Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feb 1st Mock
This mock is based upon three key moves the Bengals make in free agency;  Allowing Tee Higgins to sign with another team, Signing DJ Reader to a modest one year deal with escalators for health and percentage of snaps played, And in the biggest shock to the bengalsboard community they sign Trent Brown to a 3 year deal worth close to $45M to play RT.

Like 'em or not, this mock is based upon those moves which leaves the Bengals drafting for the future of the interior of the DL, and selecting both a top WR and RB, as well as a strong mid-round TE.

Attached Files Image(s)

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
This would be good under that scenario but if this is how everything actually plays out it would be a huge surprise.
I see no way they let Tee go this season. But hey it’s an interesting scenario with a different mock from most of the other ones.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 01:35 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: This would be good under that scenario but if this is how everything actually plays out it would be a huge surprise.
I see no way they let Tee go this season.  But hey it’s an interesting scenario with a different mock from most of the other ones.

That's the thing, this isn't the same old Bengals front office.  I have a feeling that they realize that they're much better at drafting WRs than they are OTs That is why I see Tee Higgins as easier to replace by a draft pick than an Offensive Tackle right now.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I've still got my old Team Chase membership card in my junk drawer somewhere, lol, but I'm not loving Coleman. I truthfully like his teammate more than him. Still, if Tee walks, we basically have to go WR in 2 at the latest.

Sweat showing up even more overweight than he already was and not impressing at the Senior Bowl has slid him down to the 3rd for me.

Love me some Braelin Allen, though.

Overall, nice idea and a different take. I'm just nervous about the top two picks.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 01:56 PM)Whatever Wrote: I've still got my old Team Chase membership card in my junk drawer somewhere, lol, but I'm not loving Coleman.  I truthfully like his teammate more than him.  Still, if Tee walks, we basically have to go WR in 2 at the latest.

Sweat showing up even more overweight than he already was and not impressing at the Senior Bowl has slid him down to the 3rd for me.  

Love me some Braelin Allen, though.

Overall, nice idea and a different take.  I'm just nervous about the top two picks.

Yeah, I was hoping to get a trade offer to slide back 2 or 3 spots and pick Brian Thomas.  The highest pick that was offered was 38, and I just didn't want to trade back that far.  What about Coleman has you concerned?  In what few games I watched of FSU, he caught a few balls that I thought he had little chance of getting.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 02:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, I was hoping to get a trade offer to slide back 2 or 3 spots and pick Brian Thomas.  The highest pick that was offered was 38, and I just didn't want to trade back that far.  What about Coleman has you concerned?  In what few games I watched of FSU, he caught a few balls that I thought he had little chance of getting.

He's a great jump ball threat, but I just don't see any burst or quick twitch athletic ability at all.  He just doesn't seem particularly smooth, either.  I think he translates to a mid-low end WR2 or WR3.  
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 12:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: This mock is based upon three key moves the Bengals make in free agency;  Allowing Tee Higgins to sign with another team, Signing DJ Reader to a modest one year deal with escalators for health and percentage of snaps played, And in the biggest shock to the bengalsboard community they sign Trent Brown to a 3 year deal worth close to $45M to play RT.

Like 'em or not, this mock is based upon those moves which leaves the Bengals drafting for the future of the interior of the DL, and selecting both a top WR and RB, as well as a strong mid-round TE.

I like a lot of the picks, and also the FAs make sense.
The main thing that's bugging me is giving a 3-year, $45 mill contract to Brown, who was just playing on a 2-year, $13 mill contract, is about to turn 31 years old, and hasn't been playing like a guy worth $15 mill APY.

If you brought that cost down to under $10 mill APY, I'd be on board.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 03:44 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I like a lot of the picks, and also the FAs make sense.
The main thing that's bugging me is giving a 3-year, $45 mill contract to Brown, who was just playing on a 2-year, $13 mill contract, is about to turn 31 years old, and hasn't been playing like a guy worth $15 mill APY.

If you brought that cost down to under $10 mill APY, I'd be on board.

The PFF comparison to was Nate Solder, who with similar performance numbers commanded 8.7% of the signing team's salary cap that year.  I put my "rough" estimate at around what I think will be 7%.

Attached Files Image(s)

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
$15 mil for Trent Brown is way too much. He's not really better than Jonah. Not by much.

Sign Higgins (or at least tag him), sign Reader, and then go from there.

Spending $15 mil a year on 30+ mediocre vets is the last thing we should do.

If I could get Brown for half that, that is different. But I would still pick OT RD1 even if I signed him. Or Tyrod Smith. Though having either, I could take a project guy (Mims, Guyton) rather than the plug & play guys who may be gone (Fuaga, Latham).
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 04:05 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: $15 mil for Trent Brown is way too much. He's not really better than Jonah. Not by much.

If I could get Brown for half that, that is different. But I would still pick OT RD1 even if I signed him. Or Tyrod Smith. Though having either, I could take a project guy (Mims, Guyton) rather than the plug & play guys who may be gone (Fuaga, Latham).

According to PFFs top free agents list, Brown is significantly better than Williams.

Attached Files Image(s)

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 04:04 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The PFF comparison to was Nate Solder, who with similar performance numbers commanded 8.7% of the signing team's salary cap that year.  I put my "rough" estimate at around what I think will be 7%.

Nate Solder was a LT though when he signed that 8.7% deal, wasn't he?
We would not be looking to sign Trent Brown at LT, and most RTs outside of the elite are making well under $10 mill APY.
So I get your logic, but I don't think that's a good comparison given Solder was sticking at LT for that new contract and Bengals would be bringing Brown in to be RT.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 04:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Nate Solder was a LT though when he signed that 8.7% deal, wasn't he?
We would not be looking to sign Trent Brown at LT, and most RTs outside of the elite are making well under $10 mill APY.
So I get your logic, but I don't think that's a good comparison given Solder was sticking at LT for that new contract and Bengals would be bringing Brown in to be RT.

I don't have a paid subscription, so I don't have access to the contract projection numbers.  

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 04:51 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't have a paid subscription, so I don't have access to the contract projection numbers.  

PFF has projected Brown to sign a two year $15MM dollar deal ($7.5MM average). They are projecting Jonah to sign a four year, $64MM deal ($16MM average).
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 04:57 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: PFF has projected Brown to sign a two year $15MM dollar deal ($7.5MM average). They are projecting Jonah to sign a four year, $64MM deal ($16MM average).

Yes, I got to looking around and found that info.  I was way off originally.

Attached Files Image(s)

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 01:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's the thing, this isn't the same old Bengals front office.  I have a feeling that they realize that they're much better at drafting WRs than they are OTs That is why I see Tee Higgins as easier to replace by a draft pick than an Offensive Tackle right now.

Okay men and ladies, our top top needs is protecting Joe,have to go O-line. Guyton is the top stud we need for right tackle. He is a monster and loves our city. He plays super hard to the whistle. He is  the only one other than the Mins dude,who the steelers will grab.No D lineman in the first.Have to go oline first. And I do not like the D guy Sweat,He is lazy and takes plays off. Watch his entire year and you be the judge.There are better D linemen to pick from.This is the year for top O-linemen Tiger Tiger Tiger Tiger Tiger
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 04:05 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: $15 mil for Trent Brown is way too much. He's not really better than Jonah. Not by much.

The problem is that you can't sign Reader in March.  His injury is a 9-12 month recovery.  I can't see any good scenario for signing him in March/April that would make sense unless he signs for the vet minimum.  He can't be in the plans early on.
Reply/Quote