Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Federal Holidays redo
No requests for "Ronald Reagan Month"?

Or maybe change the name of "Spring" to "Ronald Reagan Season"?
(06-20-2020, 03:41 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Over 1.35m soldiers have died, 1.5m have been wounded, and over 40k went missing for this country. I vote we keep this day.

I'm on board for swapping out Columbus Day for Election Day, though.

I've never seen the point of having 2 separate holidays for it. Just rename it to armed service day or something.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-20-2020, 10:35 AM)CKwi88 Wrote: I've never seen the point of having 2 separate holidays for it. Just rename it to armed service day or something.

One is for those who died, and the other is for those who served or are serving.
The former is a memorial, the latter a celebration.

Same reason we don't combine funerals and weddings just because they are both going to happen in a church... There is a notable mood difference.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Good Post
(06-20-2020, 12:36 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: One is for those who died, and the other is for those who served or are serving.
The former is a memorial, the latter a celebration.

Same reason we don't combine funerals and weddings just because they are both going to happen in a church... There is a notable mood difference.

I guess I'd be content with celebrating all service on the same day, but to each their own. 
(06-20-2020, 12:49 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: I guess I'd be content with celebrating all service on the same day, but to each their own. 

We actually have a day for that. From Wikipedia:

Quote:In the United States, Armed Forces Day is celebrated on the third Saturday in May. It falls near the end of Armed Forces Week, which begins on the second Saturday of May and ends on the third Sunday of May (the fourth if the month begins on a Sunday, as in 2016).[71]

First observed on 20 May 1950, the day was created on 31 August 1949, to honor Americans serving in the five U.S. military branches – the U.S. Army, U.S. Navy, U.S. Marine Corps, U.S. Air Force and U.S. Coast Guard – following the consolidation of the military services in the U.S. Department of Defense. It was intended to replace the separate Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps and Coast Guard Days, but the separate days are still observed, especially within the respective services.[72]

The first Armed Forces Day was celebrated by parades, open houses, receptions and air shows. The United States' longest continuously running Armed Forces Day Parade is held in Bremerton, WA. In 2019 Bremerton will celebrate the 71st year of the Armed Forces Day Parade.

Because of their unique training schedules, National Guard and Reserve units may celebrate Armed Forces Day/Week over any period in the month of May.

On 19 May 2017, President Donald Trump reaffirmed the Armed Forces Day holiday, marking the 70th anniversary since the creation of the Department of Defense.[73][74][75]

Aside from the Armed Forces Day the Armed Forces and the National Guard Bureau are honored on the following days:

29 March: Vietnam Veterans Day (All US Military Branches)
Last Monday of May: Memorial Day
14 June: Flag Day and Army Day (United States Army)
4 August: Coast Guard Day (United States Coast Guard)
18 September: Air Force Day (United States Air Force)
13 October: US Navy Birthday (United States Navy)
27 October: Navy Day (United States Navy)
10 November: Marine Corps Birthday (United States Marine Corps)
11 November: Veterans Day
13 December: National Guard Day (National Guard of the United States)
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-20-2020, 10:08 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The Civil War was the biggest single event in this countries history and it claimed a lot more white lives than black.

The fight for emancipation involved everyone.
And they can be honored on Memorial Day. 
(06-20-2020, 10:11 AM)fredtoast Wrote: We had "election  days" for 150 years before women were allowed to be involved.

The women's suffrage movement was just one part of the fight for equality for women.  That victory (and ongoing battle) deserves to be recognized.

We also had elections before blacks could vote.

The goal is to rey to come up with holidays that don't call attention to one group. But hey just my opinion. If the collective feels each deserve the top 10 then I'm on board. 

On Election Day we could celebrate all sexes, races that fought for and won their right to vote. Heck, I'd be good with selebrating it and replace Independence Day as everyone didn't earn their freedom on that day. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(06-20-2020, 02:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The goal is to rey to come up with holidays that don't call attention to one group. But hey just my opinion.

Ending slavery and preserving the union was a great accomplishment for ALL Americans.  It was made possible by the sacrifes of thousands of white troops. 

Ending the oppression of women was a great day for ALL Americans. It was made possible by voting men.

Why shouldn't white people celebrate the end of slavery?  Why shouldn't men celebrate women getting the right to vote?  To me those are great moments in American history where our nation corrected a problem and became greater as a country.
(06-21-2020, 10:42 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Ending slavery and preserving the union was a great accomplishment for ALL Americans.  It was made possible by the sacrifes of thousands of white troops. 

Ending the oppression of women was a great day for ALL Americans. It was made possible by voting men.

Why shouldn't white people celebrate the end of slavery?  Why shouldn't men celebrate women getting the right to vote?  To me those are great moments in American history where our nation corrected a problem and became greater as a country.

Slavery hasn't ended. Just want to throw that out there
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
I'd lose Columbus Day and make Election Day a federal holiday. Outside of that, I'm good with it.
(06-22-2020, 08:48 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Slavery hasn't ended. Just want to throw that out there

Mr Technicality.

I think Columbus Day survives in part due to Hispanics and Spain’s involvement.

Memorial Day and Veterans Day stay separate.

I get off New Years, Memorial Day, July 4, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. Don’t mess with those.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(06-22-2020, 08:48 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Slavery hasn't ended. Just want to throw that out there

So we should cancel all the Juneteenth celebrations, right?
(06-22-2020, 10:17 AM)fredtoast Wrote: So we should cancel all the Juneteenth celebrations, right?

Well, I know some black scholars that would take umbrage with it being called a "celebration" to begin with, rather a commemoration. Some have said that it isn't something to commemorate or celebrate because of the near immediate institution of mass incarceration to continue the use of slave labor by minorities in jails and prisons around the country. And then you have the ones that think it should be more of a state-by-state thing because of the different times for the ending of most slavery.

But yeah, there are a number of differing opinions on this. I don't personally have one because it's not a holiday for me.