Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feelings on Mike Pettine
Didn't realize this guy has been completely out of coaching since his stint with the Browns.

I thought he did a decent job there. Anyone who can coach the Browns to 7-9 in their first season as HC has to have some sort of coaching ability.

I think his downfall was the front office's push for Jonny Manziel, and consequently was let go for disagreements with the front office.

He is an AFCN bred coach.... anyone think he would fit here?

I personally liked his no nonsense attitude when I saw him speak.

Thoughts on Pettine?
Reply/Quote
Our front office is arguably as bad as the Browns.

I honestly have no clue who will be able to come in here and succeed.
Reply/Quote
I like the guy... he looks like the type of coach who would, on 4th and 1 in a crucial situation, tell his team...
"Go out there and get a f**king yard!"
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 11:24 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Our front office is arguably as bad as the Browns.

I honestly have no clue who will be able to come in here and succeed.

We might as well just burn the stadium down and kill ourselves then, right?  All hope is forever lost.  Maybe you should make another thread.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 11:40 PM)Tomkat Wrote: I like the guy... he looks like the type of coach who would, on 4th and 1 in a crucial situation, tell his team...
"Go out there and get a f**king yard!"

Agreed, he atleast LOOKS like a guy that would get under a players a**

Anything looks good when compared to Marv tho!
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 11:44 PM)McC Wrote: We might as well just burn the stadium down and kill ourselves then, right?  All hope is forever lost.  Maybe you should make another thread.

Hey...largely the same management team that produced that 27% win percentage before Marvin is in place! They'll turn things around!
Reply/Quote
7-9 then 3-13, and out of the league last 2 years.

Can we aim a little higher than bottom of the barrel?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 11:20 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Didn't realize this guy has been completely out of coaching since his stint with the Browns.

I thought he did a decent job there. Anyone who can coach the Browns to 7-9 in their first season as HC has to have some sort of coaching ability.

I think his downfall was the front office's push for Jonny Manziel, and consequently was let go for disagreements with the front office.

He is an AFCN bred coach.... anyone think he would fit here?

I personally liked his no nonsense attitude when I saw him speak.

Thoughts on Pettine?

Ye... You're kidding, right?
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 11:57 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Hey...largely the same management team that produced that 27% win percentage before Marvin is in place! They'll turn things around!

Then why post? 

Then why follow the team?

Then why be here?

If all hope is lost, burn your gear, delete your account, and change your team. 

Seriously dude, if there is absolutely no hope and you've not noticed any change with things then you should stop following the team.

Insanity = Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

I see changes, I see Mike Brown bailing on his old methods when he got Marvin. I see him over time listening to others on draft strategy. I still see mistakes and there is still needed changes, but he made a good move when he hired Marvin all those years ago to turn things around and the team is no where near as bad as it was then. Why is it so hard to think he could make another hire that takes that next step and actually wins?

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Some 23 NFL teams have appeared in a Super Bowl since we last won 1 playoff game. You guys are fooling yourselves if you think a new HC is going to turn this franchise into a consistent winner.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 12:36 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Some 23 NFL teams have appeared in a Super Bowl since we last won 1 playoff game. You guys are fooling yourselves if you think a new HC is going to turn this franchise into a consistent winner.

Then honestly, why do you bother? You seem far too focused on the negatives these days. 
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 12:32 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Then why post? 

Then why follow the team?

Then why be here?

If all hope is lost, burn your gear, delete your account, and change your team. 

Seriously dude, if there is absolutely no hope and you've not noticed any change with things then you should stop following the team.

Insanity = Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

I see changes, I see Mike Brown bailing on his old methods when he got Marvin. I see him over time listening to others on draft strategy. I still see mistakes and there is still needed changes, but he made a good move when he hired Marvin all those years ago to turn things around and the team is no where near as bad as it was then. Why is it so hard to think he could make another hire that takes that next step and actually wins?

Well said
Reply/Quote
Maybe I'll start some threads about how our offense has too many weapons like I saw in the offseason and how we'd be 11-5?

It's quite easy to see how mismanaged this team is. We had a bad offensive line last year and allowed our 2 best lineman go...and fans talked about how great we'd be regardless.

Most people on this board live in willful ignorance.

Like switching HC's will fix the team. We have 10 guys on PFF that rank Poor. Among the worst starters at their position.

Basically free agent losses ripped this team apart over the past 2 offseasons...then bad drafts sunk it from there...and I call it like it is and people can't handle it.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 12:46 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Maybe I'll start some threads about how our offense has too many weapons like I saw in the offseason and how we'd be 11-5?

It's quite easy to see how mismanaged this team is. We had a bad offensive line last year and allowed our 2 best lineman go...and fans talked about how great we'd be regardless.

Most people on this board live in willful ignorance.

Like switching HC's will fix the team. We have 10 guys on PFF that rank Poor. Among the worst starters at their position.

Basically free agent losses ripped this team apart over the past 2 offseasons...then bad drafts sunk it from there...and I call it like it is and people can't handle it.

I don't know about others but I can "handle it" just fine. In fact, I agree with most of your skepticism as I'm not overly confident we will be winners post-Marvin either. But lately you just seem hell-bent on spreading negativity. Whenever someone says something positive about the team or mentions something about hope for the future, you're there to kick them down. It's all negativity from you. I'm sure you're not trolling but it sometimes feels that way. I seems like if (by some divine miracle) the bengals won the super bowl next year, you would still be be voicing your disdain for the front office.

Again, if you see absolutely no hope for this franchise, then why do you even bother?
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 12:23 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 7-9 then 3-13, and out of the league last 2 years.

Can we aim a little higher than bottom of the barrel?

I see posts about Hue Jackson, Josh McDaniels (8-8 1st season, 3-9 the next) and Bill O Brian (under the assumption that he gets fired)...

I think my suggestion is right on par with the rest of em! Smirk
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 12:29 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Ye... You're kidding, right?

Guy took the Browns to 7-9 with a somewhat stable QB situation (Hoyer)

Once Manziel entered the picture, things went downhill. The locker room was a mess.

Ya never know.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 01:43 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Guy took the Browns to 7-9 with a somewhat stable QB situation (Hoyer)

Once Manziel entered the picture, things went downhill. The locker room was a mess.

Ya never know.

I mean, he's not Marv so he has that going for him...

But still, we can (and should) do better
Reply/Quote
He is not especially well-remembered by Buffalo fans.  If I'm remembering correctly, he was a part of a series of years when the coaching staff tried to force-fit square pegs into round holes schematically.  He had a good 4-3 front to work with, but insisted on trying to run a crazy Rex Ryan-esque blitz scheme all the time.  I don't think that I'd trust him to play to the players's strengths and weaknesses based on that.  His opus dei was in 2009 when the Jets roster was stacked(aside from the QB position) and they ran some really complex types of defensive schemes. 
Reply/Quote
Mike Pettine? No. BLEEP no! He’s a loser coach from a loser team who would bring even more losing to Cincinnati. I do not want a Cleveland retread on the sidelines!

What about Rex Ryan? He’s won playoff games.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 08:33 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Mike Pettine?  No.  BLEEP no!  He’s a loser coach from a loser team who would bring even more losing to Cincinnati.  I do not want a Cleveland retread on the sidelines!

What about Rex Ryan?  He’s won playoff games.

No to the guy from the Factory of Sadness, and no to either one of the Ryan brothers. There's a reason they keep getting fired.
Reply/Quote