Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feel the Bern!
(07-24-2015, 09:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Except he never said it was okay.

Re-read what he actually wrote.

The internment camps were not okay, but calling them "concentration camps" like Lucy did is just silly.  Some people are actually capable of putting things in proper perspective.

So even though have the American citizens who were put into camps were children.   And in those  camps were not given adequate medical care or food. ...  

So please defend this ....  

Quote:These Japanese Americans, half of whom were children, were incarcerated for up to 4 years, without due process of law or any factual basis, in bleak, remote camps surrounded by barbed wire and armed guards.

They were forced to evacuate their homes and leave their jobs; in some cases family members were separated and put into different camps. President Roosevelt himself called the 10 facilities "concentration camps."
(07-24-2015, 10:36 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: So even though have the American citizens who were put into camps were children.   And in those  camps were not given adequate medical care or food. ...  

So please defend this ....  

No one is defending them.  We are just saying that it is ridiculous to compare them to the concentration camps that the Germans used.
(07-24-2015, 10:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No one is defending them.  We are just saying that it is ridiculous to compare them to the concentration camps that the Germans used.

FDR called them concentrations camps.

Limiting medical care, food, and separating famlies isn't far off

I guess it's ok to do that to people as long as your not doing experiments.
(07-24-2015, 09:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Except he never said it was okay.

Re-read what he actually wrote.

The internment camps were not okay, but calling them "concentration camps" like Lucy did is just silly.  Some people are actually capable of putting things in proper perspective.
Just a blip. A minor inconvenience if you will.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-24-2015, 10:30 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: http://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/history/common/briefing/Filibuster_Cloture.htm

My mistake, it was FDR

There were multiple instances other than the Bay of Pigs.  He resisted pressure to commit in Vietnam on many occasions.

While Kennedy was alive, about 16,000 US military advisers were deployed to Vietnam.  Around 500,000 are deployed under the Johnson administration.

I'm not sure what your link has to do with my question.

Ok there were multiple instances other than the Bay of Pigs, but there was the Bay of Pigs and there was Vietnam and he was in office less than 3 years. Not the big resister you are making him out to be.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(07-24-2015, 09:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote:  Some people are actually capable of putting things in proper perspective.

But Michaelsean is not one of them.

(07-25-2015, 12:20 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Just a blip.  A minor inconvenience if you will.

He can't make a comment without resorting to histrionics.
(07-25-2015, 07:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But Michaelsean is not one of them.

He can't make a comment without resorting to histrionics.

Yeah I'm not the one who called it a blip.

(07-25-2015, 08:54 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Yeah I'm not the one who called it a blip.

It was a blip when you put it in perspective.

Thanks for proving my point that you are unable to put things in perspective.

110,000 Japanese Americans interned, 1,800 deaths with most due to natural causes

Compared to

2.7 million murdered in Nazi death camps.

Half a million civilian deaths from just two hydrogen Bombs.
(07-25-2015, 09:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It was a blip when you put it in perspective.

Thanks for proving my point that you are unable to put things in perspective.

110,000 Japanese Americans interned, 1,800 deaths with most due to natural causes

Compared to

2.7 million murdered in Nazi death camps.

Half a million civilian deaths from just two hydrogen Bombs.

A blip is an insignificant event.  That was not an insignificant event.

I would say that saying someone cannot make a comment without histrionics would be an example of histrionics.

(07-25-2015, 09:56 PM)michaelsean Wrote: A blip is an insignificant event.  That was not an insignificant event.

It is a blip in perspective to the other atrocities of the war.

I am not going to argue semantics.  Instead I am going back to the original point. It is silly to compare the American internment camps where no one was intentionally murdered to the Nazi concentration camps where 2.7 million people were intentionally murdered.