Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feb. 1st MDD Simulation

Reply/Quote
RD. 1 - 18th Selection

JC Latham - OT - Bama - 6'6' 360

When you go out and look there just is nothing in the way of free agent linemen in '24 that are going to be a real help to the Bengals. About the top FA RT is our very own Jonan Williams who graded out overall at 58.5 and that is below nearly every rookie lineman taken in the first two rounds of the '23 draft. 

Latham checks the boxes you want checked for a high end day 1 starting RT. He has the size, strength, length, and football IQ to go along with a nasty blocking disposition. In the run game he is an absolute dozer who can get to the second level and effectively take on defenders on the move and in the passing game he has elite anchor. Shows outstanding feet in pass protection and he looks to always be under control and poised. His blocking comes across as completely natural on tape. You want linemen that have seen the best competition in the country and there is no doubt he has seen that. Building a championship quality offensive line must start somewhere and I believe this is about a solid a start as you can get to pair with Brown Jr. on the edges.

RD. 2 - 53rd Selection

Trey Benson - RB - Fla. St. - 6'1" 223

At selection #49 I had an opportunity to trade down four spots and gain a 5th round selection in a deal with Philly and with what I was looking at on the board and the targets I had I felt this was a great value move. 

My target at 49 was Trey Benson and I was able to move down four spots gain a 5th round selection and still get the player I was leaning toward taking at 49 anyways. I have been a Joe Mixon supporter and I appreciate greatly what he has done for this team. With that said I also believe it is time to move on and I see Benson as a great upgrade and frankly a special player. 

His foot quickness and explosion thru the hole are elite. He shows superior vision and reaction to what he sees and the ability to process what he sees to maximize the blocks of the offensive line. When he sees the hole he immediately explodes into the second level. When he gets in the open field he has more than enough speed to go to the house. While he was not targeted heavily as a receiver, when he was targeted he should natural pass catching abilities. As a pass protector he is very willing and effective. Benson and Brown should make for an incredibly explosive duo in the backfield.

RD. 3 - 80th Selection

Maason Smith - DT - LSU - 6'6" 315

Violent hands and impressive get off speed for a man of his size. Smith also plays with outstanding leverage for being as tall as he is. When you watch tape of Smith you see an interior player that consistently sees double teams and can make you pay when he does not. As with most young DTs Smith will need to continue to hone his game in the area of taking on and reacting to double teams but this demand for attention should certainly help to keep the defenders around him clean to make plays. My hope is that the Bengals realize how important Reader is to their run defense and can work a minimum of a 1 year deal and fingers crossed for multi years but if they do not Smith should be a guy that can help ease that pain. If Reader does return the Smith is a great fit to come in on passing downs and to spell Reader in the running game. 

If you watch film on Smith concentrate on his constant work against double teams and he does not just give up to being blocked but continues to push and fight.

RD. 4 - 115th Selection

Cedric Gray - LB - North Carolina - 6'3' 235

We need talented depth behind Pratt and Wilson and we get that with Gray. He is an outstanding coverage backer and I think we all realize how bad the Bengals have historically been covering TEs. Gray should be able to upgrade in this area for certain. Gray brings excellent length, size, and speed to the position and as well as coverage he excels in blitzing the QB. He is a sound tackler who will need to continue to improve as a wrap up tackler and will need to continue to get stronger at the next level but this should come with the territory of working in an NFL conditioning and strength program. I see Gray immediately moving into the #3 linebacker spot on the roster.

RD. 5 - 147th Selection

Cam Hart - CB - Notre Dame - 6'2" 200

Hart is a long and athletic CB that brings excellent top end speed to the position as well as maturity. Hart was a team captain for the '23 Fighting Irish. He brings scheme flexibility and has shown the ability to play at a high level in both man and zone coverage schemes. Hart was previously a wide receiver and this shows in his ability to process and decipher routes as a defender. Hart should make a great addition to the DB room and may see very early playing time should Chido not be retained as many expect. Hart will need to improve his game when it comes to playing with his back to the QB and learn to trust his instincts and abilities in these situations. Overall, the Bengals get a very experienced and skilled defender with this selection.

RD. 5 - 159th Selection

Javion Cohen - G - Miami (Fla.) - 6'4" 305

Cohen has played for a couple of big time programs beginning his college career at Bama and then transferring to the Canes. Cohen has played tackle an that experience shows up in his pass protection skills inside. He is an extremely athletic lineman who excels at getting to the second level and making blocks in space. He will need to add more functional strength in moving up to the NFL level but this is the case with most linemen. What he has is athleticism that cannot be taught. His ability to pull and seal is outstanding and his football IQ shows in his ability to process how the defensive line is attempting to attack. While natural power may be a slight concern it does not show up in his ability to anchor against inside power rushers. Cohen has been credited with only allowing a single sack at the college level by some sources and other sources credit him in not giving up a single sack in college.

RD. 5 - 174th Selection

Luke McCaffrey - WR - Rice - 6'2" 195

Yes this is the brother of Christian McCaffrey and son of Ed McCaffrey so that should speak to his lineage and natural talent. As with Ed and Christian he displays an elite football IQ and just overall understanding of the game. Other areas that Luke excels at is making the contested catch and his catch radius. While Luke may not have track speed he has functional football speed that he has used to exploit the seams of the defense. Luke shows outstanding ability to make the tough catch across the middle and in traffic. Luke is still learning the nuances of route running as he began his college career as a QB however it is that field leader football IQ that has helped him to mature at the position as quickly as he has. While Luke may never be the WR1 in an offense he should be an excellent high intellect player in the WR room that plays with toughness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqbAIGtBPSw

RD. 6 - 195th Selection

Dallin Holker - TE - Colorado State - 6'5" 241

As a receiver Holker has shown real promise especially in clutch moments. Dallin has shown an understanding of the fundamentals in blocking technique and most of the time is reliable as a blocker but it is an area that he will need to continue to embrace and work at. As a receiver he has shown strong natural hands, good route running, and an ability to separate from defenders. In '23 Dallin had over 60 catches for over 750 yards and 6 TDs. He is a work in progress but the natural progression in strength and conditioning at the NFL level should go a long way in assisting him in adding more strength as an inline blocker. Overall, a high upside addition to the TE room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLev07SEs24

RD. 7 - 234th Selection

Bub Means - WR - Pitt - 6'2" 215

Bub has had a winding road thru his college career which consists of stops at Tennessee, La. Tech, and finally landing at Pitt. In '23 he led the Panthers in receiving yards and TD receptions. Means is a strider that shows good acceleration and decent top end speed as well as a large catch radius. I am shocked to see him available at this point but I am happy to add a kid like this to the WR room. By all accounts he is a real class kid who is extremely positive and upbeat and is not afraid to work to be good. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C9ad-lpV3I

RD. 7 - 251st Selection

Deantre Prince - CB - Ole Miss - 6'0" 183

First and foremost with Prince you have an experienced corner that brings superb football IQ that shows in his ability to diagnose routes and he shows great instincts on the field. He has outstanding feet and really good cover skills. While slot corner may be his best fit in the NFL due to his quick feet and twitch he has displayed the abilities to cover on the boundary against smaller and quicker receivers. Prince may not be the most physically imposing corner but he plays with effort in run support but may need to add some bulk to be a steady stopper in run support. Prince has seen time against some of the best WRs in college football at this time and knows what big time competition is about. The Bengals need to add depth in the room since it is likely Chido does not return and it is uncertain when Ivey will be back from his devastating injury. Prince brings much upside just as Ivey did in the 7th last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVK6wjLh-fo
Reply/Quote
Some nice talent there in the first 3 rounds and you know the McCaffrey kid has good genes
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote