Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feel Any Better About The Wideout Situation?
(01-08-2017, 12:41 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I'd argue against that statement for this reason:  he was a high round pick playing primarily in the slot with two veterans at X and Z.  The last high round pick we gave time to in the slot in these conditions was Jordan Shipley, who had 52 catches compared to Boyd's 54.  Sanu and Jones were splitting time with Binns, Tate, and Hawkins in search of who the #2 receiver would be, so I don't think they ever were given the opportunity to focus on the inside receiver position and master one spot.

The Shipley arguement is a valid one, but how long did Boyd actually get to play with Green and Lafell?  Not only that, but what kind of offensive line was he (Dalton) dealing with this year vs what Palmer had in 2010?  Including the running game?

As far as Sanu and Jones not getting opportunities, I completely agree, but that is one of those arguments of "do the coaches really know better?" and I hate those.  It is hard to say of they were as seasoned as Boyd coming out of not.  I do remember Sanu leading the league in drops on year, and Marvin had trouble staying healthy, which limited his chances.

Boyd has great hands, and very good routes...paired with Core, AJ, and Eifert, I could see him getting 75 balls for 900 yards next year.  I would like to see Core as the home run hitter, Eifert (along with Boyd) as the chain-mover, and AJ as the everything....where he would just look to exploit matchups with how teams defend the rest of the guys.  

I would also like to see some formations with Boyd outside opposite AJ with Eifert and a combination of Kroft and Uzomah in the red zone.  I see a lot of upside in the latter.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2017, 01:29 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: The Shipley arguement is a valid one, but how long did Boyd actually get to play with Green and Lafell?  Not only that, but what kind of offensive line was he (Dalton) dealing with this year vs what Palmer had in 2010?  Including the running game?

As far as Sanu and Jones not getting opportunities, I completely agree, but that is one of those arguments of "do the coaches really know better?" and I hate those.  It is hard to say of they were as seasoned as Boyd coming out of not.  I do remember Sanu leading the league in drops on year, and Marvin had trouble staying healthy, which limited his chances.

Boyd has great hands, and very good routes...paired with Core, AJ, and Eifert, I could see him getting 75 balls for 900 yards next year.  I would like to see Core as the home run hitter, Eifert (along with Boyd) as the chain-mover, and AJ as the everything....where he would just look to exploit matchups with how teams defend the rest of the guys.  

I would also like to see some formations with Boyd outside opposite AJ with Eifert and a combination of Kroft and Uzomah in the red zone.  I see a lot of upside in the latter.  

I believe that is coming soon enough.  I recall reading at the start of camp that the plan for Boyd was for him to learn the slot last year and learn what it takes to be a pro.  My interpretation was that he expand to learning the Z position in the second off season.
Reply/Quote
I feel better about it but if we can't keep Lafell, go ahead and draft a speedster -- maybe a guy who also be another returner. I like Alex on KR but having a spare isn't bad and I'm hoping we let Adam Jones go. That said, I really hope we just keep Lafell, he proved himself this year. I suppose the price will have to be right -- I know it will cost more than last year for sure.

Reply/Quote
still need a true burner that can eat up cushion and make guys miss In space
Boyd has great hands body control but lacks that extra gear to separate
Core is strider but takes time to build up that speed.
LeFell makes a nice vet presence a pros pro.
the overall group has size catch radius but no explosion after catch
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2017, 04:10 PM)impactplaya Wrote: still need a true burner that can eat up cushion and make guys miss In space
Boyd has great hands body control but lacks that extra gear to separate
Core is strider but takes time to build up that speed.
LeFell makes a nice vet presence a pros pro.
the overall group has size catch radius but no explosion after catch

Well said.  I'm excited to see what we can do with this group in 2017.  Adding a young, speedster could make us dangerous.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2017, 05:59 PM)treee Wrote: WR is not a need at all this year imo. If one falls into our lap in FA or the draft, then fine. Otherwise we should be good to go.

I agree Treee. Not a need thank goodness, one spot that looks solid besides QB.

Core i think will be special. Hopefully we bring Lafell back and this sounds likely. Boyd is a real good Slot receiver.

Erickson is a good returner and solid depth.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2017, 05:59 PM)treee Wrote: WR is not a need at all this year imo. If one falls into our lap in FA or the draft, then fine. Otherwise we should be good to go.

Yeah, I see little need to spend a draft pick on a WR unless a spectacular one falls a ways and we have extra picks to spend.

Reply/Quote
My only gripe against the current Cincinnati receivers -- with the exception of Brandon LaFell -- is their lack of downfield blocking ability. The Bengals would have an entire stable of wide receivers with lots of yards after the catch if those guys would actually block for one another.
Reply/Quote
I didn't see anything to make me feel like we are set at WR.

I would love to replace  Lefell with a younger free agent that may not have peaked yet in his career...... I'm looking at you Brian Quick.....
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 02:00 AM)Lawless_1 Wrote: I didn't see anything to make me feel like we are set at WR.

I would love to replace  Lefell with a younger free agent that may not have peaked yet in his career...... I'm looking at you Brian Quick.....

what about alshon? I know the injuries and suspension  but if u can get him for like 5-6 mil? Do u go for it? He's only 26 
Reply/Quote
I thought all 3 outplayed expectations and there is no reason to think that Boyd and Core won't get better. I'm ok with taking maybe 1 WR in this draft, but IMO it's not a need at all especially once AJ gets back and if they resign Lafell.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 10:09 AM)Crowe Wrote: I thought all 3 outplayed expectations and there is no reason to think that Boyd and Core won't get better. I'm ok with taking maybe 1 WR in this draft, but IMO it's not a need at all especially once AJ gets back and if they resign Lafell.

I agree with u to a point. Lafell/core are OK numbers 2s but if aj gets hurt do u trust the offense?
Reply/Quote
If we take a WR in this draft we need a speedster like KD Cannon.

A guy that gets up to speed fast. Wolf brought up Core's slow acceleration and it is a great point.

Once Core gets up to speed he has that extra gear but it takes him a bit.
Reply/Quote