Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Feb Mock - WVUHomer
Hello everyone,

I went into this mock (simulation by mockdraftdatabase.com) as I felt its one of the more realistic out there (AND it has Payne Durham). Yes trades were used but in the later (day 3 only) but unfortunately I don't remember the exact trades that were made (it doesn't show a trade recap like PFF). I traded up and down.

With all the above said, below are the FAs I planned before the mock and I'm not changing these since FA is before the draft:

Resigns:
Perine
Bell
Apple
Flowers

ADG replaces Pratt. Dax replaces Bates

Cuts:
Mixon - cap savings is higher than most RB cap hit.
LC - I think we have to get better and not risk having Adeniji starting

Outside FA
Jawaan Taylor - yes, I know he's decisive but he's started almost 100% of his plays since entering the league. Wouldn't be a Cappa for us but dependable and one of the best FA OTs in the draft. I'm willing to gamble on him getting better while still being on the field. With how JoeyB plays, dependable is underestimated ability. If he commands over 13.5M/yr, I may change my opinion.

Draft:

Pick 28

Brian Branch S Alabama

Notice I had Bell resigned. Even with Bell resigned, this gives us options. I was not expecting Branch to be available but he would be able to give Lou his interchangeable S of the future with Dax as well. Could also play well in the slot in case we decided to not resign Hilton down the road. Versatility.

Pick 60

Matthew Bergeron LT Syracuse

I liked what I saw from Bergeron on tape. Then I saw Senior Bowl. I thought he was more shaky than I was expecting, so I'll have to go back and re-evaluate. Still, talent level at this pick is undeniable so take him and let him and Carman compete after Jonah leaves (which helps us balance for Taylor's contract). Worst case, good depth for OT spots.

Pick 92

Julius Brent's CB KSU

Good H/W/S prospect. I know he performed well at SB but I haven't had a chance to watch his tape yet. (If he's overrated, I'll take the egg on my face as I'm basing a lot on projections and very few clips).

Pick 131

Isreal (Izzy) Abanikanda RB Pitt

Scat back. Over 1800 all purpose this year for Pitt. Able to take it to the house at any point. More elusive than a bruiser but will drop his shoulder. Blocking definitely a work in progress but we really can't get worst than Mixon (my 2 year old could probably block as well as Mixon). Added bonus (in my opinion at least) limited tread use as only started this past year.

(Here's where picks happened)

Pick 166

Charlie Jones WR Purdue

Slot WR that seems shifty and catches well. Was their leading WR.

Pick 171

Payne Durham TE Purdue

Solid solid solid (one more time for emphasis) SOLID TE. High catch radius, 6'5" 255 lbs, good blocker. Highly athletic. Team player (huge fit for this locker room) and this pick wouldn't prevent us from taking a TE earlier or resigning Hurst. Yes, I didn't do that but I felt Hurst's potential asking price is way too high. Honestly, I think we will have to take him round 3 or 4 but good players fall all the time and he may not test well athletically so he could drop here. As added bonus, here's a short from an interview at the SB and tell me he doesn't sound like the guys from our locker. https://youtube.com/shorts/WBvrapDbCic?feature=share

Pick 215

Kobie Turner DT GT

Honestly know nothing about him but have read people on Twitter saying he may be a viable NT. Figured it was worth the pick.

Would love insight on what people like, dislike, love or abhor.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I could get on board with the first two picks, if they were the best available in a spot that could see potential 1st year reps. I'll be honest, I don't watch a lot of Big12 football, so I haven't even looked at the bio on that CB in the 3rd. The RB in the 4th seems not like a guy the Bengals would want as a potential featured back. If he's going to be a COP back, he needs to have exemplary blocking skills, as well as be a solid receiver. The slot receiver in the 5th could be worth a tryout, Purdue is a traditional passing team. Durham in the 6th is a steal. I know nothing about the NT prospect that you took in the 7th.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2023, 08:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I could get on board with the first two picks, if they were the best available in a spot that could see potential 1st year reps.  I'll be honest, I don't watch a lot of Big12 football, so I haven't even looked at the bio on that CB in the 3rd.  The RB in the 4th seems not like a guy the Bengals would want as a potential featured back.  If he's going to be a COP back, he needs to have exemplary blocking skills, as well as be a solid receiver.  The slot receiver in the 5th could be worth a tryout, Purdue is a traditional passing team.  Durham in the 6th is a steal.  I know nothing about the NT prospect that you took in the 7th.

I don't watch much college at all (I strangely never got into it, maybe just forgot they played the games on Sat in my younger days). All my tape study is during offseason draft process.

Izzy Abanikanda was just a back who caught my eye lately. He's 5'11" 215 lbs. He might be a scat back right now but I feel he develop improving his already solid game. The one year of production could mean he lasts longer than some other RBs. He also broke Tony Dorsetts single game rushing record for Pitt.

Charlie Jones just seemed like a solid player and for depth at slot, felt comfortable taking him there for now.

As to Durham, he was my 6th pick but wasn't a 6th rounder lol. I traded down in 4 and picked up a couple 7ths. Used those 7ths I got to trade up from 6th back to 5th.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2023, 11:02 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Hello everyone,

I went into this mock (simulation by mockdraftdatabase.com) as I felt its one of the more realistic out there (AND it has Payne Durham). Yes trades were used but in the later (day 3 only) but unfortunately I don't remember the exact trades that were made (it doesn't show a trade recap like PFF). I traded up and down.

With all the above said, below are the FAs I planned before the mock and I'm not changing these since FA is before the draft:

Resigns:
Perine
Bell
Apple
Flowers

ADG replaces Pratt. Dax replaces Bates

Cuts:
Mixon - cap savings is higher than most RB cap hit.
LC - I think we have to get better and not risk having Adeniji starting

Outside FA
Jawaan Taylor - yes, I know he's decisive but he's started almost 100% of his plays since entering the league. Wouldn't be a Cappa for us but dependable and one of the best FA OTs in the draft. I'm willing to gamble on him getting better while still being on the field. With how JoeyB plays, dependable is underestimated ability. If he commands over 13.5M/yr, I may change my opinion.

Draft:

Pick 28

Brian Branch S Alabama

Notice I had Bell resigned. Even with Bell resigned, this gives us options. I was not expecting Branch to be available but he would be able to give Lou his interchangeable S of the future with Dax as well. Could also play well in the slot in case we decided to not resign Hilton down the road. Versatility.

Pick 60

Matthew Bergeron LT Syracuse

I liked what I saw from Bergeron on tape. Then I saw Senior Bowl. I thought he was more shaky than I was expecting, so I'll have to go back and re-evaluate. Still, talent level at this pick is undeniable so take him and let him and Carman compete after Jonah leaves (which helps us balance for Taylor's contract). Worst case, good depth for OT spots.

Pick 92

Julius Brent's CB KSU

Good H/W/S prospect. I know he performed well at SB but I haven't had a chance to watch his tape yet. (If he's overrated, I'll take the egg on my face as I'm basing a lot on projections and very few clips).

Pick 131

Isreal (Izzy) Abanikanda RB Pitt

Scat back. Over 1800 all purpose this year for Pitt. Able to take it to the house at any point. More elusive than a bruiser but will drop his shoulder. Blocking definitely a work in progress but we really can't get worst than Mixon (my 2 year old could probably block as well as Mixon). Added bonus (in my opinion at least) limited tread use as only started this past year.

(Here's where picks happened)

Pick 166

Charlie Jones WR Purdue

Slot WR that seems shifty and catches well. Was their leading WR.

Pick 171

Payne Durham TE Purdue

Solid solid solid (one more time for emphasis) SOLID TE. High catch radius, 6'5" 255 lbs, good blocker. Highly athletic. Team player (huge fit for this locker room) and this pick wouldn't prevent us from taking a TE earlier or resigning Hurst. Yes, I didn't do that but I felt Hurst's potential asking price is way too high. Honestly, I think we will have to take him round 3 or 4 but good players fall all the time and he may not test well athletically so he could drop here. As added bonus, here's a short from an interview at the SB and tell me he doesn't sound like the guys from our locker. https://youtube.com/shorts/WBvrapDbCic?feature=share

Pick 215

Kobie Turner DT GT

Honestly know nothing about him but have read people on Twitter saying he may be a viable NT. Figured it was worth the pick.

Would love insight on what people like, dislike, love or abhor.

Player comps per NFL for my draft.

Branch -> Minka Fitzpatrick
Bergeron -> Joel Bitonio
Brents-> Tremaine Johnson
Abanikanda -> Isaiah Pacheco
Jones -> No comp
Durham -> No comp
Turner -> No comp

(Yes, I'm doing this to bump for reviews)
Reply/Quote
I would not call Israel a scat back at all. I actually find him to be a very well rounded back who I could easily see being a feature back in most offenses. I think he is the best back in this draft that no one has heard of and the kid is only 20. His best football is definitely ahead of him. I personally have really been high on this kid after beginning to watch more film on him. He went for 320 yards against VT with 6 TDs! I have no idea what this kid is going to run in the 40 but most certainly has functional RB speed and will run away from defenders if he gets in the open field.

To be honest he is my favorite back in the draft from the film I have watched.

Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2Yu_-67Z2I

You will have to check out my latest simulation. I have been warming up to not taking an OT in the first.
Reply/Quote