually make a 3 egg omelet with ham and pepperjack, some whole wheat toast with crunchy peanut butter.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I enjoy some homemade biscuits and gravy the most. I use half hot and half mild or sage sausage. Would like to use more hot but the kids probably wouldn’t like it. If I was better at making omelets I may say them but the only way I can make them is in an omelette maker and it’s just not the same.

Fried Eggs, bacon and toast is whats on the menu this morning. I’m not a fan of grits, oatmeal, cereal for weekend breakfast but throughout the week we will eat em (except grits).

Add some bacon goetta to this morning breakfast. Forgot I had some in the fridge.
Reply/Quote
Eggs scrambled, sometimes with cheese on top.. Bacon. Hash Browns. Buttered toast to put the scrambled eggs on. Glass of orange juice. Glass of milk. On the side, a couple of pancakes with butter and maple syrup. Maybe extra toast buttered with jelly on it.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2018, 11:46 AM)BengalHawk62 Wrote:   When I was in Tennessee a few years back I wanted to try grits.  Never had them before, I gotta say....they are pretty bland.  What’s up with them?  Why does everyone like them in the south?  I had to doctor them up with about a tablespoon of butter and load up on the salt and pepper.  

Yeah they are pretty bland. Specially when you hear so much about them and then you expect this taste of awesomeness to come over you when you try them for the first time. Can make you feel suicidal for a few days after the extreme disappointment. Butter definitely makes them better but IMO the might just be a good pallet settler so you enjoy the other items on your plate much more.

Once when in South Carolina I went to a small diner and had brains and eggs. Had to try it. Kinda tasted like braunschweiger tbh. But I like braunschweiger so it was a win, but not for breakfast.

Wife and I go to a small diner in town after church on Sundays and usually order a plate that has eggs, sausage, jalepenos, onion, potatoes, bacon and peppers all mixed together. Pretty dang good and usually neither of us can eat it all.

Reply/Quote
My favorite breakfast consists of biscuits and sausage gravy, hash browns, and scrambled eggs with cheese on top. But being diabetic, I don't eat this very often.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Ideal breakfast:

Best breakfast cereal is Raisin Bran. 

Best breakfast and all time meat is bacon.

I love Ketchup on over easy eggs with buttered toast with Franks Red Hot.

I like my hashbrowns a little burnt.

Gotta have onions on everything.

Black Coffee is always the best (but just realized I haven't had a glass of milk this year... Geez, I dont keep it in the fridge).

Jalepeno's with breakfast is always a plus (except with raisin bran).

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2018, 01:32 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Yeah they are pretty bland. Specially when you hear so much about them and then you expect this taste of awesomeness to come over you when you try them for the first time. Can make you feel suicidal for a few days after the extreme disappointment. Butter definitely makes them better but IMO the might just be a good pallet settler so you enjoy the other items on your plate much more.

Once when in South Carolina I went to a small diner and had brains and eggs. Had to try it. Kinda tasted like braunschweiger tbh. But I like braunschweiger so it was a win, but not for breakfast.

Wife and I go to a small diner in town after church on Sundays and usually order a plate that has eggs, sausage, jalepenos, onion, potatoes, bacon and peppers all mixed together. Pretty dang good and usually neither of us can eat it all.

I like grits, but only made by someone who grew up making them.  (kinda like I learned how to make gravy when I was 8)  If I make grits, they suck.  

But yes, must have butter.  I like to add a little honey or maple syrup in a pinch, on mine.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2018, 04:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I like grits, but only made by someone who grew up making them.  (kinda like I learned how to make gravy when I was 8)  If I make grits, they suck.  

But yes, must have butter.  I like to add a little honey or maple syrup in a pinch, on mine.

Ahhh. Maple syrup would definitely be better. Next time I order grits I will treat it like a pancake. Sounds kinda like something I want to try again.

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2018, 04:57 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Ahhh. Maple syrup would definitely be better. Next time I order grits I will treat it like a pancake. Sounds kinda like something I want to try again.

Maple syrup on Goetta also works well. Just a little for the flavor and sweetness is all you need. Serve with scrambled cheese eggs, biscuits and Irish butter. Oh, don't forget the lipitor!
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2018, 05:30 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Maple syrup on Goetta also works well. Just a little for the flavor and sweetness is all you need. Serve with scrambled cheese eggs, biscuits and Irish butter. Oh, don't forget the lipitor!

Had to google Irish butter. Nice! When reading, discovered U.S. butter is unhealthier than Irish and also has less flavor. Thanks for the reference.

Reply/Quote
Without taking health into consideration: Fried bologna, fried eggs over-easy, toast

Taking health into consideration: Egg white omelet with mushrooms, fat free cheese, and turkey pepperonis smothered in salsa
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2018, 08:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Without taking health into consideration: Fried bologna, fried eggs over-easy, toast

Taking health into consideration: Egg white omelet with mushrooms, fat free cheese, and turkey pepperonis smothered in salsa

Fried Bologna sounds better.

Reply/Quote
My favorite is a bed of hashbrowns with biscuits and gravy on top with 2 over easy eggs on that. A side of peanut butter toast and a big glass of OJ. That’s a good breakfast that’ll stick with ya.

If I’m considering health, I’ll have wheat toast instead of white. :)
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
My old traditional: Miller lite

Nowadays: Fried egg on Hawaiian bread with pulled pork, or scrambled eggs and salmon.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2018, 11:46 AM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: What’s your go to breakfast on a Sunday morning?  Omelette? Biscuits n Gravy?  Farmers breakfast, eggs bacon n toast?  Oatmeal? A big ol’ bowl of cereal?   When I was in Tennessee a few years back I wanted to try grits.  Never had them before, I gotta say....they are pretty bland.  What’s up with them?  Why does everyone like them in the south?  I had to doctor them up with about a tablespoon of butter and load up on the salt and pepper.  

So, what are you fixing up this morning?

(02-25-2018, 01:32 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Yeah they are pretty bland. Specially when you hear so much about them and then you expect this taste of awesomeness to come over you when you try them for the first time. Can make you feel suicidal for a few days after the extreme disappointment. Butter definitely makes them better but IMO the might just be a good pallet settler so you enjoy the other items on your plate much more.

You boys are doing grits wrong.  A bit of butter, a bit of the jelly/jam/preserves of your flavor, and enjoy.  Cheese grits are the way to go for a more savory flavor. :andy:

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2018, 01:42 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: My favorite breakfast consists of biscuits and sausage gravy, hash browns, and scrambled eggs with cheese on top.  But being diabetic, I don't eat this very often.

Sadly, I'm in your boat as well.  I like all of that, add a piece of country ham and some grits.

These days I mostly do cheesy eggs with some smoked salmon added to them for my weekend breakfasts.  It's fruit and light carbmaster yogurt all week for me, with some oatmeal here and there.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I haven't eaten "breakfast" in nearly 2 years. But two eggs over medium, hash browns, bacon and whole wheat toast was my go to.
Reply/Quote
Some sweet biscuits with bacon or goetta and fried egg whites was my go to for a very long time.

I'm now a few months in to a bit of a lifestyle change that excludes red meat so I've turned into a french toast and hash browns guy. Giving up breakfast meats has easily been the most difficult part of my life since Thanksgiving.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(02-26-2018, 12:08 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Some sweet biscuits with bacon or goetta and fried egg whites was my go to for a very long time.

I'm now a few months in to a bit of a lifestyle change that excludes red meat so I've turned into a french toast and hash browns guy. Giving up breakfast meats has easily been the most difficult part of my life since Thanksgiving.

Sad to learn that.  Glad that you're coping with the changes.

However, I always just assumed that your favorite breakfast would have been, well...  Cupcakes!

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote