Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fej
Williams has never done a damn thing . He made a good int against Big Ben 4 years so the Bengals decide to sign him to a big contract. Huge mistake. Fej was all over the place making tackles. Fej n Vigil carried our defense.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2018, 01:39 PM)Sweetness Wrote: You're completely guessing that's what happened on that play and Fej was the one in the wrong, which I think is incorrect. If that's your basis for him not doing well in covering you seem to be wrong. There a reason Evan's turned and looked at Dre after the touchdown and not over at Fej. Either way, you have no idea what the actual coverage was or who's responsibility it was to be covering that section so blaming Fej like you are as fact just seems silly. 

Also, how long did William's have to sit behind someone before he became the starter? It's the exact same situation.

No, not really. Pre snap you can see they are in man coverage across the board. Both safeties go into a back pedal, these two things combine tell you it man with a cover 2 shell. Fej should have been taking depth so he could play where needed, but he declared to early on the inside seam leaving Evans on an island. Ebron ran a wheel route that was part of a smash fade concept Fej most likely thought ebron was going shallow to the sideline as part of a curl flat combo so he committed to the seam up the field. What really should have happened is he takes depth between the seam and the wheel route and has equal ability to drive on either route. If you look on the other side Bates the outside man runs a hitch so bates comes down on the inside to bracket the slant.

I'm not saying he shouldn't get some reps but people declaring him the starter are comical. 
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2018, 01:39 PM)Sweetness Wrote: You're completely guessing that's what happened on that play and Fej was the one in the wrong, which I think is incorrect. If that's your basis for him not doing well in covering you seem to be wrong. There a reason Evan's turned and looked at Dre after the touchdown and not over at Fej. Either way, you have no idea what the actual coverage was or who's responsibility it was to be covering that section so blaming Fej like you are as fact just seems silly. 

Also, how long did William's have to sit behind someone before he became the starter? It's the exact same situation.

This.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2018, 02:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This.

See above I explain the play including why you can tell the coverage along with what the reads should have been based on the offensive play call.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2018, 10:14 AM)Au165 Wrote: He had a decent game but his coverage wasn't all that good. In re watching the Ebron TD it appeared to be cover 2 man and instead of taking a deep drop to drive at the ball his drop was too shallow and he got sucked inside leaving Evans out on an island. I am nervous playing him major snaps against a more vertical offense, but as a nickle LB I think he could offer some interesting options.

Austin commented on that play and others by saying that there were "many lines of miscommunication" and some of that was rookie Bates and some not having Williams.  I thought Fej played lights out.  Coverage and all. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2018, 02:47 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Austin commented on that play and others by saying that there were "many lines of miscommunication" and some of that was rookie Bates and some not having Williams.  I thought Fej played lights out.  Coverage and all. 

His run support was great. When you turn on the all 22 he shows up a lot in the run, but again Indy did little with PA into vertical concepts which I think is where he may get exposed a bit more. We can continue to argue about that specific play, maybe there was a check on to pass Ebron off to Dre (would be weird in man), but I am just not ready to anoint him the starter like some here. More snaps, sure but not the starter after a single game against a east and west team.  
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2018, 02:39 PM)Au165 Wrote: See above I explain the play including why you can tell the coverage along with what the reads should have been based on the offensive play call.

No. You explained what you saw, not what is actually true. Again, you're completely guessing as to who's fault it actually was. I think it's much more telling that Evan's looked to Dre with his hands in the air then turning and looking at Fej if it was his fault. You can clearly see in the replay that Evan's breaks off from Ebrons hip right when Dre turns to run with Ebron. Dre then stops running with Ebron but it was already too late for Evans to get back in position. 

Am I right? Who knows but it's just as plausible as what you're stating happened.

Edit: Found this video clip. Watch the seconds of 8, 9, 10, and 11. You see Dre start to break with Ebron and then stop and go back to cover the flat. Right when Evan's sees Dre start to cover Ebron he turns his head and starts to cover the inside not seeing Dre stopped following. You also see Fej correctly covering over the top for the guy going over the middle of the field.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/trueview-highlights/0ap3000000960330/Andrew-Luck-goes-deep-to-Eric-Ebron-for-his-first-TD-of-the-season-Intel-True-View
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2018, 03:07 PM)Sweetness Wrote: No. You explained what you saw, not what is actually true. Again, you're completely guessing as to who's fault it actually was. I think it's much more telling that Evan's looked to Dre with his hands in the air then turning and looking at Fej if it was his fault. You can clearly see in the replay that Evan's breaks off from Ebrons hip right when Dre turns to run with Ebron. Dre then stops running with Ebron but it was already too late for Evans to get back in position. 

I'm going off a relatively good understanding of actual football concepts. I think the look to Dre was because he thought he was going to help, not that he should have helped, which is different. There is confusion no doubt but the issue is if Dre were to carry Evans guy while Evans continued to trail then you have no one on Hines back at the LOS. I think Dre screwed Evans up by acting like he was going to run with him only to remember he has to stay with Hines in the flat. If it was truly a pass off I would have expected Evans to drift to the sideline more, but instead it looks like he was walling off Ebron in a trail man technique. That stutter from Dre though caused Evans to let up, but I still think watching the 22 based on what happened on the other side Fej should have had depth rather than jumping right on the inside guy. 

You are right in saying it's tough to say what happened, but saying it's all a guess based on nothing is false. To be fair that is same thing PFF does as well whenever they watch tape as knowing the calls in specific cases are tough. All you can do is go off general concepts. Something weird is it doesn't look like PFF assigned the TD to Kirkpatrick or Fej, but instead to Evans which I don't believe is the right call either. Morale of the story football is really complex lol.

Side note: You added the link but I have all 22 so I get the overhead view which is really awesome for anyone who likes to look at things from above.
Reply/Quote
I like Fej and think he's earned some extra snaps on D, but every time a backup makes a couple of plays or has a good game doesn't mean they should be immediately promoted into a starting role. People thought Cody Core was a legitimate #2 or #3 after one game against Baltimore. People thought AJ McCarron was a franchise QB after a handful of games. Backups are expected to produce when their number is called. Many times, they can be productive in the short term because other teams don't have film on them and don't know their strengths, weaknesses, and tendencies.
Reply/Quote
Fej for President !

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote