Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite horror movies
So we’ve done comedies and westerns, but with Fall right around the corner it seems we should have a horror thread as well. So what are everyone’s favorites?

Some of mine...

The Shining
The Thing
Night of The Living Dead
Rosemary’s Baby
Suspiria
American Psycho

A few good “recent” ones...

Hereditary
The Witch
It Follows

The Netflix series The Haunting of Hill House was very good as far as series goes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
[Image: hqdefault.jpg]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I would consider American Psycho more of a Thriller, but either way, it's a bloody-awesome film.

I'm not a big horror fan at all and I really only watch what interests me, thus, in no particular order:

- Hobo With a Shotgun (technically not a horror)
- Dawn of the Dead (2004) probably my favourite Horror film ever
- My Bloody Valentine 3D
- It (2017)
- Us (more of a thriller, but can qualify)
- Get Out (one of the best films of the last 10 years, also much more of a thriller than Us)
- Apostle (superb film, Gareth Evans is boss)
- Neighbour no. 13 (Japanese Film, based on a Manga)

That's all I got!

(08-26-2020, 12:12 AM)bfine32 Wrote: [Image: hqdefault.jpg]

"Your mother sucks cocks in hell!"

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2020, 12:30 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I would consider American Psycho more of a Thriller, but either way, it's a bloody-awesome film.

I'm not a big horror fan at all and I really only watch what interests me, thus, in no particular order:

- Hobo With a Shotgun (technically not a horror)
- Dawn of the Dead (2004) probably my favourite Horror film ever
- My Bloody Valentine 3D
- It (2017)
- Us (more of a thriller, but can qualify)
- Get Out (one of the best films of the last 10 years, also much more of a thriller than Us)
- Apostle (superb film, Gareth Evans is boss)
- Neighbour no. 13 (Japanese Film, based on a Manga)

That's all I got!

"Your mother sucks cocks in hell!"

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

I think American Psycho counts as horror. It feels appropriate to watch around Halloween time anyway. Axe wielding killer and all.

The Dawn of the Dead remake is pretty solid. I do prefer the original though. I got to meet Tom Savini at a convention years ago, which was pretty cool.

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2020, 12:12 AM)bfine32 Wrote: [Image: hqdefault.jpg]

Definitely one of the best ever. I actually like the 3rd one a lot as well.

Reply/Quote
From dusk till dawn
Dawn of the dead
Halloween
Jeepers creepers

Reply/Quote
I am not a big fan of the horror genre, but I watch a lot of films with my kids.

The films by Ari Aster, "Heredity" and "Midsommar", are grossly overrated. Heredity was just a mish-mash of a bunch of random scary movie tropes that did not even come together in a logical story. And "Midsommar" had so many comical scenes in it I think it was actually supposed to be a parody of a horror movie.

Jordan Peele's "Us" was also overrated, but at least it was a decent movie. It just wasn't the epic masterpiece some people claimed.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2020, 12:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am not a big fan of the horror genre, but I watch a lot of films with my kids.

The films by Ari Aster, "Heredity" and "Midsommar", are grossly overrated. Heredity was just a mish-mash of a bunch of random scary movie tropes that did not even come together in a logical story. And "Midsommar" had so many comical scenes in it I think it was actually supposed to be a parody of a horror movie.

Jordan Peele's "Us" was also overrated, but at least it was a decent movie. It just wasn't the epic masterpiece some people claimed.

Ari Aster is one of the best young director’s in the business. I’ve loved both his films so far. Hereditary has one of the greatest performances from an actress you will ever see by Toni Collette (she only got snubbed for an Oscar because it’s horror), and has some scenes that I will never be able to get out of my head. I don’t get “scared” by any movies, but Hereditary is one of the most disturbing I’ve ever seen. And not just that scene either. The whole movie. The way it deals with grief, and mental illness was just done completely brilliantly. It’s a modern horror masterpiece as far as I’m concerned. And the story was perfectly logical. Some people didn’t care for the exposition dump at the end, but it worked for me.

Midsommar wasn’t quite as good, but I still loved it. Another amazing performance from his leading lady, this time Florence Pugh. Similar themes in grief, and loss. Extremely believable characters. And again some truly shocking scenes, without relying on jump scares and heightened music. I’ve always loved The Wicker Man, and Midsommar did an excellent job at telling a similar story without it being a rip-off. I even went and saw it a second time in the theater when the director’s cut was released. Needless to say, but I’m all in anything Aster does going forward.

Us is another very divisive one, but I respect Peele going for something ambitious like that, and I’ll take it over the majority of crap horror movies put out these days. In a world where everything is a franchise, made solely to cash in, at least Peele has something to say with his films. Even if the story had some issues. Lupita Nyong'o was amazing in the duel roles. Get Out was better, but Us felt closer to an old school horror movie to me.

So basically, like pretty much always, I completely disagree with fredtoast.

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2020, 12:48 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Definitely one of the best ever. I actually like the 3rd one a lot as well.

Yep

I'll have to think  minute to come up with a list. I like horror that leans hard towards suspense much more than gore.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2020, 05:52 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep

I'll have to think  minute to come up with a list. I like horror that leans hard towards suspense much more than gore.

Speaking of suspense...the “Master of Suspense” Alfred Hitchcock made one of the GOAT. Psycho is definitely way up there. I should have included it on my list.

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2020, 05:58 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Speaking of suspense...the “Master of Suspense” Alfred Hitchcock made one of the GOAT. Psycho is definitely way up there. I should have included it on my list.

Psycho would be way up there on my list.
Reply/Quote
I'm not a big fan of the genre. But I do like horror movies with emphasis on comedy. For me, it's Tremors and Army of Darkness for that very reason.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2020, 06:23 PM)McC Wrote: I'm not a big fan of the genre. But I do like horror movies with emphasis on comedy. For me, it's Tremors and Army of Darkness for that very reason.

Evil Dead 2 is my favorite from that series.

My favorite horror/comedy is definitely Shaun of the Dead. Zombieland is good, too. I love Woody Harrelson’s character. A good recent one is Ready or Not. Really enjoyed it. The actress is a spitting image of Margot Robbie.

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2020, 06:34 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Evil Dead 2 is my favorite from that series.

My favorite horror/comedy is definitely Shaun of the Dead. Zombieland is good, too. I love Woody Harrelson’s character. A good recent one is Ready or Not. Really enjoyed it. The actress is a spitting image of Margot Robbie.

Big fan of both of those movies and I can't stand the whole zombie thing as a whole, mainly because the whole idea of it has more holes that Swiss cheese.  Come to think of it, a lot of what goes on in horror movies turns me off because of all the holes one usually finds in a horror flick.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2020, 07:04 PM)McC Wrote: Big fan of both of those movies and I can't stand the whole zombie thing as a whole, mainly because the whole idea of it has more holes that Swiss cheese.  Come to think of it, a lot of what goes on in horror movies turns me off because of all the holes one usually finds in a horror flick.

That’s why some of the most disturbing horror movies have no supernatural elements. Just crazy ass people (which is all too real). Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Psycho, the original Friday the 13th, Halloween, etc.

One underrated like that is the The Strangers. It’s not perfect, but home invasion movies can be pretty effective.

Reply/Quote
In no order, just movies I like to watch during the Halloween season,

Seven
Psycho
Night of the Living Dead
Signs
Halloween (The original)
The Shining
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
I'm not much into horror movies with the exception of nuclear war movies.

Thus, these are my favorites.

The Day After
Threads
Countdown to Looking Glass
Panic in the Year Zero
The War Game
Special Bulletin
By Dawn's Early Light
Reply/Quote
Happy birthday to me
A nightmare on elm street
The grudge
Alien 1 and 2
Poltergeist
Does jaws count?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2020, 03:34 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Happy birthday to me
A nightmare on elm street
The grudge
Alien 1 and 2
Poltergeist
Does jaws count?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaws is an interesting one, I mean, it technically has a monster killing people, but it’s certainly not a typical horror movie. Regardless, it’s an absolute classic. Probably my favorite Spielberg film.

Love Alien 1 & 2 as well. I go back and forth on which one I like better. The original is basically a horror movie set in space, and still holds up very well to this day. The 2nd one is great, but more of a action movie. It’s full of iconic scenes though. Ripley fighting the queen in the loader suit is as badass as it gets.

Reply/Quote
The Thing (my personal favorite)

Alien

Evil Dead Remake - I thought they did a surprisingly good job with this movie. I am a fan of the originals and expected a similar product with the remake but it is a straight up horror movie.

Us

It - Remake

Hereditary
Reply/Quote