Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heading to UC
(02-03-2022, 11:18 AM)pally Wrote: According to Troy Blackburn, money isn't the issue. However, since this will come out of Brown's pocket, money might be a consideration.  Mr Brown wants to keep all of the Bengals facilities together...downtown.  Therefore the only place available to build an indoor practice facility is the Bengals practice field.  But, that location can't be built on.  Not only are they dealing with the highway and other roads but apparently a large number of buried utility lines underneath the lot with no place to move them.

Maybe when Mr. Brown dies, Katie and Troy will consider the suburbs or NKY as a location for building

Anything can be moved.  It's a question of how much it will cost and who is going to pay it.  That has probably been the bone of contention all along. 

You would think that the city would be thrilled that the Bengals want to maintain and build their presence downtown.  Instead they've spent the last decade plus creating an adversarial relationship with the team while using the stadium tax as a slush fund.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 03:11 PM)Roland Wrote: Anything can be moved.  It's a question of how much it will cost and who is going to pay it.  That has probably been the bone of contention all along. 

You would think that the city would be thrilled that the Bengals want to maintain and build their presence downtown.  Instead they've spent the last decade plus creating an adversarial relationship with the team while using the stadium tax as a slush fund.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/11/23/bengals-blackburns-paul-brown-stadium-viable-several-decades/2083179002/

Quote:The lease, signed in 1996, will expire in 2026. At that point, a series of five rolling two-year options are on the table to keep it alive up to 2036.

The rearrangement of pieces between both sides included the team giving up nearly $30 million owed to them by the county and capping the total on potential future stadium enhancements. On the other side, the county agreed to purchase the Hilltop Ready Mixed Concrete property next to the practice field and give the Bengals access for gameday parking and an option for a future indoor practice facility while expanding the riverfront.  

Quote:The conversation thrust to the forefront during these negotiations as the Bengals put into the deal the ability to build an indoor facility on the Hilltop property if they so choose.

The Bengals currently bus to the University of Cincinnati when an indoor area is necessary for practices -- almost always in the final weeks of the season -- to use the Bearcats’ bubble.

Troy disputes the idea they are now more willing to build an indoor area, arguing hesitation comes due to logistics, not willingness.
“It’s an easy idea that’s hard to implement,” he said. “I think we’ve been willing from the outset, what we’ve struggled with is what is a great option?”

They point out the electrical substation’s lines to the Downtown power grid run under the Bengals’ current practice fields, making a structure built on top of them extremely complicated. For one, the power company would need access available to go underneath at any point. Also, with an indoor area, it would make holding training camp on the fields tough to pull off due to the need for more space. Also, the idea of adding a grass field under the bridges brings in the issue of not having enough sunlight.

“If we had 30 acres over there it would have been done,” Troy said. “We don’t.”

He went on to state the easiest solution would be to find 30 acres out in the suburbs and build a facility out there – much like we are seeing FC Cincinnati do in Milford – but doing so would take an employer out of Downtown and be a financial hit to the county losing the earning tax. Not something they are willing to do.

The additional space on the Hilltop property could open up new options and add feasibility for the addition.

“If it were simple, we would spend the money and build it tomorrow, it’s unfortunately not simple,” Troy said. “It’s something that has been in people’s eyes. I think it will continue to be in people’s eyes. We’ll give it a fresh set of looks again … That’s why that was put into the agreement, we’ve had the right to do that on the practice fields throughout, this maybe gives us another option you could take a look at.”

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 02:26 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: People always act like McAfee speaks for players.  HE WAS A PUNTER.  Of course a punter who spends 75% of practice standing around wants to be indoors in December/January.  Real football players could care less they are tough dudes.  You think DJ Reader and Sam Hubbard are crying about a little cold or a little rain?

As a person who has spent time in a little cold and a little rain; ****, yeah I think they’re crying about a little cold or a little rain.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 03:57 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: As a person who has spent time in a little cold and a little rain; ****, yeah I think they’re crying about a little cold or a little rain.

Well thats probably why they are NFL players and you aren't.  DJ said in an interview a few weeks ago no one complains about practicing in the cold.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
Never could understand what exactly is wrong with UC's indoor stadium? Why shouldn't the Bengals hold practices there to get out of the elements? Plus, how is it a bad thing to practice outside when we play in the elements in the winter months?

Why all this hand wringing?

UC's practice facility is good for the Bengals to use. It's good for UC. Where's the downside, except for the prima donnas who won't practice except in a luxury facility?

We're a blue collar team, who is homed in a blue collar town, in a blue collar state, playing in a blue collar division. How does anyone think that practicing in a covered area at UC will be any different than practicing in one that says Paul Brown on it?
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 02:04 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Ahem. That Super Bowl was played in New Jersey.
  Ahem. Rams/Chargers play in Inglewood Sofi Stadium 12.3 miles from Los Angeles
  Ahem. Giants/Jets play in Metlife Stadium 11.1 miles from NYC
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 04:45 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Well thats probably why they are NFL players and you aren't.  DJ said in an interview a few weeks ago no one complains about practicing in the cold.

I've been where Breech has been and I guarantee you ability to deal with the elements is not a separator. I'd say it has more to do with being athletic freaks. 

NO ONE enjoys being in miserable conditions. It's why man quickly found caves and soon learned how to build shelters. There may have been one or 2 slow learners who didn't understand the importance of a roof over your head, but even they eventually figured it out.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 05:18 PM)Graphicguy Wrote: Never could understand what exactly is wrong with UC's indoor stadium?  Why shouldn't the Bengals hold practices there to get out of the elements?  Plus, how is it a bad thing to practice outside when we play in the elements in the winter months?

Why all this hand wringing?

UC's practice facility is good for the Bengals to use.  It's good for UC.  Where's the downside, except for the prima donnas who won't practice except in a luxury facility?

We're a blue collar team, who is homed in a blue collar town, in a blue collar state, playing in a blue collar division.  How does anyone think that practicing in a covered area at UC will be any different than practicing in one that says Paul Brown on it?

Went through this entire thread to come to this post by Graphic Guy that sums up my exact thoughts...
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 04:45 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Well thats probably why they are NFL players and you aren't.  DJ said in an interview a few weeks ago no one complains about practicing in the cold.

I always thought it was because of my lack of talent.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 11:18 AM)pally Wrote: According to Troy Blackburn, money isn't the issue. However, since this will come out of Brown's pocket, money might be a consideration.  Mr Brown wants to keep all of the Bengals facilities together...downtown.  Therefore the only place available to build an indoor practice facility is the Bengals practice field.  But, that location can't be built on.  Not only are they dealing with the highway and other roads but apparently a large number of buried utility lines underneath the lot with no place to move them.

Maybe when Mr. Brown dies, Katie and Troy will consider the suburbs or NKY as a location for building

I've said all-along that we should be using the indoor practice facility, weight room, and other rehab and exercise options at Griffin Elite here in Northern Kentucky. It's only a 15 minute drive from the stadium and I'm positive my friend that owns it would give them a decent price. I'm not sure how many players still live in Northern Kentucky but it would obviously be a lot easier for them and I feel pretty confident in saying that this place is even better than UC's. 

[Image: o-1.jpg]

[Image: o-3.jpg]

I am glad that we do have UC's to practice in because this weather is a ***** and it's pouring rain now and is supposed to keep going for the next day and a half.

(There's a few soccer-size fields, so it's larger than just that picture.)

Oh, and the turf at their indoor field is the same as in Paul Brown, which makes me think that he already had thoughts of the Bengals practicing there when he built it..........
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 11:18 AM)pally Wrote: Therefore the only place available to build an indoor practice facility is the Bengals practice field. 

Two words. Riverboat.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 07:45 PM)EasyPeasy Wrote: Two words. Riverboat.

Riverboat is one word.  Ninja Hilarious
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 07:37 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I've said all-along that we should be using the indoor practice facility, weight room, and other rehab and exercise options at Griffin Elite here in Northern Kentucky. It's only a 15 minute drive from the stadium and I'm positive my friend that owns it would give them a decent price. I'm not sure how many players still live in Northern Kentucky but it would obviously be a lot easier for them and I feel pretty confident in saying that this place is even better than UC's. 

[Image: o-1.jpg]

[Image: o-3.jpg]

I am glad that we do have UC's to practice in because this weather is a ***** and it's pouring rain now and is supposed to keep going for the next day and a half.

(There's a few soccer-size fields, so it's larger than just that picture.)

Oh, and the turf at their indoor field is the same as in Paul Brown, which makes me think that he already had thoughts of the Bengals practicing there when he built it..........

I looked up the dimensions.  Griffin's turf field size is 30 yds x 70 yds.   The UC bubble is a full 53 x 100 regulation field.  Not to mention, the bubble's ceiling is 75 feet high.  I couldn't find height for Griffin, but that picture looks maybe about 30-40 feet.  

Griffin would be similar to when the Bengals used to practice at Wall 2 Wall soccer in Mason.  That field is 27 yds x 63 yds.  
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 08:35 PM)Cat-Man Wrote: I looked up the dimensions.  Griffin's turf field size is 30 yds x 70 yds.   The UC bubble is a full 53 x 100 regulation field.  Not to mention, the bubble's ceiling is 75 feet high.  I couldn't find height for Griffin, but that picture looks maybe about 30-40 feet.  

Griffin would be similar to when the Bengals used to practice at Wall 2 Wall soccer in Mason.  That field is 27 yds x 63 yds.  

I thought I looked it up and it looked bigger and like there was three soccer fields side-by-side, but I just looked again and it looks like you might be right. 
Reply/Quote